Quantcast

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Astro City Mini Arcade

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingMaster of Shinobi Gryson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Jackal View Post
    What's the likelihood of them releasing this as a collection for say, the PS4, Switch, PC, etc?
    Since Sega Toys is releasing this, probably not high. But I guess if there's enough interest in this then that might attract the attention of Sega Corp.

Wildside Expert

So, which 36 games do you expect? Here's the list i ended up with:

After Burner II (1987) X Board
    Alex Kidd: The Lost Stars (1986) System 16
    Alien Storm (1990) System 18
    Alien Syndrome (1987) System 16
    Altered Beast (1988) System 16
    Bonanza Bros (1990) System 24
    Columns II (1990) C Board
    D.D. Crew (1991) System 18
    Dark Edge (1993) System 32
    Dynamite Dux (1988) System 16
    E-Swat (1989) System 16
    Enduro Racer (1986) Space Harrier
    Fantasy Zone (1986) System 16
    Galaxy Force II (1988) Y Board
    Golden Axe (1989) System 16
    Golden Axe: The Revenge of Death Adder
    Hot Rod (1988) System 24
    Laser Ghost (1990) System 18
    Out Run (1986) Out Run
    Out Runners (1992) System 32
    Power Drift (1988) Y Board
    Puyo Puyo (1992) C2 Board
    Quartet (1986) System 16
    Puzzle & Action: Tant-R (1993) C2 Board
    Rad Mobile (1990) System 32
    Rail Chase (1991) Y Board
    Rough Racer (1990) System 24
    Segasonic The Hedgehog (1992) System 32
    Shadow Dancer (1989) System 18
    Shinobi (1987) System 16
    Space Harrier (1985) Space Harrier
    Super Hang-On (1987) Out Run
    Thunder Blade (1987) X Board
    Virtua Fighter (1993) Model 1
    Virtua Racing (1992) Model 1
    Wing War (1994) Model 1

Some games that didn't make the cut:

A.B. Cop (1990) X Board
    Air Rescue (1991) System 32
    Cotton (1989) System 16
    Last Survivor (1989) X Board
    Stadium Cross (1992) System 32
    Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair (1988) System 16

Licensing issues
    Jurassic Park (1994) System 32
    Michael Jackson's Moonwalker (1990) System 18
    Star Wars Arcade (1994) Model 1

Vertical orientation
    Congo Bongo (1983) Zaxxon
    Pengo (1982) Z80 Board
    Zaxxon (1982) Zaxxon

System requirements
    Planet Harriers (2001) Hikaru
    Sonic The Fighters (1996) Model 2

I strongly suspect that Tetris will be on it, especially since they were able to license it for the MD Mini.

Tetris is one of the most successful Sega arcade games of all time in terms of sales. It won best arcade game of 1988 in several publications and preceded Nintendo's releases by a year.

I'm not sure how this mini could do games that require special controls, though, like SegaSonic. Is it playable on a joystick?

http://segabits.com/blog/2020/07/07/...t-36-classics/

That was the article which mentioned 36 total games.
    Last edited by Greg2600; 07-10-2020 at 01:59 AM.

Wildside Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Gryson View Post
    I strongly suspect that Tetris will be on it, especially since they were able to license it for the MD Mini.
    Good point. Hadn't considered Tetris, but would be a nice addition!

I'm not sure how this mini could do games that require special controls, though, like SegaSonic. Is it playable on a joystick?
    If they only pick games that use a regular joystick almost half of my list would have to go:

Flight-stick
    After Burner II (1987) X Board
    Galaxy Force II (1988) Y Board
    Space Harrier (1985) Space Harrier
    Thunder Blade (1987) X Board
    Wing War (1994) Model 1

Handlebars
    Enduro Racer (1986) Space Harrier
    Super Hang-On (1987) Out Run

Light-gun
    Laser Ghost (1990) System 18
    Rail Chase (1991) Y Board

Steering-wheel
    Hot Rod (1988) System 24
    Out Run (1986) Out Run
    Out Runners (1992) System 32
    Power Drift (1988) Y Board
    Rad Mobile (1990) System 32
    Rough Racer (1990) System 24
    Virtua Racing (1992) Model 1

Trackball
    Segasonic The Hedgehog (1992) System 32

I guess it's a possibility though
    Last edited by moon; 07-09-2020 at 07:59 PM.

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

I'm hoping for Fantasy Zone II DX and Clockwork Aquario.

I don't think that including Clockwork Aquario would hurt digital sales of the game, but it would likely be a big boost in sales of the Astro City mini.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Kiiiiinda.

The problem is that the game doesn't really have any proper notion of 3D collision, slopes are just as flat as straight floors and as such they don't affect your momentum. This was probably made to account for people rolling the trackball in the direction they saw on screen, but that's not how you normally do it with a joystick and that throws off everything. You could make it such that Y motion had 0.5x scale and you can get through most of the game that way (though slopes feel awkward), but that makes the last stage unbeatable unless you change the Y scaling on the fly.

The game is not completely impossible to port to use joysticks, but it's definitely going to need more than just emulation, at the very least to add slope data so it knows when to change the Y scaling (maybe it can do away without hacking the game proper, but it'd still need to snoop RAM to know where the players are). Also probably add some acceleration to the trackball input because otherwise it can feel awkward to play.

EDIT: to make it clear, that's on the topic of being playable with a joystick at all, I doubt this Mini will include that. Even doing this you'd still want to play SegaSonic with an analog joystick ideally, and the use of microswitches implies that the joystick is digital. Not to mention, they tried porting SegaSonic before and decided it wasn't worth it because getting the trackball right didn't seem to work (though I think they really should give it another try I bet they never considered the part about adding the missing data to the stages).

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Virtua Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    I'm hoping for Fantasy Zone II DX and Clockwork Aquario.

I don't think that including Clockwork Aquario would hurt digital sales of the game, but it would likely be a big boost in sales of the Astro City mini.
    Clockwork Aquario would be a great bonus, way better than Tetris and Darius in MD Mini.

In any case I'm 120% sure they will include only games that use standard controls, so no racing games, no light gun games etc.

They said they are including games that really appeared on the Astro City cabs, they also said games like Tranquillizer gun are too old, so games like Congo Bongo, Zaxxon etc. would not be included for the same reason, but with a little luck we could see Model 2 games since they also used Astro City cabs.

In any case I wish they will focus more on obscure games that never got a console port, especially on System 32 board etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Virtua Hunter View Post
    They said they are including games that really appeared on the Astro City cabs, they also said games like Tranquillizer gun are too old, so games like Congo Bongo, Zaxxon etc. would not be included for the same reason, but with a little luck we could see Model 2 games since they also used Astro City cabs.
    Astro City cabs didn't come out until 1993, though, right? I think most of these games appeared on Aero City cabs. Astro City cabs are probably more iconic Sega, though, so it's easy to see why they went with that.

I think you're right about racing games - they probably would have included some in the initial lineup if they were going to include any, since their racing games are some of the most recognizable.

Wildside Expert

In any case I'm 120% sure they will include only games that use standard controls, so no racing games, no light gun games etc.
    Alright, that would be a bit of a bummer ( imo ).

They said they are including games that really appeared on the Astro City cabs
    Okay, didn't know that games like Fantasy Zone and Altered Beast also ended up on Aero / Astro City.

In any case I wish they will focus more on obscure games that never got a console port, especially on System 32 board etc.
    Of the 21 System (Multi) 32 games only 10 use regular controls, 4 of those are licensed ( Dragon Ball / J-League / Jurassic Park / Spider-Man ), 2 are already confirmed ( Dark Edge / Death Adder ) and 1 is Holosseum* ... so that leaves:

Arabian Fight (1992)
    Burning Rival (1993)
    Hard Dunk (1994)

*They wouldn't .. right?

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Virtua Hunter's Avatar

Yeah Astro City is the most iconic and probably one of the most widespread in Japan, it became soon a standard for later successful cabs like Taito Egret and others, it was an easy choice.

Basically with time all kinds of games from Sega and other companies appeared on Astro City, Versus City etc., so technically I think Sega Toys is correct with their claim.
    For example I remember a Fantasy Zone running on an Astro City years ago when I was looking into buying a cab.

@moon

I was thinking to Burning Rival and Arabian Fight in particular, those two are some of my most wanted system 32 games together with Golden Axe Revenge and Dark Edge.
    Outrunners would be the other one but I think it's unlikely we will see any racing included, Astro City didn't had a racing wheel version, also it would be unplayable, they need analogue controls, and astro city stick and controller are digital, it would feel just cheap if they include nearly unplayable games.

Maybe in future they will make a mini-cab console focused on racing games?

Master of Shinobi Dirt Ball Gamer's Avatar

The price seems very reasonable. Can't wait to try it out. I hope it will be able to keep high scores saved after powering down/unplugging. The controller, sorry, "Power Control System" certainly looks nice. The shape looks a bit boxy, but it's probably fine. Hopefully it's comfortable to hold, has a long enough cord, and the buttons/d-pad don't suck.
    Last edited by Dirt Ball Gamer; 07-13-2020 at 01:45 AM.

HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG Raging in the Streets Moirai's Avatar

I would love to see Shinobi 1 on this thing. i wonder how the sound emulation accuracy is on these games?

also, i have to wonder what the hardware inside is, consider it can run VIRTUA FIGHTER!? it must be rather powerful. as far as i know, sega model 1 hardware is supposed to be a bitch to emulate.. and if they figured out model 1 emulation, then perhaps Saturn/STV mini isnt so far off!?

Golden Axe:RODA & Virtua fighter made it and instant buy for me . I'm curious which sega games would support all 6 buttons though..
    @moon to add to your list: Gain ground and Crack down? They where sega's property right?
    SEEEEEGGGGAAAA!!!

Wildside Expert

Quote Originally Posted by sjorspion View Post
    @moon to add to your list: Gain ground and Crack down? They where sega's property right?
    Yeah, my reasoning behind not considering / including those is because Gain Ground uses vertical screen orientation and Crack Down always uses split-screen ( even in single-player mode ), which might be a little hard to "read" on the 3 inch display. But .. who knows

Thread Information