Quantcast

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Retro-Bit rereleasing four Toaplan shmups

Quote Originally Posted by Leynos View Post
    What did everyone end up getting? I could only do Truxton.
    I ended up getting the boxed set of four.

I'll admit I do feel a bit crazy because I do already have these games. But unlike Columbus Circle it feels like Retro-Bit has put a high level of quality into this physical release. Of course we won't know for sure until we get these games in our hands but I am optimistic.

On paper the price tag of $45 USD each seems reasonable for the quality and the niche market but it does add up. With $30 USD in shipping my wallet got hit for $260 CAD (~$190 USD).
    Sega Dude

Visit my Instagram @RetroMegabit or RetroMegabit.com

I got Truxton and Fireshark. I own all of them already but I own Zero Wing and Hellfire CIB already so only Truxton and Fireshark do I have loose carts of. I do think the quality of the carts themselves will be of much higher quality compared to some other recent releases due to the fact that DB Elect was involved with the carts. Retro-Bit also did a great job on the new controllers for the Genesis and Saturn (Or at least I like them a lot!) so I'm sure they will do these justice.

Quote Originally Posted by thesegadude View Post
    On paper the price tag of $45 USD each seems reasonable for the quality and the niche market but it does add up. With $30 USD in shipping my wallet got hit for $260 CAD (~$190 USD).
    To be fair, the shipping cost is more related to the size and weight than the actual price. It's import taxes you have to watch out for when it comes to the price tag.

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    To be fair, the shipping cost is more related to the size and weight than the actual price. It's import taxes you have to watch out for when it comes to the price tag.
    You're right duty can hit hard. I ordered from Castlemania Games (in the US) and I'm in Canada and the shipping charge was labeled 'International - Duty Paid ' so maybe that means duty and shipping have been combined into one fee.

If that's right, then $30 USD for shipping and duty is pretty good.

...but I still want to fuss about it
    Sega Dude

Quote Originally Posted by thesegadude View Post
    You're right duty can hit hard. I ordered from Castlemania Games (in the US) and I'm in Canada and the shipping charge was labeled 'International - Duty Paid ' so maybe that means duty and shipping have been combined into one fee.

If that's right, then $30 USD for shipping and duty is pretty good.

...but I still want to fuss about it
    I got mine through LRG as they sent me an email on it before I knew Castlemania had them available. Same prices though so I don't think there is anything difference in cost to me from one vs the others since I'm in the US already.

Quote Originally Posted by CrossBow View Post
    I got mine through LRG as they sent me an email on it before I knew Castlemania had them available. Same prices though so I don't think there is anything difference in cost to me from one vs the others since I'm in the US already.
    When I was looking into when this Toaplan bundle would be open for pre-order I noticed that Castlemania was going to be accepting orders a few hours earlier so that's why I went with them.

Not that it matters... both place are still taking pre-orders.
    Sega Dude

I got all four of them. All games are quite OK, though not as good as MUSHA or Thunder Force III/IV. I've had fond memories of Fire Shark, which my half-brother had when he was a kid. He thought it was OK I guess, but his mother loved it so much and could easily beat it. She had strategies for all levels, which weapon to use on which level etc. (and actually the red weapon wasn't best on all levels). Many years later, I went to an expo in Gothenburg and stayed at their place and picked up a new Mega Drive and a (pirate) copy of Fire Shark for her. She loved it as much as back then, but being in her 60s now, it was much harder for her. I think I'm going to pick up an extra copy of Fire Shark (this new version) for her, that will make her really glad.
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

Toejam is a wiener. Master of Shinobi SEGA-Jorge's Avatar

I'm hoping that the good response to this set will encourage Retrobit to do more rereleases. Ideally in single games. I don't want to do $160 packs all the time.

That's a cool mom. Not being able to play in my 40's as long as I used to and getting stiff thumb muscles after some play, I can already relate to her.

Quote Originally Posted by SEGA-Jorge View Post
    I'm hoping that the good response to this set will encourage Retrobit to do more rereleases. Ideally in single games. I don't want to do $160 packs all the time.
    They announced Mega Man: The Wily Wars too, but I can't find any info on that anymore for some reason.

otobo: Aww. Sounds like I should stop playing turn-based games and save them for when I get older.
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

I ended up ordering Truxton. I already have a complete copy of Fireshark and I've heard that Zero Wing ain't all that great.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

Quote Originally Posted by Leynos View Post
    What did everyone end up getting? I could only do Truxton.
    ...I already have Fire Shark, so I only ordered Truxton and Hellfire. I had both of these slip through my fingers over the last year, so for the price and content both were definite buys. I was on the fence about Zero Wing and decided to pass, I wasn't sure I would really enjoy it (and it's never been on my radar).

Toejam is a wiener. Master of Shinobi SEGA-Jorge's Avatar

So I just updated my order to all four. I decided screw it, it's really the only thing I collect, and I would like to have the whole set. Hope they come out nice.

Does anyone know what other plans Retrobit has in terms of Genesis/Megadrive releases? This doesn't seem like a 1 and done thing. I think they might be doing a few of these, albeit, maybe not in sets like this.

No idea, and probably depends on how long licensing takes (since as far as I know they aren't making their own games). They already released Wily Wars so that definitely confirms it's not an one-off from their end. As far as Tatsujin is concerned? No idea, though they only relatively recently got together the Toaplan IP (their announcement about that was last year) so they're likely still trying to see what to do with it.

They own Teki Paki so I hope they release the cancelled Mega Drive version :​P (which went unreleased because Toaplan went bust around that time)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvZWZOXuB0A

The Future is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingESWAT Veteran Leynos's Avatar

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Thread Information