Quantcast

Thread: Clockwork Knight

Saturn Clockwork Knight

The Saturn debuted with few titles, among them the 2.5D platformer Clockwork Knight. While it had some impressive effects, it didn't really do much to bring the genre into the "next generation" of hardware. It's not a bad game, but it's not exceptional either. Read our full review for more details.

That was such an underwhelming title... short, a bit clunky gameplay-wise, and the optics, while nice to look at, lost their bluster pretty fast (and were more a distraction than an improvement to the overall gameplay).
    I remember Sega magazines back in the day trying to push the game as hard as they could, to a degree where it felt like Pepperouchau was some kind of mascot for the platform. But it soon became apparent that there simply weren't enough Saturn games to report on, so a halfway decent platformer was the best they could fall back to. And even compared to other launch titles such as Panzer Dragoon (which European gamers like myself didn't even get to see at launch) or Daytona USA (or heck, even the first Virtua Fighter) this one felt pretty stale pretty fast. Which would've been okay if other games had followed right afterwards to satisfy the next-generation hunger this snack of a game couldn't satisfy, but there weren't any for quite a while. And only about 6 months later, Sega pushed out the sequel CWK2, which was basically the same game - same (or at least very similar) graphics, same gameplay, even the same basic plot. It felt like they could've released both games as one and at least get a single game of proper length out of it, but my guess is they decided to release it as two games to somewhat bolster the meager starting lineup!

Bottom line, another testament that Sega bungled the Saturn launch.
    Last edited by Phantar; 06-18-2020 at 05:10 AM.
    The funny thing about an oxymoron is, even if you remove the ox, there'll always be a moron. The Question Remains: Y?

Its an okay game, but as said it was too short and is also not really that original for the time outside of the graphics.

I think I'd give it a 6 or a 7 personally.

I prefer Bug! to this. Bug! at least tried to show off the console's power and do something a bit different. The first Clockwork Knight always felt kind of half-baked to me.

Comrade as in friend. Master of Shinobi ComradeOj's Avatar

I like this game, but I agree that it isn't very "next gen" for when it came out. I've always been a fan of mixed 2D/3D graphics though, and I think it's enjoyable in a quirky way.

The gameplay is okay. Not great, but I always have fun whenever I re-play clockwork knight.

Overall, I think I would give it a 6/10, being a little bit lenient since it was a likely rushed launch title.
    Modded consoles:
    Master System (v7040) with s-video & direct AV out
    Model 1 with 10mhz overclock & halt switches
    Model 1 with 10mhz 68010
    Model 2 VA2.3 with unfiltered Mega Amp, & s-video
    Model 3 VA1 with compatibility fixes & s-video
    32X with s-video
    Visit my web site at www.mode5.net
    Or my collection of homebrew Genesis games, programs, and music on SEGA-16!

Master of Shinobi

I don't disagree with that score. It's a seriously mediocre game with a sequel that while improved almost feels more like the second half of the game than a true sequel. The best way to play it is probably the Japanese release that has both games on one disc.

At the time of the Saturn's launch, what was possibly the most disappointing thing about this is that early screenshots had been incorrectly described a showing a game with full 3D movement (by parts of the UK press, at least). It was all a bit underwhelming when it became evident that the game was a 2D platformer.

Good review. So thematically this is a worse version of Toy Story for the Genesis?
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

counter of beans Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Cafeman's Avatar

This game is short and seems only half done, it was a decent weekend rental or bargain bin purchase. The sequel CK2 has more content, some cooler graphical FX, and sprinkled with levels riding the donkey which is fun. The sequel also hides 3 playing cards in each level which adds some fun searching and platforming.

But yeah, I can't disagree with the 5/10 review score here. To compare other early Saturn platformers, I'd maybe give CK2 a 6, Bug a 6, Astal a 7, and Rayman an 8. There was also Johnny Bazookatone which if memory serves was terrible.

Whilst I always felt this game was a bit overrated, I'm surprised by the level of apathy here.

Perhaps its the 2.5d graphics, they were fairly interesting/impressive at the time but I guess haven't dated so well.

I'll just note that Clockwork Knight was a "budget" game -- well, $40US, which was cheap back then. I think it holds up well by sticking to 2-D gameplay at a time when developers were still trying to figure out what to do with the advent of 3-D. This is roughly three years before Namco figured out how to do this right with Klonoa. It's still a rather forgettable title, but it looks nice and plays well for what it is. The transforming robot and end boss were pretty memorable fights, and I like the ending theme.

The Future is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingESWAT Veteran Leynos's Avatar

I keep pondering to get this. I hate the art, If it were a movie it would look like a straight to VHS Toy Story ripoff. Looks like an okay game tho.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One SegaDreamcast's Avatar

I thought the graphics looked great and it felt reminiscent of the DKC series when I first played it in-store. Was one of the games that made me want to buy a Sega Saturn back during the launch.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One

I bought the Saturn on the first week it came out (that super high price tag!! I had to trade in my entire Genesis/Sega CD collection to get it).

IRC, I got a few games that came with it.. a soccer game, virtua fighter, and clockwork night. I think there might be more, but def the soccer game and clockwork knight were included because those were two games i would likely never buy voluntarily.

my impression. Meh.
    it wasn't really terrible but the game kind of game me some flashbacks to another game I played as a kid, Little Nemo on the NES that I hated (especially that dreaded train stage). and Clockwork knight's stage designs reminded me of it.
    other wise the gameplay was a bit too simple, graphics felt a bit uninspired, and nothing really impressed me.

Quote Originally Posted by Cafeman View Post
    This game is short and seems only half done
    Because that's literally what it was - half done.
    It had been detailed in an article somewhere in time that the game was pushed out to have something on the shelves for the console release.
    The 2nd game was meant to be part of the first all along.
    In Japan they were later released as a complete set.

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin View Post
    I'll just note that Clockwork Knight was a "budget" game -- well, $40US, which was cheap back then.
    Because it was only a partial unfinished project that was forced to market.

Japanese Sonic CD FTW!!! Master of Shinobi Ecco's Avatar

I have the small playable demo of this game on the Saturn sampler disc... It probably only has the first stage or two, but it sure doesnít pull me in, very much...

The premise is cool but it just seems like a very standard platformer.

Idk, I never loved toy story so maybe itís just not for me...

Thread Information