Quantcast

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Patlabor translation in progress

Sadly I don't have another patch to share, but I can show that combat is in English now. Just having the combat translated makes the game much more playable to non-Japanese speakers, I'm hoping to share another patch within the next few weeks.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner Stifu's Avatar

Take care!

And while I am no Patlabor fan, it's nice to see you take this project seriously, and being open about its progress.

Master of Shinobi

eagerly awaiting for next patch as I missed 0.03 and download link is dead now. How much % of the game text would you say have you injected in the rom yet? Many thanks
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cart sizes @ Top 5 @ Top 250 @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150) @ best European games

A new patch has been made and was sent to RHDN. I'm awaiting approval, but if it makes it onto the site, I won't be posting any further patches on Sega-16. Instead all updates will go through RHDN, but obviously if anyone finds any issues with the latest patch it would be nice if you could give details in this thread.

I'm not sure how much interest there is in Patlabor, but from what I've played its actually a good game. Honestly I'm surprised that no one ever made a localisation before. Its also one of the last few official releases without a Western localisation, so I'm keen to get the patch completed.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Mad Moham again.

Its coming along nicely, none of the translation is final and I will be going over the whole of the text again to make sure there's as few mistakes as possible.

The combat can now include a few friends. I had to expand the status bar to accommodate the character's names in English. Yes my character's name is 'MMMM' for the purposes of playtesting. 'Mad Moham' doesn't fit in the space provided, maybe the space for the player's name can be expanded when the rest of the hack is complete.

So is anyone bothering to play the patches that I made available?

The hack has been fun to make so far, but I need feedback so I can correct any mistakes. If no one can be bothered to play it and provide feedback then there's no point in releasing patches every now and then. I've made a lot of corrections since the first patch was made available and I have another list of corrections that aren't done yet, but I don't want to be the only one playtesting this.

Also, there may be an issue with saving the game if you're playing via flashcart. I haven't been able to save on my Everdrive so far. *Edit: Turns out saving works just fine, I'm not sure what I did wrong on my first few attempts.
    Last edited by Mad Moham; 02-27-2021 at 12:07 PM.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

I'm a bit confused with the cancelling and then the unannounced un-cancelling?

Quote Originally Posted by roce View Post
    I'm a bit confused with the cancelling and then the unannounced un-cancelling?
    Well if you need the full story, I'll tell you. I thought I was doing a terrible job with localising Patlabor. But then having been involved in another localisation project, working with some experienced people, I found out that all the problems I was having with Patlabor are just a normal part of the process. Having learned from the other project I decided to continue Patlabor. The workload at my job is inconsistent though, so expect my Patlabor output to be equally inconsistent.

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

Looks like the work is going really well. What's the right place to download the most current version of the patch? I wasn't able to find anything at RHDN.

The patch was turned down by RHDN for being incomplete. Sorry, I should have made that clear on this thread as soon as they told me. I honestly thought WIP hacks could be uploaded to RHDN but obviously didn't take enough care when reading the rules.

Latest version is here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oewagwusb5..._0_08.zip?dl=0

As the current patch stands, you can play the first 15-20 minutes of a game that can probably be finished in one hour.

If you get stuck, an (almost) complete playthrough is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLr2...able_polymer=1

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Moham View Post
    a game that can probably be finished in one hour.
    This raised my interest by quite a lot.

As lazy as I am, I might give it a try with this info.

another translation lost to the wind....

Quote Originally Posted by ironnick23 View Post
    another translation lost to the wind....
    What does that mean? You know something I don't about the status of this localization?

Wildside Expert

Love these translation projects, sorry but Iím one of those who lurks and waits for the completed patch.
    But wanted to say thank you for doing this

Thread Information