Quantcast

Thread: Ace Combat. Never played but curious

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets Leynos's Avatar

Question Ace Combat. Never played but curious

This is a series I never played. Know little about it. Are they very arcadey? Or Armored Core with jets? Is 7 a good place to start?

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Comrade as in friend. Master of Shinobi ComradeOj's Avatar

I can't speak for the whole series, but Ace Combat 04 was one of my favorite games, I played the hell out of it on PS2. I played a fair amount of 05 also. I sort of lost track of the series after that though. The gameplay is more on the arcade side for sure. It's a lot of fun.

I really like the story these games have. 04 told it in a really great way with cutscenes between missions.
    Modded consoles:
    Master System (v7040) with s-video & direct AV out
    Model 1 with 10mhz overclock & halt switches
    Model 1 with 10mhz 68010
    Model 2 VA2.3 with unfiltered Mega Amp, & s-video
    Model 3 VA1 with compatibility fixes & s-video
    32X with s-video
    Visit my web site at www.mode5.net
    Or my collection of homebrew Genesis games, programs, and music on SEGA-16!

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Ace Combat 4 is really the place to start. The 1st game hasn't aged that well. Also, if you've ever played Air Force Delta on the Dreamcast, it's a very simular game.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets Leynos's Avatar

Thank you. Picked up AC7 barring idiotic rallies preventing the mail from being delivered. I should have it Monday.
    May look into Air Force Delta.

Raging in the Streets Yharnamresident's Avatar

Air Force Delta is a strange case where the Dreamcast series entry is the most popular, however the game does indeed have sequels on OG Xbox and PS2.
    Certified F-Zero GX fanboy

I have the OG Xbox version as well. It's called Air Force Delta Storm.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Yeah, I have the first one for PSX and itís pretty lacking.

AC set the mold for arcade flight sims, at least for 3D.

In a sense this is reminding me of Armored Core so far. The mission structure has some similar traits and presentation. Mainly Armored Core 4. (Note I originally typed this as AC4 and wow so many series have the initials AC lol)

Wildside Expert

I remember absolutely loving Ace Combat 2 on the original Playstation. Oddly enough, I've never played another AC game.

1 and 2 are arcadey, most of the other have a more cinematic presentation but still very action focused (think Valken).

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

Ace Combat 4 is one of my favourite all time games and I consider myself a fan of the franchise. Ace Combat: The Belkan War, also on the PS2, was also superb. They are all set in the same alternate world and the fictional countries and subsequent wars are referenced throughout the franchise. I own Ace Combat 7 and, considering myself a bit of an Ace Combat pro, started playing it on hard difficulty. Yeah, I'm obviously not as good as I thought I was because the game kicked my arse lol. I'll have to admit defeat and lower the difficulty when I go back to it.

Thereís a pretty good Ace Combat game on the PSP as well. I might just play it while Iím on the road.

Thread Information