Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Purpose of PlayStation Multi-AV Port

Count me in with the group who thinks that it was probably to help with setups where audio was separate from the screen (though that doesn't explain the video jack). Either that or somebody at Sony really wanted to support existing generic cables.

Also worth noting that this was peak "console as karaoke machine" phase. I know pretty much all of the disc-based SEGA consoles either had karaoke add-ons and/or karaoke-oriented variants (heck, this is the whole reason why Mega CD has the audio jacks on the back), wouldn't be surprised if Playstation was the same.

Why does karaoke need separate outputs?

Because the mixer is separate from the screen so you pretty much need the audio lines to be on a different cable (to make it clear to those not in the known: yes karaoke still uses video, both to show the lyrics and to help pick songs).

Though I looked up and couldn't find any karaoke stuff for PS1… not sure if Sony was still planning to aim that market or not. Honestly it also could just be that they didn't think it throughoutly when they added those jacks (or that the AV port originally was not going to include composite and was a last minute change).

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    Count me in with the group who thinks that it was probably to help with setups where audio was separate from the screen (though that doesn't explain the video jack). Either that or somebody at Sony really wanted to support existing generic cables.

Also worth noting that this was peak "console as karaoke machine" phase. I know pretty much all of the disc-based SEGA consoles either had karaoke add-ons and/or karaoke-oriented variants (heck, this is the whole reason why Mega CD has the audio jacks on the back), wouldn't be surprised if Playstation was the same.
    You could just use the Multi-AV still if you wanted separate audio, it could just as easily be hooked up to an amplifier as your TV.
    The RCA ports where there simply to make it more high quality, since Sony at the time was the most prestigious manufacturer of A/V goods. Then whoever was heading Sony and the Playstation section (or Ken Kutaragi) butted heads with each other over the cost and futility of entering a saturated videogame market, and they removed the ports to lower the cost of production and appease the Sony CEO - especially since they started showing good numbers. There was an interview I don't remember that says this out explicitly.

And iirc the Sega CD had those RCA outs simply because the model 1 Megadrive couldn't do stereo, only through the headphone jack, so making a mixing input and RCA outs was the only way to connect it to your A/V setup. Which is where CD players all belonged to, at the time. Multimedia did not exist yet other than a few poor attempts (Commodore CDTV, a handful of PC FMV games), and CDs were primarily a hi-fi audio format.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Philips CDi?
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

SONY and Philips with their audio backgrounds would no doubt have understood the importance of having a game system able to be hooked up to a sperate Hi-Fi or Amp. In fact the CD-DA output of the CDi is quite mighty . The Mega CD has audio jacks simply because of the way the Model 1 Mega Drive outputted stero sound, I would say . I have the karaoke add-on for the Mega CD and that features audio outputs built in to the actual add-on itself

I also liked it on my Neo Geo CD and like I said the Mega-CD combo and 3DO (though that was limited to S-Video display). Wasn't happy at the time SEGA didn't look to offer the same approach with the Saturn or to a point, the DC.
    Ok, not many Saturn games used Dolby, but I did like to play the likes of Fifa 96 and Road Rash via Dobly and on the Saturn had to use S-Video leads in order to hook it up to my surround HI/FI at the time, which was a pain and a comedown from the Saturn's awesome RGB output.

Thanks fully that fixed when Argos brought out their Scart switching box with separate audio outputs and it was only £10
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Quote Originally Posted by zyrobs View Post
    And iirc the Sega CD had those RCA outs simply because the model 1 Megadrive couldn't do stereo, only through the headphone jack, so making a mixing input and RCA outs was the only way to connect it to your A/V setup. Which is where CD players all belonged to, at the time.
    You could connect the MD1’s headphone output to your stereo directly. The “mixing” jacks were a misnomer. If the Sega CD sensed the jack was used, it would supply CD audio from the mainboard instead of through the Genesis so there might have been a slight quality increase.
    Last edited by Blades; 08-13-2020 at 07:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    The Mega CD has audio jacks simply because of the way the Model 1 Mega Drive outputted stero sound, I would say . I have the karaoke add-on for the Mega CD and that features audio outputs built in to the actual add-on itself
    No, I meant that the audio jacks are the back of the Mega CD are intended to be used as the input for the karaoke add-on (which acts as a mixer between the CD audio and the mics). Though yeah, forgot about the part where stereo doesn't come from the AV jack either, wouldn't be surprised if they had accounted for both cases.

No, I meant that the audio jacks are the back of the Mega CD are intended to be used as the input for the karaoke add-on (which acts as a mixer between the CD audio and the mics). Though yeah, forgot about the part where stereo doesn't come from the AV jack either, wouldn't be surprised if they had accounted for both cases.
    I see You can also use the Mega CD karaoke with any CD system that features left and right audio out's and it works really well. Quite a nice little device. I've never used the Saturn or DC ones and DC one is said to be brilliant
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Thread Information