Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jessie Jaeger in Cleopatra's Curse for Mega Drive and PC Engine

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Default Jessie Jaeger in Cleopatra's Curse for Mega Drive and PC Engine

Jessie Jaeger in Cleopatra's Curse is a new game being developed by DarkKobold for Mega Drive and PC Engine.

To be released in three formats:*

Turbografx Super CD
    Turbografx-16 HuCard
    Sega Genesis Cart

Features

480 rooms to explore
    Two endings
    Six unique boss battles
    Three different weapons
    Many items to collectMini-map tracks your progress
    Turbobooster+/TurboCD/ save supportSega Genesis cart will have internal battery save

Featuring art by Michirin and music by Brandon and Derek Fietcher*

Kickstarter coming in August of 2020!

Sample gameplay:

A teaser trailer is coming soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Female Sydney Hunter? Has the usual pet peeve of mine with homebrew platformers, the character moves way too fast and doesn't feel grounded in "physics." Why are there rooms you just pass right through? Why is the whole level whip-jumping?

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    Female Sydney Hunter? Has the usual pet peeve of mine with homebrew platformers, the character moves way too fast and doesn't feel grounded in "physics." Why are there rooms you just pass right through? Why is the whole level whip-jumping?
    Ready?? Second post in just for a "I don't like these kind of games because it's not my kinda style"?

It started out as a take on a specific celebrated classic game that does this. You explore a set of rooms per stage, gathering items and unlocking access until you reach the goal.

The character still jumps and moves similar that that classic game that eveyone who is aware of seems to love.

This particular video is just showing the new grappling mechanic in action. You can see different play mechanics in the screen shots.
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Looks very cool and nice looking game!
    did you work on this BT?

After the last pce/md game im with fear of these conversions between pce and md,
    i will keep looking for more details and updates.

Visit my youtube channel Pyron's Lair
    Take here all my hacks made with love for all of us here
    Want to help me? Here is my Patreon!

Quote Originally Posted by Pyron View Post
    did you work on this BT?

After the last pce/md game im with fear of these conversions between pce and md,
    I'm not involved.

The programmer has a utility to convert PC Engine (HuC?) code to Mega Drive that he said required not too much work afterward to get it running. He posted a video a Mega Drive conversion of an early build a while back and it ran the same as the PC Engine version.

I believe that Michirin is doing the pixelart. She's a longtime Mega Drive fan who has been working on developing a MD game of her own, but I think that she eventually settled on a MD spec PC version of her game.

I'm confident that she'll be able to do a solid color conversion. Even if the palettes/overall unique color count is higher than it looks, you can see how it could be done visually with 4 palettes.

Here is some more info the programmer gave in response to some suggestions:

If you're accepting thoughts still, I know you said you're close to done:
    - agreed on more things to collect, it'll make the swinging sections seem more populated
    - right now your "switch" and "hanging post" icons look very similar, would be good to further differentiate them. I can absolutely see myself trying to hang off a switch and falling to my doom
    - are enemies to be avoided or is there combat? I also assumed those osiris-looking folks were enemies, but you just walked right by them.

It'd be worth taking a look at everything as though you were a new player to just see if everything reads as you'd expect. Good stuff overall!!
    I probably won't add too much in the way of coins - they're used to buy health and upgrades, and that's hopefully already balanced.

You get taught early what a switch is, and can't escape where you first get the boomerang without figuring it out. Also, most switches are inside walls, so that hopefully will prevent confusion.

The god-statues are gate-openers/temporary save points. There's an early one you can't get past without touching it, so you're forced to learn that they're 'friendly.' Also, the first time you die you're sent back to one. I'm a big believer in the mario-esque way of teaching people how things work through slow growth, rather than saying in text. Finally, if you're missing the key required, the god-statue shows you what you're missing.

There are enemies, but few compared to the size of the levels. The main 'feel' of the game is exploration, rather than combat. The boss fights should be interesting enough combat, hopefully.

It will be interesting once the game is released to see how people like the whip. It's all timing-based, as to when you exit the swing, that dictates how much momentum you get. Also, I should note, this section is right after you first get the whip, which is why it's such a whip heavy part of the game. Also, I think the fact that I've done so much playtesting probably makes this section look easier than it is.

It takes me a little under 2 hours to get 100% completion... but I'm speedrunning it at this point. I estimate it will take a player 4-6 hours to find everything in their first playthrough. There's an in-game timer, so I'll be curious what everyone's final time & completion rate is. There's also 8 gold coins hidden throughout the crypt, which are tracked separately, just as an added exploration/puzzle solving bonus.
    Last edited by Black_Tiger; 06-24-2020 at 10:18 PM.

For great justice! Outrunner Tor Landeel's Avatar

Very cool, it reminded me of Rick Dangerous at first, but gameplay is a lot more jumpy.
    ***** トル・ランディール ******
    Cadash Arcade Colors hack:
    https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3905/
    Out Run Arcade Colors hack:
    https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3940/

Quote Originally Posted by turboxray View Post
    Ready?? Second post in just for a "I don't like these kind of games because it's not my kinda style"?
    It's an opinion I would have had in 1993 had I just watched a demo of the same game. Character moves too fast, and the level layout seems too barren.

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    It started out as a take on a specific celebrated classic game that does this. You explore a set of rooms per stage, gathering items and unlocking access until you reach the goal.

The character still jumps and moves similar to that classic game that everyone who is aware of seems to love.

This particular video is just showing the new grappling mechanic in action. You can see different play mechanics in the screen shots.
    I gotcha but what was the classic game?

For this video looks like an open world platformer where you jump, and jump, and jump...
    The art is good but the rooms looks all the same, changing colors by the area, maybe?
    I'll be waiting for a more detailed trailer.

It's an opinion I would have had in 1993 had I just watched a demo of the same game. Character moves too fast, and the level layout seems too barren.

I gotcha but what was the classic game?
    The programmer asked those who recognized the game's original inspiration to not post it. He originally wanted to get the license. Since they IP holder declined, he went and evolved it into something original.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyron View Post
    did you work on this BT?

I saw some screenshots from a recent Mega Drive build and the sprites all look the same. The background I saw lost the pink/red coloring, but might look nicer to many people.

The hud/menus have some changes in coloring, but you'd only know it by comparing the two versions. I prefer the window pattern and map in the MD version.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One Scrobins09's Avatar

Well itís August, is there any update on when this month the KS will launch?

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One Spendle's Avatar

Only just seen this thread and watched the video. The game looks smooth although I'm not sure the video gives me enough to commit to it.

Agree with the comments on level design - screenshots look samey just different level colours. The video also makes the game appear quite simple: easy avoidance of enemies, very few enemies, not a great deal detail in the level design. All of this is fine if that's not the final version and it's going to be added to.

The one element that does put me off though is the 480 rooms to explore. That makes me think this game will take an age to properly play.

Having said all that, I'll keep an eye on developments as I'm always open to having my mind changed. And kudos to the developers, I'm sure there will be more than enough people out there keen to get their hands on copies.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training DarkKobold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scrobins09 View Post
    Well itís August, is there any update on when this month the KS will launch?
    I'm delaying the kickstarter until I feel that the game is far enough along that it will be completed before the kickstarter has fully matured. I'd rather delay the kickstarter itself than to take people's money and push things later on the backend. Too many people have backed video games that never came out, and the last thing I want is a 730 page thread about my game. In the mean time, the teaser trailer has launched!

To stay updated on progress, you can follow us at Kickstarter:
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...eopatras-curse

Or at our Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/Bold-Game-S...12329777192719

A longer trailer will be available at the time of the Kickstarter launch!
    Last edited by DarkKobold; 08-16-2020 at 09:30 PM.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training DarkKobold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spendle View Post
    Only just seen this thread and watched the video. The game looks smooth although I'm not sure the video gives me enough to commit to it.

Agree with the comments on level design - screenshots look samey just different level colours. The video also makes the game appear quite simple: easy avoidance of enemies, very few enemies, not a great deal detail in the level design. All of this is fine if that's not the final version and it's going to be added to.

The one element that does put me off though is the 480 rooms to explore. That makes me think this game will take an age to properly play.

Having said all that, I'll keep an eye on developments as I'm always open to having my mind changed. And kudos to the developers, I'm sure there will be more than enough people out there keen to get their hands on copies.
    Interestingly, the playtesters tell me that the game feels difficult, and I'm actually toning down some of the challenges. The test footage was recorded as me playing, and I think I give it an air of appearing too easy.

I estimate it will take 5-12 hours to fully explore the game, based on the feedback I've gotten. I think if someone is buying a retro game these days, they'd want a game that takes that sort of time frame. When I playtest myself, I usually clock in at under 2 hours, which is where speedrunners (if they end up happening) would probably be.

Thread Information