Quantcast

Thread: Sega CD guidance

Default Sega CD guidance

Can we talk some sega cd hardware? I own a model 2, I've repaired the fuse that goes bad.
    I've always wanted a model 1, but I've heard mixed reviews about the system. For one them being extremely unreliable. However, I've got an offer on the table for a Mega Drive + Mega CD volume 1.
    How hard is it to mod the Mega CD to be region free?
    Thanks in advance.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training wowsux133's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by promking View Post
    Can we talk some sega cd hardware? I own a model 2, I've repaired the fuse that goes bad.
    I've always wanted a model 1, but I've heard mixed reviews about the system. For one them being extremely unreliable. However, I've got an offer on the table for a Mega Drive + Mega CD volume 1.
    How hard is it to mod the Mega CD to be region free?
    Thanks in advance.
    If you are handy with electronics (soldering, proper cleaning, etc) Model 1s aren't that bad, usually you'll have to do some refurbishment when you get them if you want them to last, things like replacing the capacitors on at least the main board (usually the sub board and CD drive board caps are still good, but the main board caps leak and destroy the board if left unattended) and the replacement of the drive belt is something every Model 1 should have done to it. Maybe some new lube for the drive assembly, but I've never had to do that, usually they're still quite lubed up well on the units I've had in my possession.

As for the region free mod, earlier Model 1s have a socketed BIOS(at least the NA and JP models do, not sure about PAL but I assume the same applies), so you could just pop it out and swap in a region free one, later Model 1s had a BIOS that was directly soldered in. If you have a soldered in BIOS you'll need to desolder it obviously, which is a bit more difficult, especially if you lack a desoldering gun.

Outrunner

Yeah, I was gonna say the same thing: many Mk I Japanese models have socketed BIOSes, so to make them region free is a piece of piss. You can buy a region free BIOS of eBay for a tenner and just pop it in.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

Is there any way to tell if you have a socketed vs/ non-socketed Model 1 from the outside, or is the only way to know to open it up? I need to open mine to check the capacitors, but I've been avoiding it, I've seen enough messed up CD trays in my time to not want to deal with that.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training wowsux133's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zilogandmoto View Post
    Is there any way to tell if you have a socketed vs/ non-socketed Model 1 from the outside, or is the only way to know to open it up? I need to open mine to check the capacitors, but I've been avoiding it, I've seen enough messed up CD trays in my time to not want to deal with that.
    I don't believe so. You don't need to mess with the tray at all to check. Just take out the 6 screws on the bottom, then take out the screws for the RF shields over the disc drive and mainboard.

You could also just copy the CD and modify it to be the region of your hardware. No modification necessary.

This would help save the laser too if your pressed CD is scratched or worn.

Thread Information