Quantcast

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lord Hiryu's Street Fighter II : World Warrior hack

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

Default Lord Hiryu's Street Fighter II : World Warrior hack

Lets talk about Lord Hiryu's Street Fighter II SCE hack that aims to turn the game into more of a classic original Street Fighter II World Warrior experience.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One

I think this is a very unique hack. since it goes in a different direction than the other works.
    While Champion Edition is probably my overall favorite version of SF2
    I spent the most time with World Warrior.. it came out the first.. and I also got it on the SNES. back then every day I wished I could play as the bosses and even bought a game genie. Unfortunately it was really flawed as the moves never worked well and it would glitch out by the second round.

we eventually could play it when Turbo was released at home..but because I spent so much time on World Warrior, the colors used in that game are special to me. like the evening sky on Ryu's stage. Quite honestly I like all the original WW stage colors over CE/Turbo stages in almost every single instance. EXCEPT Guile's stage (the dusk version in CE is nicer).

I know this is just a re-color of SCE to WW and not an actual WW game
    but its probably for the better

some one successfully hacked WW to include bosses. and it seems the bosses are way too over powered and have incomplete movesets

to LH.. some suggestions
    1. the title screen should be black not blue
    2. can you change the character portraits to the WW version?
    3.I think the shaded part of the house in Blanka's stage looks a bit off. its too straight
    4. is it possible to put the tree on Sagat's stage? or the sign on Ryu's stage?

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training Lord Hiryu's Avatar

Thanks NeoVamp for opening the thread.
    For more than 4 years, I have had several hacks in the pipeline.
    Apart from my SF2 Champion edition hack, I have been working on the World Warrior version as well as a full SSF2 hack.

On 12/6/2018 I published a preview for the first time, based on my 2016's project SF2HCE hack. The project that at first may seem easy, is not at all, since you cannot convert the Champion Edition rom directly to the World Warrior, simply by doing a color hack.
    You need to reassign palettes across the stage, and play great with the limited color palette (31 + 1).

The first scenario I modified was Ryu's. In my instagram, since it is the only space where I post my updates, you can see it.

https://www.instagram.com/lordhiryu/

The process I have to work is as follows.

First, I select the colors that will be present in the two color tables, keeping in mind the 9 color bits of the MD, and the HUD color reservation.
    It is a slow process, because of some colors it is impossible to get the same hue, but it is worth investing that time.
    To do this, I work in photoshop and I do the calculations and mockups on the two image planes that I previously captured using the Gens_r57 mod.
    To do this, I use the values ​​of 0-32-76-108-144-180-216-252. (Tilemolester has other values, but for me is Ok)

Once selected, I apply them using the HivePal program to the MD bin file, so that everything is fatal at first.

From there, I work with Photoshop, coloring pixel by pixel and using an 8x8 grid, on the plane, thinking that tiles will have each palette assigned, and keeping in mind the possibility of playing with planes A and B, and especially with the transparent color of the second color table.

As I go through specific areas, I insert them into the Tilemolester Pro. And using Gens_R57, I manually change assignments on the part of the rom in hexadecimal, for this, I use the hex editor HxD. Here's the procces of the Blanka Stage.

So until I have everything almost ready, since in the end, once everything is assembled I am adjusting tones. It is at that point, when you realize the details that can be implemented, and you should see if you have space in the Tileset, and if so, insert it, although it must always be placed by hand in the hexadecimal.

The aim, is make the most arcade perfect than the SNES version.

At the right time, I have to finish the Bison scenario, fix the scoring screen, the barrels bonus phase (since it is more detailed in my version of the Champion edition, adding 4 types of progressive shadow to the barrels in the background ), change the portraits of the players and see if I can get my hands on the animations to put Ryu's victory pose There are still things to polish, but I'm doing it in my spare time, which is not many.
    It is a laborious job, but it is worth seeing the potential that the MD had, and much reviled by the press of the time.

A greeting.

BTW. During these days i will upload all info about the SSF2 project.
    Last edited by Lord Hiryu; 07-27-2020 at 12:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanjo View Post
    I know this is just a re-color of SCE to WW and not an actual WW game
    but its probably for the better
    Seems, but not. You can't make only the color hack, cause there're some pallete assigments wrong. Always the hexadecimal code must be implemented, to reasign tiles, and place new ones. For example, the gradient of Blanka stage, has not the same gradient that the one in SF2HCE. Also guile sky.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanjo View Post
    to LH.. some suggestions
    1. the title screen should be black not blue
    2. can you change the character portraits to the WW version?
    3.I think the shaded part of the house in Blanka's stage looks a bit off. its too straight
    4. is it possible to put the tree on Sagat's stage? or the sign on Ryu's stage?
    1. I will try it. I think there will not be a problem.
    2. Yes. At this time only Ryu portrait is changed.
    3. The tileset is limited, I have to figure how to add 2 or 3 new tiles.
    4. Same answer. Sagat tileset is limited, and the palmtree has a lot of tiles to add (the same apply for ryu's sign)

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner Stifu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Hiryu View Post
    Seems, but not. You can't make only the color hack, cause there're some pallete assigments wrong. Always the hexadecimal code must be implemented, to reasign tiles, and place new ones. For example, the gradient of Blanka stage, has not the same gradient that the one in SF2HCE. Also guile sky.
    I think he meant it's a cosmetic hack. The gameplay is unchanged (bosses are still selectable, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by Stifu View Post
    I think he meant it's a cosmetic hack. The gameplay is unchanged (bosses are still selectable, etc).
    Maybe you're right, but a color hack just imply change the assigned colors. When you add, reassign pallets, and change entire tilesets of the whole background, I understand that is a complete graphical hack.
    Change the gameplay, or erase some data, as the selectable players, for sure is hard code, and I don't know if i got those skills right now.

For example, in 4 years, I didn't know how tho change 3 rows of scroll in de ScrollRam of zangief stage, to make this stage similar as the SSF2. Easy to do in the SSF2 rom, but hard to achieve in the SF2CE.
    Top My hack - Bottom original release.

Do you want me to make a new thread just for your Super SF2 hack? keep this stuff a bit separated.

Raging in the Streets KnightWarrior's Avatar

It's called Street Fighter II Not "2"

Anyhoo, It's not really World Warrior, only the color hack of it

If doesn't have the Move Set of WW

How about calling it "Street Fighter II The World Warriors" as in bosses = more warriors.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker

This is a very interesting thread and I am happy someone is returning the stages to how they were originally envisioned.

Quote Originally Posted by KnightWarrior View Post
    It's called Street Fighter II Not "2"

Anyhoo, It's not really World Warrior, only the color hack of it

If doesn't have the Move Set of WW
    well that is obvious.
    re-adding the actual movesets of WW characters would require a very significant re-hack as well as drawing its animations
    which is probably beyond the skills of many of the improvement hackers here.

secondly, as I mentioned.. going back to WW movesets for the bosses would be really imba.
    while WW did not have playable bosses, the arcade version apparently still had command moves programmed for them
    what hackers discovered was for example
    Balrog (boxer) special punches were not charge moves but used fireball motions
    M.Bison's scissor kick was not a charge move but a regular roundhouse that could be quickly spammable
    almost all four bosses did not have weak/medium/strong attacks programmed into them, so for several of them, all of their attacks register as strong
    and they did way too much damage

this only applies to the arcade version of WW. the home port on the SNES doesn't have this either. which is why boss hacks for it are flawed.

I'd just be happy if the hack featured the original colors for stages and fighters and with the original portraits.
    gameplay wise the game is solid anyway, no need to change that.

Dear Hiryu

i hope you don't mind some constructive comments, but here are some ideas which I think could improve your color hack

I think the shaded part on the house is too straight and looks unnatural

I think its good you added a sky gradation (it was not there on the SNES)
    but the colors are too distinct. is it possible to choose colors that are more closer related?
    second on the ground background, there are too many repeating elements. it makes it look too messy (I noticed this on your other hack too)

I think leaving this a blank light color looks off
    maybe its better to make it dark

i love this hack. the WW colors always appealed to me a little more than CE, and keeping the CE moveset is awesome because i wanted WW just with bosses available.

Some updates. Intro fixed with t-shirt, blood in the black guy and colors of the crowd more faithful to arcade, and also, fixed the tiles of the Blanka's roof.

Thread Information