Quantcast

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
Results 136 to 148 of 148

Thread: New Wonderboy Title announced! PS4/Switch

  1. #136
    Raging in the Streets Sik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    4,166
    Rep Power
    77

    Default

    Streets of Rage 4 is on Game Pass which is a serious number inflator, so be careful how you read those 1.5 million downloads (I have no idea how much publishers actually get from subscription services but Game Pass is cheap…). Also I would be surprised if Sega is only taking a small fraction of the revenue, normally it's the other way and the IP holder gets to keep most of it.

  2. #137
    Underground Sega Nut BonusKun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Age
    49
    Posts
    1,881
    Rep Power
    70

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    Streets of Rage 4 is on Game Pass which is a serious number inflator, so be careful how you read those 1.5 million downloads (I have no idea how much publishers actually get from subscription services but Game Pass is cheap…). Also I would be surprised if Sega is only taking a small fraction of the revenue, normally it's the other way and the IP holder gets to keep most of it.
    That actually makes sense so thanks for clarifying that. I just generally see it for the fact that Sega wasn't doing fuck all with the IP so if some studio with a good rep goes up to them and says "Hey we want to make a game with this IP", I'm sure Sega was like, "Yeah Ok sounds good. Not like we were ever going to do fuck all with it."

    Come to think of it, Wasn't the Genesis Streets of Rage games not even developed by Sega to begin with? I'm probably wrong but I do recall they farmed out some of their IPs to other studios to make them.
    05/05/15

  3. #138
    Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher Virtua Hunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    288
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BonusKun View Post
    Again this isn't making sense sir. What exactly is the problem with Sega doing what they did?

    They own the IP and in turn let DotEmu develop the game which means Sega spent 0 dollars & labor making this game and they got paid for it.

    It looks like a win to me. It's not like Sega was able to take a chance hiring the talented people that made the game. 1.5 million downloads is pretty damn hot and that's not including how many physical copies sold. Sega made money and didn't have to spend a dime.

    I mean let's be real about this. Who is still at Sega with the talent to make a game like SoR 4 at this time? Considering they just shut down another once of their offices I don't seem them trying to spend a lot of money on a "chance" for success.
    Sure you're getting crumbs for making nothing, it's not that bad, if you want to continue to struggle day by day to survive you are doing it right.

    Nowadays even Sonic struggle to reach 1 million of copies...they aren't in a position to just waste classic IPs like that.
    This just shows once more that, unlike what Sega believe, classic IPs are still viable and could be a golden goose for Sega (this is a million seller now).

    As for the team, there are still people from the 16bit days like Kodama etc. also Ancient (SOR2) are still active.
    It's not like only french indie can do it.

    SOR4 could've been a massive success for Sega.


    Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    Streets of Rage 4 is on Game Pass which is a serious number inflator, so be careful how you read those 1.5 million downloads (I have no idea how much publishers actually get from subscription services but Game Pass is cheap…). Also I would be surprised if Sega is only taking a small fraction of the revenue, normally it's the other way and the IP holder gets to keep most of it.
    sure game pass inflate a little, but don't forget those copies aren't free (it's Microsoft that pay for these games to be included in their service, and the rest comes from subscription fee).
    I don't think Sega is getting more than 30% like usually companies do in these cases, and this is already a bit of a stretch for a indie publisher like dotemu..

    No way the project would be greenlighted if Sega asked something like 60% of revenue.

  4. #139
    Raging in the Streets Sik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    4,166
    Rep Power
    77

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BonusKun View Post
    Come to think of it, Wasn't the Genesis Streets of Rage games not even developed by Sega to begin with? I'm probably wrong but I do recall they farmed out some of their IPs to other studios to make them.
    I was gonna comment on this since I'm pretty sure they were outsourced, but I'm not sure how much Sega had a say on it. We do have a design doc for SOR1 (in English at that) which definitely seems to come from Sega — interesting to read too, as it talks about what they may need to do to reduce memory usage as well as claiming that Final Fight's perspective is horrendous (characters always facing sideways when walking, unlike e.g. Golden Axe where they may face front or back depending on the direction they're moving), as well as the obvious stuff like character stats and the original plot and the like. On the other hand the SOR2 design stuff we have seems to come from Ancient… I have no clue.

    There has been definitely a big deal in recent times about how SOR2 was outsourced, though (mainly because the Koshiro family was heavily involved).

  5. #140
    Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher Virtua Hunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    288
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    I was gonna comment on this since I'm pretty sure they were outsourced, but I'm not sure how much Sega had a say on it. We do have a design doc for SOR1 (in English at that) which definitely seems to come from Sega — interesting to read too, as it talks about what they may need to do to reduce memory usage as well as claiming that Final Fight's perspective is horrendous (characters always facing sideways when walking, unlike e.g. Golden Axe where they may face front or back depending on the direction they're moving), as well as the obvious stuff like character stats and the original plot and the like. On the other hand the SOR2 design stuff we have seems to come from Ancient… I have no clue.

    There has been definitely a big deal in recent times about how SOR2 was outsourced, though (mainly because the Koshiro family was heavily involved).
    SOR1 and SOR3 were made by Sega internal CS team, with Noriyoshi Oba at the helm.
    SOR2 was a coproduction, with Ancient doing majority of the work, and the Sega's SOR Team helping and supervising.

  6. #141
    Underground Sega Nut BonusKun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Age
    49
    Posts
    1,881
    Rep Power
    70

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Virtua Hunter View Post
    Sure you're getting crumbs for making nothing, it's not that bad, if you want to continue to struggle day by day to survive you are doing it right.

    Nowadays even Sonic struggle to reach 1 million of copies...they aren't in a position to just waste classic IPs like that.
    This just shows once more that, unlike what Sega believe, classic IPs are still viable and could be a golden goose for Sega (this is a million seller now).
    You might be wrong on that after what Sik had mentioned...

    Also I would be surprised if Sega is only taking a small fraction of the revenue, normally it's the other way and the IP holder gets to keep most of it.
    This actually seems to make more sense. Either way Sega made money for doing almost nothing. I wouldn't be really upset about that.

    As for the team, there are still people from the 16bit days like Kodama etc. also Ancient (SOR2) are still active.
    It's not like only french indie can do it.
    Generally tho you're right on that aspect but again, I don't see the point of them doing that since they had a studio with good credentials come to them wanting to make this game. Sega obviously had no plans for the Streets of Rage franchise whatsoever since they green-lighted DotEmu to develop the game.

    SOR4 could've been a massive success for Sega.
    The game honestly was a great success since the genre for that type of game and style has been dead for years. The reviews have been almost all positive which is more then what people could ask for. With the success of this and Sonic Mania, I'm hopeful towards the future of more games with new content and am happy to see these IPs being brought into a new generation of gamers.
    05/05/15

  7. #142
    Master of Shinobi
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,887
    Rep Power
    43

    Default

    Could a moderator do something about this thread? Breakout the off topic posts or something into their own thread?
    Oh I see a mod has been fueling the off topic posts. go figure.

  8. #143
    The Future is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingESWAT Veteran Leynos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    1999
    Posts
    5,314
    Rep Power
    69

    Default

    Every time I come here seeing a new post I think there was a new trailer but instead if the same bitching from the same person. FFS

    Life!? ... What console is that on?



    [PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99


  9. #144
    Underground Sega Nut BonusKun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Age
    49
    Posts
    1,881
    Rep Power
    70

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zz Badnusty View Post
    Could a moderator do something about this thread? Breakout the off topic posts or something into their own thread?
    Oh I see a mod has been fueling the off topic posts. go figure.
    Oh relax. It's not like it's super far off topic since it's a discussion about Sega's IPs being revived.
    05/05/15

  10. #145
    The Future is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingESWAT Veteran Leynos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    1999
    Posts
    5,314
    Rep Power
    69

    Default


    Life!? ... What console is that on?



    [PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99


  11. #146
    Underground Sega Nut BonusKun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Age
    49
    Posts
    1,881
    Rep Power
    70

    Default

    Ok this is looking a lot better then that 1st trailer. Not super awesome but a lot better.
    05/05/15

  12. #147
    The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    10,487
    Rep Power
    199

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BonusKun View Post
    Ok this is looking a lot better then that 1st trailer. Not super awesome but a lot better.
    Yeah its not super bad anymore, definitely improved.

  13. #148
    Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert MushaAleste's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    229
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    The game looks awkward as hell. But i preordered it anyway since i am a sucker for anything Ryuichi Nishizawa is involved with. But i gotta say 2D dot/pixel graphics would have been nicer. And a true sequel instead of a pointless remake would have been even nicer. A lot of would have beens.... lol. Lets see how this goes, and what the guy does after.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •