Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Riven for Saturn

Default Riven for Saturn

I'm a big fan of Myst and Riven, but I played them on PC.

I've recently been looking into the console ports. Most of the early (1995) Myst ports like Saturn and 3DO were done by Sunsoft themselves (who commissioned and funded Myst in the first place), except for the Playstation port of Myst that was outsourced to a British company (Visual Sciences) in 1996 and was quite poor. Riven was ported in 1997 to Playstation by the same team that did Myst for Saturn, and it shows.

The Saturn version came late (very late in mid-1998), was only released in Europe and Japan, and was supposedly done by Sega themselves. It had many differences, such as better animation, different resolution, less disc swapping (4 vs 5), and faster loading. The Saturn port also supported the Shuttle Mouse which never even came out in Europe.

I feel like it's a long shot considering the game didn't travel very far, but has anyone played Riven for Saturn? Was it really made by Sega? Did the Saturn have any advantages to running a game like Riven over the Playstation?

I feel like the Playstation could run Myst/Riven better considering it had hardware video decompression abilities, yet it doesn't.
    Last edited by Blades; 09-03-2020 at 07:17 AM.

I'd be interested in these answers as well, although as a Myst/Riven fan it's hard to justify playing it anywhere other than PC except for novelty.

Blades would you really re-play Riven on Saturn?

Quote Originally Posted by Genesis Knight View Post
    Blades would you really re-play Riven on Saturn?
    Yeah probably, when I have some time .

1998 was so late for Saturn I have no idea why Sega Japan themselves would put effort into a port of Riven of all things.

Master of Shinobi

To confuse matters further, the Japanese version appears to have been published by Enix. There's no Sega credit on the title screen, just Cyan, Sunsoft, and Enix.

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    The Saturn version came late (very late in mid-1998), was only released in Europe and Japan
    It was released in Brazil too.
    https://www.satakore.com/sega-saturn...-Myst-BRA.html

I remember it even being advertised in Brazilian game magazines at the time.

End of line.. Shining Hero gamevet's Avatar

Cardboard box?! Was that the norm for Brazilian Saturn titles?
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Hero of Algol

Yes, I think so.
    Even Sega CD games were like that here IIRC.

This is the only side by side comparison I know of, but take it with a grain of salt. Barone pointed out before that the colors might not be 100% accurate:

End of line.. Shining Hero gamevet's Avatar

There were a few on the SEGA CD here near the launch (Wonderdog and such), but the rest have been the large plastic jewel cases here.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

The Saturn version came late (very late in mid-1998), was only released in Europe and Japan, and was supposedly done by Sega themselves. It had many differences, such as better animation, different resolution, less disc swapping (4 vs 5), and faster loading. The Saturn port also supported the Shuttle Mouse which never even came out in Europe.
    It wasn't done by SEGA their self's just published in Europe by SEGA; like with Resident Evil, Wipeout 2097 Ect.. on the Saturn. I have the Pal version is a very nice port, it does support the mouse even on Pal. Never played the PS version, but I can confirm the Saturn version is 4 discs and looks and sounds amazing with great use of True Motion and also ADX. Its stunning port IMO, I was just playing it the other day making a vid.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    Cardboard box?! Was that the norm for Brazilian Saturn titles?
    My copy of Burning Rangers is a South American release version and it came in a standard CD jewel case in cardboard box about the size of a Saturn long box case. While the manual and text on the box might be in Portuguese, it is the exact same US NTSC release of the game but only set me back like $80 about 3 years ago when I bought it on the 'bay.

I've done some research on this. I checked the in-game credits for the Saturn version, and it's the same team as the Playstation version. The lead programmer was Masahiro Imaizumi.

While I was there, I took a few direct screenshots to compare. The Saturn version is far superior in my opinion. I'm not sure what happened to the Playstation version, but it looks very washed out and there are excessive compression artifacts everywhere. The video also looks stretched vertically. If Playstation has superior video abilities, it's definitely not seen here.

My guess is Sunsoft worked more closely with Sega for some reason. They didn't even do Myst for Playstation, it was outsourced.

Look at the shadow line and Atrus' hand.

Last edited by Blades; 09-03-2020 at 04:59 PM.

I've done some research on this. I checked the in-game credits for the Saturn version, and it's the same team as the Playstation version. The lead programmer was Masahiro Imaizumi.

While I was there, I took a few direct screenshots to compare. The Saturn version is far superior in my opinion. I'm not sure what happened to the Playstation version, but it looks very washed out and there are excessive compression artifacts everywhere. The video also looks stretched vertically. If Playstation has superior video abilities, it's definitely not seen here.

My guess is Sunsoft worked more closely with Sega for some reason. They didn't even do Myst for Playstation, it was outsourced.

Look at the shadow line and Atrus' hand.

Wow thanks for the info, though I have a hard time believing even True Motion could outdo PS FMV. I do have a small interview with Sunsoft talking about Saturn Riven and how ADX allowed them to have high quality sound samples that weren't downgraded too much, unlike with the previous PC to Saturn ports. I'm amazed how SEGA America didn't look to bring this or Deep Fear to the Saturn in the USA.

Talking of these style of games Discworld II is awesome on the Saturn as well
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    Wow thanks for the info, though I have a hard time believing even True Motion could outdo PS FMV.
    Me too. I don't really have an explanation, but there it is.

I do have a small interview with Sunsoft talking about Saturn Riven and how ADX allowed them to have high quality sound samples that weren't downgraded too much, unlike with the previous PC to Saturn ports. I'm amazed how SEGA America didn't look to bring this or Deep Fear to the Saturn in the USA.
    Can you post this interview or say where it's from?

Talking of these style of games Discworld II is awesome on the Saturn as well
    Never heard of it, I'll have to try it.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner

Why not? PS1 video was always MJPEG, since it had a hw block for that, and probably nobody bothered trying to do a better encoder than Sony's.

Thread Information