Quantcast

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Darius getting a cartridge release

Megadrive Darius getting a cartridge release

https://twitter.com/ColumbusCircleC/...52189743554560

Launching on February 25th, 2021.
    No price announced yet but I imagine it won't be far off the mark for Columbus Circle.

Toejam is a wiener. Master of Shinobi SEGA-Jorge's Avatar

Will it just be the same game that's on the Genesis Mini?

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One Centrale's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SEGA-Jorge View Post
    Will it just be the same game that's on the Genesis Mini?
    According to @hakuukazuo in the linked thread... "This is the EXTRA version, so it's different from the OLD,NEW version of the MDmini model.
    However, it's such an upgrade that you have to be a Darius expert to see the difference."

Outrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Centrale View Post
    According to @hakuukazuo in the linked thread... "This is the EXTRA version, so it's different from the OLD,NEW version of the MDmini model.
    However, it's such an upgrade that you have to be a Darius expert to see the difference."
    Did he mean "don't have to be a Darius expert"? Otherwise, I'm not sure how that works.

Probably like the mode where some arcade ports have that tweak how a few things behave. If you aren't somebody who has already memorized the game you aren't likely to notice that stuff.

Extra version is an arcade revision with mostly gameplay balancing: 1m bonus for each ship remaining after clearing, better laser damage, easier fatty gluton, lower hp for bosses, harder final bosses pattern etc. It basically fixes the jank suff from the original version.
    https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=64219
    Last edited by Vludi; 10-10-2020 at 09:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    Probably like the mode where some arcade ports have that tweak how a few things behave. If you aren't somebody who has already memorized the game you aren't likely to notice that stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vludi View Post
    Extra version is an arcade revision with mostly gameplay balancing: 1m bonus for each ship remaining after clearing, better laser damage, easier fatty gluton, harder final bosses pattern etc. It basically fixes the jank suff from the original version.
    https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=64219
    Ah, okay. This all sounds like a pretty cool package. I really like the look of the case as well. I'm really bummed that Columbus Circle isn't doing US versions of these releases. I want to be able to add these to my collection, but I don't have a Japanese Megadrive, or a modded Genesis. Hopefully they will start looking into US ports in the future.

-SEGA-Jorge

On a separate note. Is Mad Stalker: Full Metal Forth region locked? Can I just play it on a US Genesis with a pass-through cart, or a simple cart insert modification?

Road Rasher

On a separate note. Is Mad Stalker: Full Metal Forth region locked? Can I just play it on a US Genesis with a pass-through cart, or a simple cart insert modification?
    I'll check on my Mega SG to be sure, but I don't think it is. It definitely uses the JP cart shape, though. I also have a modified Genesis, but it's currently in storage due to my house being hit by a tree (staying in a hotel currently).

edit: Works in USA mode on Mega SG.
    Last edited by BrianC; 10-11-2020 at 01:18 AM.

It doesn't appear to be as I can play it on my Genesis in US mode without issue. I use my 32x as the cartridge slot on it is just a tad wider than on my actual Genesis and I'm able to insert Jpn MD games without modification. But it plays just fine on that setup so I would say that NO it isn't region locked at all. And...the game is 100% in English too BTW so it appears it was ready for a Western release and was just a victim of the times on why it wasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by CrossBow View Post
    It doesn't appear to be as I can play it on my Genesis in US mode without issue. I use my 32x as the cartridge slot on it is just a tad wider than on my actual Genesis and I'm able to insert Jpn MD games without modification. But it plays just fine on that setup so I would say that NO it isn't region locked at all. And...the game is 100% in English too BTW so it appears it was ready for a Western release and was just a victim of the times on why it wasn't.
    That's great news. I might have to grab this. Are we pretty certain that Columus Circle won't have a change of heart and start publishing US variants? And I mean, I can always just put these guts in a donor cart as well. That's certainly an option.

SEGA-Jorge
    Last edited by SEGA-Jorge; 10-11-2020 at 03:44 PM.

Hero of Algol

start publishing US variants?
    I really, really doubt they would do it.
    The whole "Genesis" packaging makes no sense whatsoever for JP publishers in this day and age.
    Also, they seem to only care about communicating in Japanese.
    If they had any interest in English-speaking markets, I think they would handle their social media in a different way.

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    I really, really doubt they would do it.
    The whole "Genesis" packaging makes no sense whatsoever for JP publishers in this day and age.
    Also, they seem to only care about communicating in Japanese.
    If they had any interest in English-speaking markets, I think they would handle their social media in a different way.
    This is a really good point. I'm kinda thinking about importing these games. If I can play them with a simple pass through, and just wait on getting an import Megadrive, I'd be interested. Especially if it's a series of games that Columbus Circle is planning on continuing. Can anyone comment on the quality of the carts/boards? Are they using good components? Are the boards using the appropriate 5v roms etc?

Selling for 7480 yen:
    https://www.columbuscircle.co.jp/pro...7145&p=2&ca=49

Columbus Circle's site sends you to Amazon but if you're comfortable with middlemen (e.g. Tenso) you can also look around other shops, e.g. this is the BEEP store page:
    https://www.beep-shop.com/ec/products/detail/5587

I'd be all over this if Columbus Circle would make a quality product.
    Sega Dude

Visit my Instagram @RetroMegabit or RetroMegabit.com

Thread Information