Quantcast

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Darius getting a cartridge release

Forgot to bring this up, but now they changed the sound driver so it has FM sound effects (as it should, really). It's still XGM, but they modified it to support FM/PSG sound effects at the expense of only having two PCM channels (XGM normally has four, which is kinda overkill).

https://twitter.com/wing_ghost/statu...48192622170113

They did say back then that if they ever got time to work on Darius again that they'd change the sound effects to make them FM, I guess that here's their chance.

Also since we're starting to complain again about manufacturing issues, thought I should write up something… maybe when I talk to manufacturers of boards I can point them here meanwhile until we sort out proper specs to follow:
    https://www.plutiedev.com/blog/20201015

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    Forgot to bring this up, but now they changed the sound driver so it has FM sound effects (as it should, really). It's still XGM, but they modified it to support FM/PSG sound effects at the expense of only having two PCM channels (XGM normally has four, which is kinda overkill).

https://twitter.com/wing_ghost/statu...48192622170113

They did say back then that if they ever got time to work on Darius again that they'd change the sound effects to make them FM, I guess that here's their chance.
    This is awesome. Thanks for sharing the info.
    Explosions sounded like crap and some other effects sounded muffled in the version released with the Mega Drive Mini.

For the record, from what I recall the only reason why the MD Mini release didn't do that is because they didn't have enough time to modify the sound driver and apparently the FM sound effects had been already done. I guess they weren't sure how to proceed, modifying XGM to drop some PCM channels probably was the easiest route in the end (part of the issue was that there's no Z80 RAM left with all the unrolled loops… but it's also true that we probably don't need four PCM channels, so dropping one or two frees up a lot of memory).

I wonder if Zuntata was involved again this time? I know that they weren't that happy with the final result, but again, what I said earlier about the sound driver and the deadline.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

Four is far from excessive. The first is occasionally taken by music, leaves 3. Say one is an extra environmental effect. Leaves two for hero/enemy/shot/etc, which is barely enough.

You're underestimating how much mileage you can get out of FM and PSG channels :​P

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

FM = music drops out, PSG = beeps.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training Family Brick's Avatar

I thought Darius MD was pretty much a triumph on all fronts (especially when played on real hardware)..so this improved version is now my most wanted upcoming MD release. Can't wait tbh.

Toejam is a wiener. Master of Shinobi SEGA-Jorge's Avatar

I just got like how the US players are basically relegated to importing Megadrive stuff, or having to wait for rom dumps. I want to add this stuff to my collection, but I don't really collect Japanese games.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

Seems Strictly Limited Games will also release the game:

https://mailchi.mp/strictlylimitedga...4?e=8d7184857b

Considering how Ultracore got handled by them, I'm not sure that's any better :​P

What happened with strictly Limiteds Ultracore?
    Sega Dude

Visit my Instagram @RetroMegabit or RetroMegabit.com

Looks like they were really hard to come by. All there stuff sells out really fast, then immediately gets put on ebay for crazy prices. They still have pre-orders for Mega Turrican, it seems. I'd probably buy Darius if they released it, and it was a good quality product. If anything, I kinda think that a lot of these new releases are pretty overpriced.

SEGA-Jorge

Basically, SLG released Ultracore in two batches of 500 each, and put a countdown before orders started (because no preorders, huzzah!) in order to encourage people to rush all at once Black Friday style. Oh, and they didn't put a purchase limit on orders, so it's easy to just order the entire batch at once (which is precisely what happened, scalpers grabbed nearly all copies easily). And let's not get started on the emphasis on no reprints ever to encourage people to make it an impulse purchase even harder. The whole thing was a disaster.

Basically, SLG released Ultracore in two batches of 500 each, and put a countdown before orders started (because no preorders, huzzah!) in order to encourage people to rush all at once Black Friday style. Oh, and they didn't put a purchase limit on orders, so it's easy to just order the entire batch at once (which is precisely what happened, scalpers grabbed nearly all copies easily). And let's not get started on the emphasis on no reprints ever to encourage people to make it an impulse purchase even harder. The whole thing was a disaster.
    This sounds freaking terrible. It's like, somehow Limited Run Games was able to make retro gaming, an already freaking unbearably horrible collecting experience, even worse. It's a shame, because that game is now going to be more than likely, impossible to obtain for a vast majority of collectors.

Road Rasher

The whole thing was a disaster.
    SLG sales model is a disaster

Thread Information