Quantcast

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Astro City Mini Arcade

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Spendle's Avatar

My astro city mini has arrived this afternoon but I'm yet to open the parcel. Pretty straightforward shipping giving everything that's going on in the world - it took 5 days in total from dispatch in Japan to delivery. The control pads have been shipped by From Japan as I couldn't order directly through Amazon and are in the country so are likely to be delivered tomorrow.

I'll take a photo when I unbox unless someone else beats me to it!

Lord of the Obscure Wildside Expert LordGeo's Avatar

I got my Mini a couple of days ago, and it's a really cool tabletop unit. It even lets you put the menu into English, though the arcade roms themselves are for the Japanese versions only. My only complaint, sadly, is that it's way too strict on USB controller support, as the only things that have been confirmed to work are the separately sold Astro City Mini pad & arcade stick, and the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive Mini pads... But only the ones that actually came with the Genesis/Mega Drive Mini itself.

The excellent Retrobit Genesis & Saturn USB controllers, which are both fully supported on the Genesis Mini, don't work at all with the Astro City Mini, and there isn't even any sort of "unofficial" support, as literally every single USB controller I plugged in refused to work at all with it. In fact, a friend of mine even tried plugging in the Astro City Mini arcade stick to his PC, only to find out that it isn't even xInput-compatible, but rather uses an old compatibility standard that required him to install Xbox 360 controller emulation software just to get working on a PC.

Considering that the Astro City Mini was developed by Sega Toys, & not M2, this is definitely a case of Sega dropping the ball, but I really do like the Mini overall. I'll just have to get an Astro City Mini USB pad at some point, I guess, unless the eventual hacking this thing will get (because I'm fully sure that will happen) will add in more general USB controller support.

Isolated Warrior Master of Shinobi Dirt Ball Gamer's Avatar

^Good info about the controller situation. Was hoping to use the arcade stick on other devices but it sounds like more effort than it's worth. Just got mine today and it feels really great getting some new SEGA hardware. Very satisfied with everything so far, having a great time with it. I feel like if this thing could have had an optional 3D mode setting like on the 3DS then it would have been a real homerun. Not feasible for several reasons I'm sure, but would be awesome.

Glad I eventually decided to order that little platform base thing for it. I'm sure it's fine playing without it but it brings the height to roughly around the size of my other little mini arcade machines that I have next to it. Just noticed it has tiny little wheels in the back, nice!

The controller feels really nice (for my hand size anyway). Nice d-pad and ergonomic shape. The START and credit buttons might be placed a tiny bit higher than I would have liked. When I reach for them I almost have to look down, but other than that I really like the feel of it.

Overall I'd say this is a great product. They should bring it to Europe and the US but switch the console and accessories appearance to black plastic (make it look like a genesis that morphed into an arcade machine), add online multiplayer support and the ability to get additional SEGA games but have M2 optimize them with optional 3D modes and other little features.

Question: How do you reset from the game you are playing back to the main menu game select?
    Last edited by Dirt Ball Gamer; 12-21-2020 at 03:44 PM.

Some good intel there. I didn't buy the base for some reason but may add it in the future - seems to be a bit more than just a novelty. Glad I went for the astro control pads based on LordGeo's experience.

When I pre-ordered there were 2 options available on Amazon: the normal version and the Amazon edition. Did anyone ever work out what the difference is? I bought the Amazon one so can happily take some photos to compare if anyone has the non-Amazon version

I will tell you right now that the ONLY mini controllers that work with the Astro City are apparently the 6button ones that shipped with the JPN megadrive mini. The 3 button ones I got with my US Genesis mini do NOT work at all with my Astro City. So far as I know the only three controllers it appears to work with are the separate control pad and arcade stick, and the JPN Megadrive mini 6 button controller. In fact, on the 6button, you can hold down Z (MODE) on it while the Astro City boots up and that will take it into the diagnostics menu.

Isolated Warrior Master of Shinobi Dirt Ball Gamer's Avatar

No idea. Didn't know about an Amazon version. The only real alternative option stuff that I've seen is there's a pricier option on the additional base piece that has like a red and checkered sega arcade mat to place under the unit. It also has like an ash tray and some commemorative coins or something I think. Going off of memory so could be wrong on the specifics.

@CrossBow: good to know about the mode button thing! Yeah I mean SEGA wants people to buy their controllers, which, yeah I don't know enough to speculate on whether that's a good business move for something like this or not. Hacking will likely ultimately fix the problem though won't it(for those that want to do that)? Sucks these things aren't more openly compatible though. Kind of surprised the jap MD mini controller works but the US one doesn't. What would be the reason to do that I wonder?
    Last edited by Dirt Ball Gamer; 12-21-2020 at 04:08 PM.

Attachment 15746
    Attachment 15747

Got my Mini today. I wasn't aware of the mini mat+ astray. But then again it was expensive enough and I happy with it .
    And I confirm that the The 8bitdo m30 2.4g with usb dongle works on the Astro Mini! I've tried different USB controllers, but this was the only one that worked.
    SEEEEEGGGGAAAA!!!

Having done a bit of digging I believe the Amazon.co.jp variant is simply a download code for some virtua fighter PC/smartphone wallpapers - no difference with the mini. When I pre-ordered in July that info wasn't available - I may have thought twice about the 500odd extra it cost me

Quote Originally Posted by Spendle View Post
    Having done a bit of digging I believe the Amazon.co.jp variant is simply a download code for some virtua fighter PC/smartphone wallpapers - no difference with the mini. When I pre-ordered in July that info wasn't available - I may have thought twice about the 500odd extra it cost me
    Same here.....
    SEEEEEGGGGAAAA!!!

Lord of the Obscure Wildside Expert LordGeo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sjorspion View Post
    And I confirm that the The 8bitdo m30 2.4g with usb dongle works on the Astro Mini! I've tried different USB controllers, but this was the only one that worked.
    What did you do to get it working? I've tried numerous times with my M30 2.4G, and nothing works.

I did nothing special. Someone on YT had the same problem so I made this quick video to show it: https://youtu.be/DzZ-yqpLh1w. Maybe it has something to do with the controller has to be on Dinput and not Xinput. Check the manual of the controller how to switch. Hope that helps.
    SEEEEEGGGGAAAA!!!

Old School Sega 4 Ever! Master of Shinobi Lan Di's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LordGeo View Post
    What did you do to get it working? I've tried numerous times with my M30 2.4G, and nothing works.
    8Bitdo released two versions of the M30 2.4G. I'm thinking the non-working issue only exists with the first release. The first edition (non-USB) was made specifically for The Mega-SG/Genesis/MD. It is now discontinued. The second release was made specifically for the Genesis/MD Mini. The two are not compatible between each other. According to the official website, you cannot use the 2.4ghz USB receiver with the first edition. This may explain why people are having issues. I have the first edition. I just ordered the second edition from Amazon. As soon as I get it, I'll post the results.
    Last edited by Lan Di; 12-27-2020 at 12:22 AM.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One Centrale's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LordGeo View Post
    In fact, a friend of mine even tried plugging in the Astro City Mini arcade stick to his PC, only to find out that it isn't even xInput-compatible, but rather uses an old compatibility standard that required him to install Xbox 360 controller emulation software just to get working on a PC.
    That's not my experience. I plugged in the arcade stick to my Windows 10 machine and it worked immediately; it even detects it correctly named as 'Sega Astro City Arcade Stick' or something similar. All buttons detect, although if you use MAME you will have to map the credit and start buttons within MAME.

Old School Sega 4 Ever! Master of Shinobi Lan Di's Avatar

I can personally confirm two things.

1. The Astro City Mini arcade stick does indeed work on PC and Retroarch.

2. The 8bitdo M30 2.4G pad (second edition USB dongle version) works on the Astro City Mini just as sjorspion pointed out.

I watched some reviews about Astro City Mini Arcade on youtube and it seems it's not very good. Like the gamepad can't be played on over 5 minutes because your hands start to hurt, and that Virtua Fighter lags.

Thread Information