Quantcast

Thread: Ever liked spinoffs more than a main series?

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets Leynos's Avatar

Ninja Ever liked spinoffs more than a main series?

I can give an example some may not expect with one obvious one. I like the lore of Metal Gear but not into the gameplay of the main series. I do love some of the games that take place in the universe of Metal Gear.

Snatcher.

Policenauts

Zone of the Enders 2

Metal Gear Rising

I love Cyberpunk so Snatcher and Policenauts are a given. I like old adventure games as well. ZOE2 is just one of the best mecha and action games ever made that is still amazing. The fast-paced gameplay is almost PG like. MGR is a PG game and one of its finest.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

AKA Mister Xiado Master of Shinobi Raijin Z's Avatar

All that come to mind immediately are Super Mario RPG and Paper Mario. Shame what has become of such a fun side-series, to say nothing of the main series. I would have said Final Fight, but I don't necessarily like it more than Street Fighter.
    - Where it's always 1992 (or so).
    Youtube - Terminated
    BitChute - Fragmented, but functional

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Super Mario Bros. 3 which is a spinoff from the arcade game Mario Bros.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets Leynos's Avatar

I like SMT but I much prefer the Persona series tho I guess that's not in unpopular take.

I do like Front Mission Gunhazard a lot and to an extent Evolved can be fun except the boss fights. If not for those it would be a really enjoyable mech shooter.

I like Lost Planet 1-2 but much enjoyed EX Troopers even more. Lighthearted anime take. More arcadey. One of my fave TPS games on PS3. Very import friendly.

Mega Man Legends is my fave series in Mega Man. Still pretty bummed about MML3.

Lastly for this post. Nier games. I don't think I could ever get into the Drakengard games but Nier is truly something special from storytelling. The sequel added one of the best stories but also some great gameplay. It's not full Platinum action. A little more pulled back. Tho the game has maybe the best dodge in any game. Both have haunting soundtracks as well.

WCPO Agent

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    Super Mario Bros. 3 which is a spinoff from the arcade game Mario Bros.
    Which was itself a spinoff from Donkey Kong

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Tengai Makyo: Fuun Kabuki Den is my favorite game in general and I'm glad that we got it instead of the originally planned TMIII, even though that early version had much more appealing designs than what wound up on PS2.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    Which was itself a spinoff from Donkey Kong
    Yep. Id thought about mentioning that. You also have the odd Donkey Kong 3, with a guy named Stanley. Donkey Kong Country gets a nod as well.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Front Mission Gun Hazard for sure, better than any mainline Front Mission game.

Sonic Mania, technically a spinoff of sorts?

Megaman Zero 3 is probably the best Megaman game ever made.

Wario Land Series & most Mario RPGS > All Mario platformers.

Final Fantasy Tactics > All Final Fantasies.

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    Yep. Id thought about mentioning that. You also have the odd Donkey Kong 3, with a guy named Stanley. Donkey Kong Country gets a nod as well.
    I hated Donkey Kong 3 the first time I saw it. I loved DKJR, but the premise of DK3 seemed too much like Galaxian.

But I inevitably played because of where one cab was located and quickly got hooked. It's my favorite Donkey Kong game to play.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Master of Shinobi midnightrider's Avatar

I like Memories of Celceta more than I like any of the numbered Ys games, so far.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightrider View Post
    I like Memories of Celceta more than I like any of the numbered Ys games, so far.
    It's not a spinoff. It's a main entry. It's a remake of Ys IV.

Master of Shinobi midnightrider's Avatar

Which one? I recall that being a Wonder Boy 3 like situation.

Yeah original Ys IV had a few versions and none of them is canon to Adols story except Celceta. Falcom didn't make those games. This game takes place directly after the events of Ys II and a year before Oath. The main giveaway is Adol's age. He's 19 and is typically a year older witch each entry.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner

A few pop into my head:

I prefer Mario Golf (GBC) to the platformers.

Monster Rancher Battle Card (I somehow lost this and never finished it... wouldn't mind trying it again) I preferred to the mainline series, but... I didn't really like those games anyway. I'd revisit them though.

This will probably be a controversial one: I prefer the Battle Network series to the mainline Mega Man games. I like everything about the NES games (which are the only mainline games I've played) except for playing them. I like the feel, the music, the ideas, but... I somehow don't have fun. I also just really like TCGs/CCGs. Yu-Gi-Oh sucks, but I can usually find enjoyable aspects in most card games.

Thread Information