Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Purpose of PlayStation Multi-AV Port

Default Purpose of PlayStation Multi-AV Port

Does anyone know why the early revisions of the PlayStation had discrete composite jacks and the multi-AV port? Of course the discrete jacks were eventually dropped and never returned, but they make no sense existing in the first place.

The Sega Saturn had one multi port, and the 3DO had discrete outputs. I've never seen another system, or home video unit at all, with two sets of outputs in different forms for the same thing. The even earlier Japanese SCPH-1000 PlayStation had discrete s-video in addition to the multi-AV port. What was the possible purpose for this? Some kind of Japanese preference?

The only purpose I can imagine is to make it easier to connect older home audio setups of the day that were isolated from the video section. You could have the PlayStation connected to your amplifier and the TV at the same time and use either the TV's speakers or your amplifier.

The original SCPH-1000 in Japan even had discrete S-video in addition to the composite ports. Why?

From what I understand the multi-AV port also has a slightly different signal path than the discrete outputs for the audio.

Here's a photo of what I mean (bottom one). The early revision English instruction manuals of the era just ignore the issue completely by saying to use the included AV cables and ignore the multi-AV port completely.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Itís sort of like the GameCube. It had a digital and analog port. I had to use both ports for Component video, with the analog port providing audio.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Master of Shinobi

It was a cost cutting measure. There was an interview with either Kutaragi or the Sony CEO where it was specifically brought up.

Yeah, those $99 GameCubes had the digital port my missing to reduce costs.

My fat and slim PS3 both had the multi AV, along with HDMI. Did they cut out the multi AV from the PS3 super slim?
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    Itís sort of like the GameCube. It had a digital and analog port. I had to use both ports for Component video, with the analog port providing audio.
    But those were different signals. 480p from the digital port, and analog audio/video from the analog port. On the first PlayStation, the multi-AV port output composite/s-video/RF, and the jacks output the same.

The Future is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingESWAT Veteran Leynos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    Yeah, those $99 GameCubes had the digital port my missing to reduce costs.

My fat and slim PS3 both had the multi AV, along with HDMI. Did they cut out the multi AV from the PS3 super slim?
    Not just Gamecube. Every Nintendo home console that got a revised version. NES top loader. SNES Jr. Gamecube and Wii. Revised versions removed ports on the back.

AV out is on the PS3 Super Slim. Like every console that gen it shipped with composite cables. Wii U was the first system to ship with HDMI in the box.
    Last edited by Leynos; 08-12-2020 at 01:23 PM.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    Does anyone know why the early revisions of the PlayStation had discrete composite jacks and the multi-AV port? Of course the discrete jacks were eventually dropped and never returned, but they make no sense existing in the first place.
    For no other reason that being able to have the best picture out and able to hook sound output to their Amp/sound system. Systems like CD-i, CD32 did this too .
    I actually think it was a nice feature and wished the Saturn and the DC had such arrangements back in the day. Since I loved how I was able to use the RGB output of my MegaDribe to the TV and the audio jacks of my Mega CD hooked up to my old Amp
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Audio purposes? More games started to include stereo sound in the 90s.
    Some people like companies losing jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by sull56ivan2010 View Post
    Both the port and jacks had stereo output.

For no other reason that being able to have the best picture out and able to hook sound output to their Amp/sound system. Systems like CD-i, CD32 did this too .
    I actually think it was a nice feature and wished the Saturn and the DC had such arrangements back in the day. Since I loved how I was able to use the RGB output of my MegaDribe to the TV and the audio jacks of my Mega CD hooked up to my old Amp
    Yeah, I think this is it.

Quote Originally Posted by sull56ivan2010 View Post
    Yes and if you wanted to get that better quality sound hooked up to your Amp meant it was rather nice to have the option of using the Left and right audio outputs, whilst also being able to use RGB Scart for the best quality picture. Very handy for the few games that supported Dolby too (since my TV at the time didn't support Dolby)
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

There's a reason why so many people want that 1st revision of the PS1. A lot of Audiophiles claim that the system puts out a very high quality level of Audio for at the time when it was new.
    05/05/15

It might have. I had my PlayStation hooked up to a Pro-Logic receiver using those RCA connections. DOOM was ultra creepy on that setup. I about jumped out of my seat when Iíd heard a grunt behind my left shoulder.

Thatís the one thing that pisses me off, when our apartment got robbed back @2000. I never replaced the PlayStation and got a PS2 instead. Iíd really like to still have it.

But those were different signals. 480p from the digital port, and analog audio/video from the analog port. On the first PlayStation, the multi-AV port output composite/s-video/RF, and the jacks output the same.
    Iím just saying that the extra port was removed to reduce costs, and most owners never used it. In the case of the PlayStation, the direct composite input wasnít necessary, since the multi-AV port had that covered with the pack in AV cable. I think that the only reason those RCA ports were there, was to make it feel like a part of a home AV setup, or as Bonus said, for the needs of the enthusiast AV guys.
    Last edited by gamevet; 08-12-2020 at 02:06 PM.

Ah, yes I agree.

There's a reason why so many people want that 1st revision of the PS1. A lot of Audiophiles claim that the system puts out a very high quality level of Audio for at the time when it was new.
    This was a common myth, but was actually proven wrong some years ago with objective analysis. It's acceptable for the time but nothing out of the ordinary, even then. The DAC was an early 1-bit design from AKM that just hadn't had time to mature yet.

Overall, this is a pretty poor set of measurements. I wonder, therefore, if the "magic" of the PlayStation 1's sound lies not in its technical excellence but in the fact that it smears over and disguises much of what is wrong with typical CD sound quality, to which it adds a touch of low-level compression from the linearity error. Certainly, when I recently listened to a PS1 as the source in a system comprising an inexpensive Cayin tube integrated amplifier driving Definitive Technology Mythos ST speakers, it sounded relaxed and informative in a manner I would not have expected from this measured performance.óJohn Atkinson
    That ever-dangerous "warm" sound.

Ah, tubes! It was all the craze in the 90ís.

I bet that thing kept his room nice and toasty in the winter.

There is digital audio available at the digital port on the Gamecube that could have easily been converted to normal ANALog audio. There's no reason a single cable couldn't have been used.

Thread Information