Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jessie Jaeger in Cleopatra's Curse : Kickstarter

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

Default Jessie Jaeger in Cleopatra's Curse : Kickstarter

Jessie Jaeger in Cleopatra's Curse
    A new adventure for the Turbografx-16 and Sega Genesis consoles!

Story:
    Jessie Jaeger in Cleopatra's Curse is a new metroidvania-style game for the Sega Genesis, Turbografx-16 and Turbografx Super CD! Explore Cleopatra's Crypt to find the pieces of her sarcophagus, and save your grandpa from her curse!

Cleopatra's Curse is near completion already. All footage provided is recorded directly from in-game. The Turbografx Super CD version is complete, and will be sent for manufacturing once the Kickstarter has finished! Further, the Sega Genesis version is nearly finished, and production will begin soon after the Super CD!

Why Kickstarter? This will help me determine how many copies to produce, as well as allowing me to purchase the equipment to generate more retro games for these consoles in the future!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...eopatras-curse

This is a project I've been following for a bit and talking with the dev about. I think it's a pretty fun one based on the demo I've played, and unlike most Kickstarters I've had to deal with this one is pretty much complete at this point.

Also, I've enjoyed a lot of the work that mirichin did with the sprites (maybe someday we'll still get Magikana )

Also from the KS:
    Genesis Demo - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1m8V...ew?usp=sharing
    Turbografx Super CD Demo - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hij...ew?usp=sharing
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Here's the original thread in the new section that homebrew discussions are supposed to go. Hopefully this kickstarter thread stays here where it will actually get the most attention.

Having Sega/Mega-CD/cart combo support is a nice feature which makes a dedicated Sega CD version unnecessary.

Hopefully more Mega Drive homebrew will go this route.
    Last edited by Black_Tiger; 09-18-2020 at 05:30 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Hey xelement5x,

Thanks for the heads-up on this! It looks good.

I pledged at the $89 USD level. That looks like the only option to get that Sega CD sound track that can be used with the game.

I am tempted to get that TG-16 HuCard and Super CD as well.
    Sega Dude

Visit my Instagram @RetroMegabit or RetroMegabit.com

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training DarkKobold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    Here's the original thread in the new section that homebrew discussions are supposed to go. Hopefully this kickstarter thread stays here where it will actually get the most attention.

Having Sega/Mega-CD/cart combo support is a nice feature which makes a dedicated Sega CD version unnecessary. Hopefully more

Mega Drive homebrew will go this route.
    I've actually made sure that the changes that make Sega CD work directly with SGDK are available to those that want it. After this is all over, I'm going to try and make it more user friendly, and add a lot of features available in the SCD hardware to that library - And then get Stef to include it with sample code in the SGDK release.

I really just hope people play through the demo and give me feedback. It's available as a free download, so here's hoping it gets more people trying the game.

The Genesis music is pretty great already!

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One McValdemar's Avatar

I think might be coming from the SEGA Cd version. But great anyway!

This is pretty awesome, especially having a new game on both Turbo card, Genesis cartridge with support for Sega CD. So I backed it.
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

Quote Originally Posted by McValdemar View Post
    I think so hardware stock, note the PSG channels start singing at 1:45.

Quote Originally Posted by EPSYLON EAGLE View Post
    I think so hardware stock, note the PSG channels start singing at 1:45.
    looks very nice,

This one they not destroyed everything on PCe conversion to MD. I want to support this project

Visit my youtube channel Pyron's Lair
    Take here all my hacks made with love for all of us here
    Want to help me? Here is my Patreon!

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by McValdemar View Post
    That's definitely real Mega Drive chip sound. So this is the best compliment the Sega version could get.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pyron View Post
    looks very nice,

This one they not destroyed everything on PCe conversion to MD. I want to support this project
    Yeah, was really impressed with the conversion of the sprites from PCE to MD myself. It looks like they worked really hard to make sure everything still looked good and didn't have typical brown washout.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

That looks decent. They've chosen a good setting, I'm surprised more games aren't using it these days.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner Stifu's Avatar

The game and its colors look nice, but I wish the backgrounds were less dull and repetitive. It's like all of the backgrounds share the same bricks made of two tiles, with little diversity.

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    That's definitely real Mega Drive chip sound. So this is the best compliment the Sega version could get.
    The drums and lead reminded me of those from similarly-themed lands in Monster World III...

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent avlon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stifu View Post
    The game and its colors look nice, but I wish the backgrounds were less dull and repetitive. It's like all of the backgrounds share the same bricks made of two tiles, with little diversity.
    I kinda feel the same way. The tiles and background could use some more variety, parallax, and animation or color cycling on them. For example, background behind the cracked walls would look a lot better with some parallax effects. The floor spikes could go up and down in an alternating pattern to give some life to the dungeons. The rooms with fiery floors should have gradients applied to the background and maybe even a flickering "shadow" of the main character behind them. Make the hanging ropes "sway" back-and-forth a little by moving the sprites that compose them a bit, if that makes sense. Think of the "ropes" in "Pitfall" for the 2600. Things like drops of water or dithering smoke would help.

Some more sound fx would help as well. footsteps, running sounds, landing thuds, crackling flames, flapping bat wings with them screeching, etc. That rolling spike ball needs a better sound effect.

I love the art style, basically, it's just that the backgrounds just look static and lifeless to me.

The current engine looks like it would be great for a NES style Zelda game.
    Last edited by avlon; 09-30-2020 at 10:59 PM.

Thread Information