Quantcast

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Patlabor translation in progress

Not claiming to know anything. I saw on page 1 of this thread that this translation had been cancelled.

Just a small update, you can now get to about the halfway point of the game entirely in English. From that it would be easy to say that the localization is half complete, but the game seems to get more text-heavy after you get 50% of the way through and I still have to correct all the mistakes I've made. A rough estimate would put the hack at about 30% complete.

No new patch since the previous one though, sorry.

Its now possible to go through all of Shige's escape plans, the sewer system and its related combat can be played and Goto's gambling game is all done. If you're following the video above, you can play to exactly 25 minutes entirely in English.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One Metal64's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Moham View Post
    The patch was turned down by RHDN for being incomplete.
    Humm... That is kind of funny, I pretty sure that RHDN host some incomplete patches

I'm still looking for help with this. If anyone wants to take a look at some of the untranslated text, proofread the material I've translated or just provide feedback on what's already been made available it would be appreciated. Given the amount of work that's already been done, I thought at least a few people would have offered to help. There's two sections in particular that I know I've translated badly. A very rough guess of translation was made early in the game and there's a tricky part about half an hour into a playthrough.

*Edit
    If I was a girl I would probably have about 100 people offering to help already.

Quote Originally Posted by Metal64 View Post
    Humm... That is kind of funny, I pretty sure that RHDN host some incomplete patches
    I was surprised too.
    Last edited by Mad Moham; 06-16-2021 at 05:30 PM. Reason: Mad Moham is male

*Edit
    If I was a girl I would probably have about 100 people offering to help already.
    Certainly

Too bad my japanese knowledge is restricted to "omae wa mou shindeiru" but I still appreciate all the good work already done.

This game begs for a color hack

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

OK, I played this one for about 45 minutes! I was able to track everyone down on my own, make it to the game's title screen, escape from captivity, and do some roaming around and get into random battles -- which ranged from "trivial" to "no chance in hell" depending on the grunts.

I'm not sure how to heal, so that's currently putting a damper on my progress and explorations, but that's fine -- I was just aiming to try it out for now. Clearly I haven't made it far, and haven't seen "Shige's escape plans, the sewer system and its related combat, [or] Goto's gambling game" yet.

The translation looks great and seems idiomatic and natural. Really nice progress on this. I'm not sure how far along certain parts are supposed to be, but here are the typos I found, using OpenEmu and applying the 0.08 patch to an old GoodGen ROM that seems to work. (What's the CRC32 or MD5 of your preferred ROM?)

Opening segment:
    Various places where "Its" should be "It's", e.g. LOOK with Goto, LOOK in the night shift room or in the boat house, Sakaki's "…and its me you’ll", and anytime a room is locked ("Its locked")
    Men’s toilet - small glitch in the "The"
    The kitchen - glitch character S’M at the end of description
    Storage room - miscellaneous is misspelled (missing one L)
    Mechanic A - dialogue is nonsense
    Ohta - TALK a second time yields nonsense

——
    Second segment:
    "Its like someone has deliberately locked you in"
    Rooftop: cutscene dialogue is nonsense

Third segment:
    Goto - “no one know’s you”
    Savegame text is nonsense after Yes or No are selected
    One nonsense option in Goto dialog (TOb’), leads to nonsense - not sure what this even is?
    Chicken coop is now nonsense

After game over: Slot 2 text is corrupted/cavespeak on CONTINUE dialogue

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    OK, I played this one for about 45 minutes! I was able to track everyone down on my own, make it to the game's title screen, escape from captivity, and do some roaming around and get into random battles -- which ranged from "trivial" to "no chance in hell" depending on the grunts.

Thanks very much! Your help is appreciated and I'll definitely give you credit on the next patch released.
    You're better off just fleeing in most cases after you've acquired the uniform from the soldiers, since as you mentioned, some soldiers are practically impossible to defeat.

I'm not sure how to heal, so that's currently putting a damper on my progress and explorations, but that's fine -- I was just aiming to try it out for now. Clearly I haven't made it far, and haven't seen "Shige's escape plans, the sewer system and its related combat, [or] Goto's gambling game" yet.
    It isn't obvious (unless it was in the manual and I just can't find it), but you're supposed to go to Hiromi's tomato patch (after escaping from the night room) and exhaust the 'Look' until you get the option to take one of the tomatoes. The tomato can be used on the 'Items' screen to replenish health at almost any time, and although you can only carry one at a time you can always go back and get another tomato if necessary. There's also some old rotten food in the kitchen upstairs but I've never found a reason to collect that stuff because it depletes some health when used.

The translation looks great and seems idiomatic and natural. Really nice progress on this. I'm not sure how far along certain parts are supposed to be, but here are the typos I found, using OpenEmu and applying the 0.08 patch to an old GoodGen ROM that seems to work.

Opening segment:
    Various places where "Its" should be "It's", e.g. LOOK with Goto, LOOK in the night shift room or in the boat house, Sakaki's "…and its me you’ll", and anytime a room is locked ("Its locked")
    Thanks, I didn't even know it was a mistake until you pointed it out, had an English teacher at school who swore 'it's' is always wrong but having just checked it seems she was wrong (she was actually a very good English teacher apart from that though). Whenever someone asks me how long it takes to learn Japanese I always tell them that I'm still learning English, and now I've just learned something else about 'its' and 'it's'.

Men’s toilet - small glitch in the "The"
    The kitchen - glitch character S’M at the end of description
    Storage room - miscellaneous is misspelled (missing one L)
    Mechanic A - dialogue is nonsense
    Ohta - TALK a second time yields nonsense
    All fixed for next patch.

Second segment:
    "Its like someone has deliberately locked you in"
    Rooftop: cutscene dialogue is nonsense
    The rooftop cutscene is translated and will be in the next patch, it's mostly just the text from the back of the box so it wasn't hard to translate as it's about the only text I can find with the kanji included. Basically there's been a coup d'etat by the JSDF and the police station is under lockdown.

One nonsense option in Goto dialog (TOb’), leads to nonsense - not sure what this even is?
    Chicken coop is now nonsense

After game over: Slot 2 text is corrupted/cavespeak on CONTINUE dialogue
    TOb' is Goto's gambling game dude. I got it translated ready for next patch, you'll need to have acquired some money from combat (which almost never happens) and then you can play this odd gambling game. The 'Slot 2' problem has been noted but is not a priority, the game will still load and save from the slot I just haven't translated it yet. I just translated slot 1 as an experiment.

Thanks very much for your taking time to play the patch and provide detailed feedback. Everything has been noted and it looks like a decent localization will come from it.

*Edit
    I have to go help my mother with some stuff at her house on the weekend. If I get the job done early I'll spend the rest of the weekend working on Patlabor and try getting a new patch available for next week.
    Last edited by Mad Moham; 06-29-2021 at 09:53 AM.

Thanks very much! Your help is appreciated and I'll definitely give you credit on the next patch released.
    You're better off just fleeing in most cases after you've acquired the uniform from the soldiers, since as you mentioned, some soldiers are practically impossible to defeat.
    Ah, got it. Wasn't sure if I was missing anything, given how difficult combat can sometimes be. Is there leveling-up in this game or is character growth all done with items/weapons?

It isn't obvious (unless it was in the manual and I just can't find it), but you're supposed to go to Hiromi's tomato patch (after escaping from the night room) and exhaust the 'Look' until you get the option to take one of the tomatoes.
    Aha, good to know! I tried doing that (multiple LOOKs) during the first part of the game but not later.

Thanks, I didn't even know it was a mistake until you pointed it out, had an English teacher at school who swore 'it's' is always wrong but having just checked it seems she was wrong (she was actually a very good English teacher apart from that though). Whenever someone asks me how long it takes to learn Japanese I always tell them that I'm still learning English, and now I've just learned something else about 'its' and 'it's'.
    Frankly that's a very common mistake for native English speakers. It's not at all obvious that you aren't one (a native speaker) -- I had no idea, in fact.

The rooftop cutscene is translated and will be in the next patch, it's mostly just the text from the back of the box so it wasn't hard to translate as it's about the only text I can find with the kanji included. Basically there's been a coup d'etat by the JSDF and the police station is under lockdown.
    Awesome.

TOb' is Goto's gambling game dude. I got it translated ready for next patch, you'll need to have acquired some money from combat (which almost never happens) and then you can play this odd gambling game.
    Ah, that makes sense! I did get money at one point but wasn't able to save in time. I really like the humorous "I'll just borrow this for now, but of course I'll return it later" text when you do get money (not an exact quote).

And glad TOb' is just the gambling game, I was afraid I was agreeing to sacrifice half my HP in exchange for a cupcake or something.

I have good news and bad news on this localization. Good news is I'll be spending Saturday evening and most of Sunday getting a new patch ready to release. Bad news is I've lost some of my work. Don't worry, it seems to only be a small amount. The part I've lost is Shige's escape plans, not sure how I lost that but everything else seems to still be there.

Frankly that's a very common mistake for native English speakers. It's not at all obvious that you aren't one (a native speaker) -- I had no idea, in fact.
    I am a native English speaker. Sorry, my point wasn't very clear. When I said I'm still learning English I meant that I'm still always trying to improve my English language skill, it's impossible to know everything and I don't want to be teh guy wot rite bad inglish cuz that'z anoying. I still read books on English grammar and I still look up words in the dictionary all the time. It really makes me cringe when I'm at work and have to respond to emails from native English speakers who don't have half a grip on their own language.

Sorry its been a while since the previous patch. Here's a new one.

Download here

If anyone plays it, please provide feedback. Obviously I'm particularly interested in mistakes and bugs but any helpful feedback is greatly appreciated.

With this patch, you should be able to play as far as the submarine, but if you rescue Azumi, you've gone about as far as this patch has been translated.

Soon, I may be looking for help with relocating some text for a cutscene. Will give it my best shot and see how it goes first.
    Once again, if anyone is playing through and gets stuck, there's a Japanese playthrough (not my video) that I posted earlier in the thread and it should be enough if you're struggling with anything. Otherwise just ask me on here and I'll help as best I can.

*Edit
    While I've known of an error near the beginning of the game, someone has very kindly made me aware of what the translation should have been. Another mistranslation was also found, in this case it's something I was unaware of. So if anyone has played the game and noticed that Sakaki's lines are wrong, don't worry, they'll be rectified for the next patch. The mistake didn't cause any problems with gameplay anyway.
    Last edited by Mad Moham; 07-06-2021 at 06:15 PM.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

Sorry its been a while since the previous patch. Here's a new one.

Download here

If anyone plays it, please provide feedback. Obviously I'm particularly interested in mistakes and bugs but any helpful feedback is greatly appreciated.

With this patch, you should be able to play as far as the submarine, but if you rescue Azumi, you've gone about as far as this patch has been translated.

Soon, I may be looking for help with relocating some text for a cutscene. Will give it my best shot and see how it goes first.
    Once again, if anyone is playing through and gets stuck, there's a Japanese playthrough (not my video) that I posted earlier in the thread and it should be enough if you're struggling with anything. Otherwise just ask me on here and I'll help as best I can.

*Edit
    While I've known of an error near the beginning of the game, someone has very kindly made me aware of what the translation should have been. Another mistranslation was also found, in this case it's something I was unaware of. So if anyone has played the game and noticed that Sakaki's lines are wrong, don't worry, they'll be rectified for the next patch. The mistake didn't cause any problems with gameplay anyway.
    Are you going to update your original post that says this project is cancelled?

Quote Originally Posted by turboxray View Post
    Are you going to update your original post that says this project is cancelled?
    It probably makes sense to change it now that the localization is over halfway through.

Just wanted to note that I'm still tuned into this, and plan to test out the new translation patch soon. Just got caught up in Eliminate Down, and now that I got my 1CC on Hard, I'm ready to repurpose those brain cells for other things.

Thread Information