Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sonic the Hedgehog on SNES

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

Default Sonic the Hedgehog on SNES

I'm surprised no one posted this yet:

It's by the guy that did Megaman X on the Genesis.

Nameless One

Fantastic!

SNES does!

Is it much trouble to convert the aspect to the SNES resolution?

Thanks for sharing. Congrats to TiagoSC, very nice job!

Made by TiagoSC, the same genius behind the Mega Man X port for the Mega Drive
    VISUAL SHOCK!
    SPEED SHOCK!
    SOUND SHOCK!
    NOW IS TIME TO THE 68000 HEART ON FIRE!

Prince of Persia 2 - The Shadow and the Flame Remastered Edition v1.5

Hero of Algol

Gotta love the colors.

The reduced view area isn't as good but, to be honest, I know pretty much all stages by heart and would love to play it on my Super Famicom.

Master of Shinobi

I'm most impressed with the music, it sounds really good. The reduced view is not necessarily problematic if you move a few things around, the GBA version was only 240 px across (but that was the least of its issues).

Hero of Algol

Well, I read the thread and he doesn't intend to finish the port.
    Very interesting, though.

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

I was waiting for someone to upload a clip in better than 240p.

I like how the colors are adjusted. The different temperatures really suit the original Sonic/CD style.

I wasn't able to match some of the funky colors of the original game using the even RGB values of the PC Engine palette when making a parody stage for FX Unit Yuki.

Quote Originally Posted by joyeux View Post
    Fantastic!

SNES does!

Is it much trouble to convert the aspect to the SNES resolution?

Thanks for sharing. Congrats to TiagoSC, very nice job!
    It's literally impossible to keep the same aspect ratio for everything, but most assets could be reworked in different ways. It would be a lot of work and the end result would be inconsistent and look less accurate, so I doubt that it will happen.

If you were going to go to that much trouble, it would be better to make original assets in the same style instead.

I made my assets with about half/most designed with aspect ratio in mind. I was working with 16 x 16 pixel tiles, so I had even less flexibility to maintain aspect ratio.

Last edited by Black_Tiger; 08-09-2020 at 12:22 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    I like how the colors are adjusted. The different temperatures really suit the original Sonic/CD style.
    I wasn't able to match some of the funky colors of the original game using the even RGB values of the PC Engine palette when making a parody stage for FX Unit Yuki.
    The original Sonic's Green Hill Zone is possibly the game stage that mostly clearly tells me when the color calibration of a CRT TV is off and it quickly exposes image issues depending on the equipment.
    Sonic's shoes will look overly red if the TV is using red-push, the blue tone they used in the sky oversaturates in certain types of tubes, the green grass tones look off in sets with green stretch, the very high contrast of the top of the palm trees causes some columns of different contrasts in some tubes, the waterfalls look kind crap with too much sharpness, the brown tones they used are on the edge of becoming red so warmer setting will look off, the invincibility trail of stars is very high contrast and causes issues with dynamic contrast in some TVs (darkening the overall image), the text presentation of zones is like full white and exaggerates the blooming on the text in most TVs, the trees expose S distortion if the voltage regulation of the set is not that good, etc.

I'm not a big fan of what they did with it for Sonic Mania because they toned down the contrast of the environment a whole lot (the top of the palm trees are clearly less noticeable). Despite using more colors, it's not as vivid; they tamed the beast.

Regarding Sonic CD, I think they stretched the MD palette way too thin and the art they used didn't make the most of it. Especially the alter versions of each stage look a bit wonky IMO. Would love to see some of those stages converted to the SNES.

Nameless One

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    It's literally impossible to keep the same aspect ratio for everything, but most assets could be reworked in different ways. It would be a lot of work and the end result would be inconsistent and look less accurate, so I doubt that it will happen.

If you were going to go to that much trouble, it would be better to make original assets in the same style instead.

I made my assets with about half/most designed with aspect ratio in mind. I was working with 16 x 16 pixel tiles, so I had even less flexibility to maintain aspect ratio.

The assets you've created are very good, but these indeed requires a lot of work.

Using the original assets in the SNES is great in emulators, but playing on a real SNES in a CRT they would look a little chubby, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    The original Sonic's Green Hill Zone is possibly the game stage that mostly clearly tells me when the color calibration of a CRT TV is off and it quickly exposes image issues depending on the equipment.
    I have the same impression, this is the first game to try (along with Sonic 1 SMS) when I have a new CRT setup to test.

I would love to play it in my SNES.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training cloudstrifer's Avatar

Very nice!

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Sonic's shoes will look overly red if the TV is using red-push, the blue tone they used in the sky oversaturates in certain types of tubes, the green grass tones look off in sets with green stretch, the very high contrast of the top of the palm trees causes some columns of different contrasts in some tubes, the waterfalls look kind crap with too much sharpness, the brown tones they used are on the edge of becoming red so warmer setting will look off, the invincibility trail of stars is very high contrast and causes issues with dynamic contrast in some TVs (darkening the overall image), the text presentation of zones is like full white and exaggerates the blooming on the text in most TVs, the trees expose S distortion if the voltage regulation of the set is not that good, etc.

I'm not a big fan of what they did with it for Sonic Mania because they toned down the contrast of the environment a whole lot (the top of the palm trees are clearly less noticeable). Despite using more colors, it's not as vivid; they tamed the beast.

Regarding Sonic CD, I think they stretched the MD palette way too thin and the art they used didn't make the most of it. Especially the alter versions of each stage look a bit wonky IMO. Would love to see some of those stages converted to the SNES.
    I love the style of the original Sonic and CD and it should have remained the signature of the series. Both could have had better color, shading, detail on Mega Drive, same as most games in general could be improved. I particularly don't like the style of Sonic 3 for a Sonic game. At least Knuckles Chaotix's backgrounds look original and have a feeling to them.

Here's how a version of Mega Drive Sonic 1 could be done like the SNES port. I adjusted a screenshot of Sonic for Mega Drive that had very inaccurate colors, but I'm showing it anyway since most people are used to emulator depictions by now.

While sampling colors from the SNES version, I noticed that it is missing a shade in the clouds.

I don't have a breakdown of palette use or the individual palettes so for elements like Sonic, the sky and water, I'm showing what is possible using the Mega Drive palette. Everything is in authentic MD RGB values.

I changed the mid red tone on Sonic's skin to a color similar to that of the SNES version. In the actual Sonic game that detail is a color of red shared with his shoes. I know that this could be implemented in the actual game, but can't go guessing how it manifests in some enemies, so it's here to show that the SNES coloring can be done.

The water still shares a color with the clouds. If I knew how the palettes are used throughout the stage, a gradient could likely be implemented. It might mean different colors for it and shared with the clouds or Sonic sprite or something, but again it's here to show one of the many ways that the Mega Drive master palette can be used.

I could only find three screenshots of the SNES version and they all have the same Sonic pose. It looks more different from my mockup than it should, because that pose doesn't have the white highlight across his face. If I were to recolor that SNES screenshot with the same coloring breakdown as my mockup, Sonic would look pretty much the same in both.

A lot of improvements and similarities to the SNES version are hard to spot in normal sized screenshots. I forgot to adjust the purple in flowers, but they wouldn't look much different.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker Cristiano Sword's Avatar

Top!!

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training Cyberdrive's Avatar

It's a quite beautifull images!
    genesis & mega drive assemble!!!

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker Metal64's Avatar

Well, I read the thread and he doesn't intend to finish the port.
    Really? What a shame!

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

Hopefully he'll release the code if he doesn't plan on finishing it; there are more capable SNES devs out there that could tune it up.

Thread Information