Quantcast

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lord Hiryu's Street Fighter II : World Warrior hack

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Hiryu View Post
    Happy holidays to everyone.
    After the wonderful news of Paprium's launch, here is another gift to spend time during Christmas holidays. I hope you like it.

Merry Christmas to everyone.

Wow! You've put some serious work into this, well done!

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

I had it running on the side for a while, reaaaally good use of colors in your hack. feels like the game we should have gotten.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training Lord Hiryu's Avatar

And the last gift for xmas.....Hyper Champion Edition.

Enjoy it, and happy holidays!!!!

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One

That looks really nice. Looking forward to trying that. Thank you for sharing.

That's awesome, Great job!
    SEEEEEGGGGAAAA!!!

Good job.

So far, this type of hacks have been always a compendium of tradeoffs.

You get something here to lose something there.

Your work is a genuine improvement over the original, and there are plenty of things that you have done as I would myself.

Not like I don't have different opinions here and there, but this is the best hack of SSFII I have seen, that for sure.

Thanks for sharing!

After having tried these (go to Lord Hiryu's YouTube to download), I am truly impressed especially with the Super Street Fighter II. That's a BIG wow and in my opinion the best SSFII hack. The graphics in this one would have destroyed the SNES version back in the day. Nothing to do with this awesome back, but if only a super talented individual knew how to do some edits on the audio tracks to give them a little more character. Thanks again so much for sharing this with us.

SS2. Blanka, T-hawk and Sagat stage are great improvements. especially Blanka

awesome color changes!
    what I love about the Genesis/MD community's hacks and original games is that we all know the Sega Genesis had some hardware limitations compared to say, the SNES
    but that people find ways to overcome that with clever use of effects, color combinations, etc that make it just as good or even better than its rival

Graphically impressive improvements. Congratulations lordhiryu!
    VISUAL SHOCK!
    SPEED SHOCK!
    SOUND SHOCK!
    NOW IS TIME TO THE 68000 HEART ON FIRE!

Prince of Persia 2 - The Shadow and the Flame Remastered Edition v1.5

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

Quote Originally Posted by Vorenge View Post
    After having tried these (go to Lord Hiryu's YouTube to download), I am truly impressed especially with the Super Street Fighter II. That's a BIG wow and in my opinion the best SSFII hack. The graphics in this one would have destroyed the SNES version back in the day.
    While i find these color hacks awesome to receive the much needed improved versions of the multiplatform fighter, they can't beat the color fidelity of the snes. That makes no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanjo View Post
    awesome color changes!
    what I love about the Genesis/MD community's hacks and original games is that we all know the Sega Genesis had some hardware limitations compared to say, the SNES
    but that people find ways to overcome that with clever use of effects, color combinations, etc that make it just as good or even better than its rival
    Never better, but almost as good, yes.

That said, congrats to Lord Hiryu for this take on the classic. His and Pyron's work are great quality standards for SF II Genesis ports, i don't think at this point there's anything else to improve color wise.

Merry christmas to y'all.

*DUPLICATED POST*
    Last edited by Lord Hiryu; 01-05-2021 at 06:45 AM.

Since I do not have permissions to create new themes, I am going to put in this thread a mini-tutorial on the way I work, to do the graphic and color hacks.

First, I look at whether the graphics are compressed or not. In the case of SF2 and SSF2, the graphics have no compression, so with the Tilemolester 0.16 program, I open the bin.

We select to show all files, since by default, Bin files are not showned.

And we select the bin file that we want to see and modify.

Once opened, we select from the menu the type of Codec for megadrive games, which in that case is linear 4bpp.

Next, from the menu, we are going to indicate the offset of the color palette to be used, so that the colors are displayed correctly in the tileset.

In the menu that appears, we must place the decimal value (Offset), the size (I always put 9999), the color bit format (9 Bits Megadrive), and the bit order, which will be Motorola.

To know the decimal value of the color palette, we will use the HivePal program.
    We open the bin file, in this case the SF2 rom, with the HivePal program.

And once the bin file is loaded, we click on the button "browse for Pallets"

And a mini-window will appear, where we can scroll from top to bottom to find the desired palette and the Hexadecimal value.

Once the palette and its value have been located, we insert it in the main menu of Hivepal. In this case, I give it a length value of 20, since it is two palettes per stage.

To find the correct palette, while we are in the game using the GensR57shellMod emulator, being in the scenario we want, if we click the Tools / VDPRam menu, a window will appear showing us the 4 color palettes that are being used in that precise moment.

Okay. Let's go back to the hivepal, and let's see how to convert the hexadecimal value of the palette and be able to use it in Tilemolester.
    Once we know that the value of the color palette is 05c240, if we use the google browser, it will get the value in decimal.

And now, knowing the value in decimal, we go back to the Tilemolester and fill in the Offset field with that value.

The tileset will appear with the correct colors, so you can work with it. Although it is true that Tilemolester has editing tools, I find them not very precise, so we can choose to work the tilesets from an external graphics editor.

Thus, once we have the correct colors in the tileset, we select everything.

And we copy the tileset as a PNG file

Once in PNG, we open it with photoshop, gimp, or the editor that we like the most, and we modify, change, redraw, erase, etc ... whatever we want in that file.

Once the png has been modified and saved, we insert it again in the same place in the rom with the Tilemolester with the option "Paste from"

We select the modified PNG file

And we save the changes in the Bin file, with the option Save or Save as ... (depending on whether you don't mind overwriting the file or not)

The part of inserting graphics in the Tileset, we have it solved ... now we have to know if we should add new tiles to the stage, modify some, change the palette assignment ... etc ...
    So we go to the GensR57ShellMod emulator and open the rom.

And we go to the stage where we have modified the tileset, in this case, it is Chunli's stage.

We open the menu, Tools / Plane Explorer, where we will see valuable information to make changes.

And once this is done, we do a state save of the rom, menu File / Savestate / Savestate as

And we save the GSX file.

Now we open the GensSavestate promogram, and we open the GSX file that we have created.

And we select the VDP tab

And within that tab, the VideoRam option

Now, while we have the two programs open, Gensavestate and Gensr57, we also open the Hexadecimal HxD editor

And we open the Rom of the game from the Hexadecimal. Say that for any change to be made, the HivePal must be closed.

Once all are open, we go to the GensR57 PlaneExplorer window, where it will indicate the offset where the tile to be modified is located, or if we want to place a specific tile at a certain point on the screen.

Now we look for the offset in the Savestate, offset F648 (although E648 appears on the screen, the tiles that I want to modify belong to the background, which is F, so just the tile that will be below the E648 position, will be in the position F648

We already have the line located in the Savestate, so now what we are going to look for is the same line in ALL the rom, and later, make the same changes in the rom and save it with the modifications.

To know the number of tiles that we must change, it is as simple as looking at it in the plane explorer, where, in addition to the position, it tells us what tile it is.

And as simple as changing values ​​in that position, and making the same changes in the HxD with the rom.

I hope this mini tutorial will help more people to be encouraged to do their own hacks, since when I started there was not much information, more than a thread from Maxfarras and a tutorial from LinkeuiBR on how to use HivePal. The more people cheer on, the better for the whole community.
    Sorry if the translation is bad, I have used google translate.

Happy Holidays to all.

Good Stuff!
    VISUAL SHOCK!
    SPEED SHOCK!
    SOUND SHOCK!
    NOW IS TIME TO THE 68000 HEART ON FIRE!

Prince of Persia 2 - The Shadow and the Flame Remastered Edition v1.5

Thread Information