Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sega Genesis DS-16 price question

Sports Talker

Default Sega Genesis DS-16 price question

Anyone have any idea what the Sega DS-16 is worth? I just ordered a button for switching games but I know each cart slot works fine. Thanks

Outrunner

Youíve been a member of the board for 13 years, amassed a total of 34 posts, own an interesting piece of hardware, and, rather than bring something interesting to the table such as information about the DS-16, you simply ask what itís worth?

I'm sure it's very rare. I've seen this and the larger unit just a handful of time but I could not guess it's value.
    Sega Dude

Visit my Instagram @RetroMegabit or RetroMegabit.com

https://www.obscuregamers.com/threads/sega-ds-16.1419/

They said $200-$300 a couple years ago.
    On eBay, one ended without selling a month or so ago at $1000, and it was in pretty complete condition http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sega-DS-16-G...-/174302283871

Toejam is a wiener. Master of Shinobi SEGA-Jorge's Avatar

This thing is like, MVS for the Genesis. hahah. I love it.

Working at a Montgomery Wards way back when, they had a Genesis display kiosk buried in the stockroom area - this was when Panzer Dragoon Zwei was out I recall... so the Genesis kiosk was quite out of date and forgotten.
    Someone else pulled the plastic enclosure open and stole; I mean recovered, one of the games (I think it was Moonwalker). I "recovered" the other 5. Greendog is the only one I remember distinctly. ...I think Sonic 2, and Toe Jam & Earl where in the group too...
    Too bad I wasn't bold enough to rip the thing open further and grab the board.

Master of Shinobi Dirt Ball Gamer's Avatar

I bought one of these a few years ago. I don't remember exactly what I paid but I remember it was pretty expensive. If you are planning to sell one I guess it might depend on if you want it to sell right away or if you are willing to wait for the right buyer to come along. I think you could probably sell it for $800 or more but it might take some time. If you are willing to go lower on price I'm sure someone would buy it pretty quick. Probably not telling you anything that you didn't already know I'm sure.
    I had meant to buy another genesis to use with mine but I got distracted by other projects so mine has just been chilling on a shelf (in plastic to keep dust out of it). I really need to get mine hooked up to see if it works.
    I'm curious about the button that you bought for it. If you don't mind my asking where did you find it?
    Last edited by Dirt Ball Gamer; 07-29-2020 at 05:14 PM.

Sports Talker

Thanks for the info.

@crazyteknohed - Yep - It is called I stopped collection Sega stuff years ago for the most part I finished all the home Sega system over a decade ago. A few years ago I started selling off my Sega systems one at a time. Also how was your post interesting? How did you bring anything to the table?

Toejam is a wiener. Master of Shinobi SEGA-Jorge's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tynstar View Post
    Thanks for the info.

@crazyteknohed - Yep - It is called I stopped collection Sega stuff years ago for the most part I finished all the home Sega system over a decade ago. A few years ago I started selling off my Sega systems one at a time. Also how was your post interesting? How did you bring anything to the table?
    I don't think he meant to be harsh. I'm sure this is more of a reaction to the majority of the scene becoming a sort of swapmeet/flee market for new school collectors that are interested in finding rare stuff, rather than playing the games. (Not insinuating you are or are not doing that.)

That being said, I'd probably suggest asking in the sales areas, as you'd most likely get more info there.

Good luck selling it though, I'm sure you'll find someone to grab it, it's quite a rare and desirable find.

Sports Talker

Sadly I don't remember when or where I got it. I don't remember how much I paid for it either. I finished my Genesis so long ago the most expensive game was Pirates Gold and it was between 50-75 dollars. I picked up the DS-16 along the way.

Master of Shinobi

This might be one of those cases where you'll only find out how much it's worth by trying to auction it, or by just putting a price out there and seeing if anyone bites. Rare doesn't necessarily equal valuable, the item is pretty niche, and resellers might not be interested in paying too much without a good history of sale prices to base their offers on, limiting competition for it.

The trouble is that if demand is low the sale price could fluctuate quite wildly depending on who happens to be looking at a particular time. If a few hardcore collectors are looking at the same time you'll make bank, but if not...

Whatever happened to the consumer version of this called the Video Jukebox or something similar? It was by a 3rd party and as I recall, the magazine ad had a bunch or carts plugged into a dude's forehead. Was that ever released?

Attachment 15544

What a bizarre device. They took something that makes sense in one use case ( a demo kiosk ) and put it in a use case that makes no sense ( the living room ).

It solves the "problem" of having to switch out carts? Weird. Who would have ever wanted such a thing

*looks at flashcarts*

Though admittedly the current alternative is a lot superior in terms of usability. The downside is that legality is questionable for commercial games :P (if you want to be decent you'd only load the ROMs of games you already have, and it's not like buying more cartridges will give any money to the studios (many of which are long gone now), butÖ)

I feel flashcarts are really different. They're for ROMs, not carts you own, so they have the advantage of letting you not buy the carts. And they allow you to store a lot more than 36 carts, and they reduce the form factor to a single cartridge.

Maybe you can think of jukebox as an early flashcart but without many of the benefits that make flashcarts worthwhile

Thread Information