Quantcast

Thread: Moham Attempts Pixel Art

Default Moham Attempts Pixel Art

After playing through Power Drive I got hooked on the game for a few months and then decided to attempt making my own vehicles in a similar style. The first two cars from the game have been ripped and are available on Spriters-Resource, so based on the colors from those rips I've made a some cars with fewer animation frames and no animation of the wheels turning. I've never attempted anything like this before, but I'm quite happy with the results. The first car I made was the Lamborghini because I always had the poster on my bedroom wall when I was young (didn't everyone), and then I made the VW and the Land Rover because I have memories of riding in those vehicles when I was very young.

I don't have any plans for these, I just wanted to try making my own pixel art animations to see what its like. There were initially plans to hack the Countach into Power Drive, but I'm not skilled enough to make the necessary number of frames (I think Power Drive uses 17 frames per car, whereas I only made 9).

Hopefully someone likes them, if so I might post a few others that are currently in progress as I've been enjoying the process of creating car animations much more than I thought I would.

Lamborghini:

VW:

Land Rover (a vehicle that present day gangster rappers have taken to calling a "Rover", even though a Rover is a very different vehicle):

Last edited by Mad Moham; 08-24-2020 at 09:18 PM.

I guess people aren't into it, understandable as this isn't really the place to post this sort of thing but was hoping for some feedback from someone with more experience than me. There's been about 20 cars made so far (including a Ferrari Testarossa & a Porsche 911) and I'll post the rest of them on DeviantArt or at least on some place more appropriate than Sega-16.

theyre pretty cool, i like it. it would be neat to see them in a sega game ha

Comrade as in friend. Master of Shinobi ComradeOj's Avatar

I love that Volkswagen Golf one. I think I remember you sharing these with me a while back. I think it would be cool to some day have a top-down crazy taxi or GTA homebrew for the Genesis using car sprites like these.

I'm not an artist by any means, but just for fun here's a screenshot of a Genesis test program I made during quarantine, featuring my VW MK1 convertible.

Modded consoles:
    Master System (v7040) with s-video & direct AV out
    Model 1 with 10mhz overclock & halt switches
    Model 1 with 10mhz 68010
    Model 2 VA2.3 with unfiltered Mega Amp, & s-video
    Model 3 VA1 with compatibility fixes & s-video
    32X with s-video
    Visit my web site at www.mode5.net
    Or my collection of homebrew Genesis games, programs, and music on SEGA-16!

Hero of Algol

@Mad Moham
    Those cars look good, I'm partial to the Lamborghini.

The MD library lacks a game like the Mille Miglia arcade ones.
    The game engine for some like that shouldn't be too complex; when the MD homebrew scene started to grow I though we would seem something like that; but I guess we're a dying breed (for liking this kind of game and view perspective).

Thanks for the comments guys, its cool that someone likes them. Here's a few more:

A civilian Rover and Police Rover (actual Rovers, despite what modern gangsta rappers may think):

Has flashing lights too. The animations of these cars turning around are almost complete, I'm not posting incomplete versions though so this is it for now:

And everyone's favourite car to make fun of, the Robin:

Quote Originally Posted by ComradeOj View Post
    I love that Volkswagen Golf one. I think I remember you sharing these with me a while back. I think it would be cool to some day have a top-down crazy taxi or GTA homebrew for the Genesis using car sprites like these.

I'm not an artist by any means, but just for fun here's a screenshot of a Genesis test program I made during quarantine, featuring my VW MK1 convertible.
    Looking good dude, you say you're not an artist but I bet you could turn that into a cool loading screen or demo effect if you really wanted to. Are you going to post the program on here some day is it just a personal project?

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    The MD library lacks a game like the Mille Miglia arcade ones.
    The game engine for some like that shouldn't be too complex; when the MD homebrew scene started to grow I thought we would seem something like that; but I guess we're a dying breed (for liking this kind of game and view perspective).
    It had crossed my mind that the animations would be good for something similar to Shakedown Hawaii or GTA and in some ways the MD hardware does lend itself to that style of game. Could the console display enough cars/pedestrians to make the game feel immersive though?
    The reason I ask is because the Gameboy version of GTA and the NES version of RCR suffered from feeling empty as there simply isn't enough cars/pedestrians on screen at any one time and its like driving through a ghost town when compared to PS1 GTA or Chinatown Wars.

To be honest I'm surprised nobody has attempted something like a "Grand Theft MegaDrive" homebrew yet.

Comrade as in friend. Master of Shinobi ComradeOj's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Moham View Post
    Thanks for the comments guys, its cool that someone likes them. Here's a few more:

And everyone's favourite car to make fun of, the Robin:
    Gotta love the robin. I wonder how much it would cost to import one to the states...

Looking good dude, you say you're not an artist but I bet you could turn that into a cool loading screen or demo effect if you really wanted to. Are you going to post the program on here some day is it just a personal project?
    Thanks. It was a simple demo. I like the loading screen idea though. I was going to post it, but I never really finished the project. It's animated, and has music. I just needed to add a fake dashboard hud, some scenery, and do a day/night cycle. Maybe I'll finish it off some day.

It had crossed my mind that the animations would be good for something similar to Shakedown Hawaii or GTA and in some ways the MD hardware does lend itself to that style of game. Could the console display enough cars/pedestrians to make the game feel immersive though?
    I think the system could pull it off. Probably not with super dense crowds, but I think you could get a good amount of people and cars. The system can put out 80 sprites at once, and I believe 20 of those sprites can be drawn on the same line, to give you an idea of density.
    Modded consoles:
    Master System (v7040) with s-video & direct AV out
    Model 1 with 10mhz overclock & halt switches
    Model 1 with 10mhz 68010
    Model 2 VA2.3 with unfiltered Mega Amp, & s-video
    Model 3 VA1 with compatibility fixes & s-video
    32X with s-video
    Visit my web site at www.mode5.net
    Or my collection of homebrew Genesis games, programs, and music on SEGA-16!

Gotta love the robin. I wonder how much it would cost to import one to the states...
    Ask Luke Skywalker, apparently the X-34 Speeder from the original Star Wars was built on a Robin chassis. http://www.reliant.website/relmovies.shtml

TBH I'm not sure why you would want one in the US. The reason for the car's appeal in the UK was that because it had three wheels it allowed people to drive a car with a motorbike license as it could be legally classed as a tricycle (there was a time when a lot of people had a motorbike license but no car license). The law has changed now so there isn't much of a market for new Robins even in the UK. And before someone comes at me with: "You need to disable reverse gear to drive a Robin on a bike license", no you don't. The reverse blockout law lasted about six months before being scrapped due to it being dangerous to drive a car with no reverse. One of my relatives had one (because he only had a bike license) and he never had to lock reverse gear.

I think the system could pull it off. Probably not with super dense crowds, but I think you could get a good amount of people and cars. The system can put out 80 sprites at once, and I believe 20 of those sprites can be drawn on the same line, to give you an idea of density.
    Well, I did some research earlier in the year and found that GTA Chinatown Wars looks like a densely packed city but in fact rarely has more than three cars on screen at any one time. I think if an engine can be built that allows the MD/Gen to display three cars (including the player's) and three pedestrians simultaneously then I think that a very decent GTA clone is possible.

One cool thing is that there's no need for parallax scrolling if the game is made in the same style as Retro City Rampage, which opens up a few possibilities.

I think this proves that something at least fairly decent is possible on MD/Gen:

Last edited by Mad Moham; 08-25-2020 at 05:57 PM.

AKA Mister Xiado Master of Shinobi Raijin Z's Avatar

Impressive. Especially love the Countach, having been a diehard Lamborghini fan in the eighties, thanks to having a Motor Trend subscription. I don't have the patience to do animation anymore, so all my stuff is static. It's on my site, mostly as navigation icons, and a little for the "device type" icons on the accessories pages for the game systems.
    - Where it's always 1995 (or so).
    Youtube - Terminated
    BitChute - Fragmented, but functional

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert OmegaMax's Avatar

They look quite good,thanks for sharing.

Thread Information