Quantcast

Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Three Dirty Dwarves

  1. #1
    Blast processor Melf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Cabo Rojo, PR
    Posts
    9,641
    Rep Power
    143

    Saturn Three Dirty Dwarves

    The heroes of SegaSoft's beat-'em-up were nothing like the dwarves you grew up with! Greg, Taconic, and Corthag starred in a wacky brawler that gave Saturn owners a different take on an established genre. Its quirkiness didn't always make for a smooth ride, but the good far outweighs the bad. Read our full review for more details.

  2. #2
    Pirate King Phantar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Munich, Germany
    Age
    40
    Posts
    4,442
    Rep Power
    78

    Default

    No comments on this one? Interesting, Nobody seemed to care about this game back in the day either. It's really an odd duck of a release: not bad by any means, but placed in such a weird spot that it fails to catch much of anyone's attention or interest, it seems. 😉
    The funny thing about an oxymoron is, even if you remove the ox, there'll always be a moron. The Question Remains: Y?

  3. #3
    Social Justice Ninja Master of Shinobi IrishNinja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Vice City
    Posts
    2,234
    Rep Power
    55

    Default

    ive enjoyed my time with a burn of this one for years now, shame even a disc only version is now stupid expensive...it's a fun c tier beat-em-up, can't imagine which youtuber talked for it to spike like that.


  4. #4
    Master of Shinobi
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,396
    Rep Power
    44

    Default

    The game is a too odd combination to me, Lost Vikings turned into a beat'em up. I want to like it since it was done by a local team, but I just don't find it that much fun.

    Quote Originally Posted by IrishNinja View Post
    ive enjoyed my time with a burn of this one for years now, shame even a disc only version is now stupid expensive...it's a fun c tier beat-em-up, can't imagine which youtuber talked for it to spike like that.
    US Saturn games all demand stupid prices nowadays, best to just ignore it.
    What is odd that even the Japanese copy goes for a ton of money. Even back when the US release was cheap, the Japanese one was not. The Japanese version of Earthworm Jim 2 is also stupid expensive, I don't understand why...

  5. #5
    Hero of Algol
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    8,095
    Rep Power
    189

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phantar View Post
    No comments on this one? Interesting, Nobody seemed to care about this game back in the day either. It's really an odd duck of a release: not bad by any means, but placed in such a weird spot that it fails to catch much of anyone's attention or interest, it seems. 😉
    The Saturn doesn't have a single beat'em up that comes close to both the SOR and Golden Axe series on the Mega Drive.

    They're all full of quirks and pacing issues.

  6. #6
    Pirate King Phantar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Munich, Germany
    Age
    40
    Posts
    4,442
    Rep Power
    78

    Default

    The Psx neither. The fifth generation wasn't really kind to the 2D beat Em up in general. Judging by reviews I think Guardian Heroes might be the best of that era, but it definitely has a few mechanics that feel weirdly off for a purist brawler.
    The funny thing about an oxymoron is, even if you remove the ox, there'll always be a moron. The Question Remains: Y?

  7. #7
    ESWAT Veteran Team Andromeda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Wales, UK
    Posts
    6,198
    Rep Power
    71

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phantar View Post
    The Psx neither. The fifth generation wasn't really kind to the 2D beat Em up in general. Judging by reviews I think Guardian Heroes might be the best of that era, but it definitely has a few mechanics that feel weirdly off for a purist brawler.
    That's because the genre was dying a death in the Arcades and in the home to be honest. I actually think Guardian Heroes is overrated, its nice but wasn't quite the 2nd coming some Saturn fans make it out to be for me. I did enjoy Three Dirty Dwarves it makes fab use of the Saturn's Hardware for lovely graphics and some of the levels make brilliant use of the soundchip, I also liked how it supported the Multi-Tap for 3 players in game. Like many SEGA western games, the difficulty of the game was set way too high and hurt the game.
    I don't mind Crows it's kind of fun (so wish I bought 10 copies )

    Its also a shame SEGA West never brought the 4 MEG cart over to the West, because Dungeons & Dragons was and is rather nice. SEGA Japan needed a good kicking mind. Why Revenge Of Golden Axe and Arabian Fight wasn't ported to the Saturn with multi tap support is beyond me. Arabian Fight shows what a SOR IV Saturn game could have looked like
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

  8. #8
    Pirate King Phantar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Munich, Germany
    Age
    40
    Posts
    4,442
    Rep Power
    78

    Default

    I agree on Revenge of Golden Axe, I really can't understand why this game wasn't brought to the Saturn (or any console for that matter) - it plays great and would in all likelihood have been a boon for home consoles just for the brand name alone. Maybe it underperformed in the Arcades due to the general decline of the brawler genre, while vs Fighters were all the rage? Unfortunately there is no public data on that, so we will probably never know.

    I know that at any rate I would have gladly played Revenge on my Saturn. Instead the console only got "Golden Axe - The Duel", which was... An average experience, and rather lackluster for the Golden Axe brand, I would say. Too bad it only got downhill from there on out. 😕

    So the Three Angry Dwarves is probably as good as it gets for the genre on the Saturn.
    The funny thing about an oxymoron is, even if you remove the ox, there'll always be a moron. The Question Remains: Y?

  9. #9
    ESWAT Veteran Team Andromeda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Wales, UK
    Posts
    6,198
    Rep Power
    71

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phantar View Post
    I agree on Revenge of Golden Axe, I really can't understand why this game wasn't brought to the Saturn (or any console for that matter) - it plays great and would in all likelihood have been a boon for home consoles just for the brand name alone. Maybe it underperformed in the Arcades due to the general decline of the brawler genre, while vs Fighters were all the rage? Unfortunately there is no public data on that, so we will probably never know.

    I know that at any rate I would have gladly played Revenge on my Saturn. Instead the console only got "Golden Axe - The Duel", which was... An average experience, and rather lackluster for the Golden Axe brand, I would say. Too bad it only got downhill from there on out. 😕

    So the Three Angry Dwarves is probably as good as it gets for the genre on the Saturn.
    I agree, but the market for that style of game was getting smaller and the market for Vs fighters was just getting bigger and in the home many users were not happy about paying 50 for a game that could be finished in a matter of hours and in one session, they expected more, not us old Arcade heads but ones who were just getting into consoles. That doesn't excuse SEGA Japan mind. I doubt it would have been that hard to get Revenge Of Golden Axe and Arabian Fight up and running on the Saturn, even if was just part as their AGES range.

    I really think Revenge Of Golden Axe and Arabian Fight would have been perfect for the Multi-Tap and should have been ready for its launch, far better than Victory Goal imo LOL . It also amazes me that Super Hang-On and Outrunners were never ported to the Saturn. Outrunners should have been picked instead of Galeracer, it wasn't like Rad Mobile was that good in the Arcades, but Outrunners was great fun
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

  10. #10
    Social Justice Ninja Master of Shinobi IrishNinja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Vice City
    Posts
    2,234
    Rep Power
    55

    Default

    not sure what some of y'all are on about, guardian heroes is fantastic


  11. #11
    ESWAT Veteran Team Andromeda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Wales, UK
    Posts
    6,198
    Rep Power
    71

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IrishNinja View Post
    not sure what some of y'all are on about, guardian heroes is fantastic
    Its looks fantastic but I find it gets very repetitive and a lot of the levels look the same. I like the game but it's not quite the 2nd coming some Saturn fans make it out to be, well for me anyways. Great showcase for the Saturn's 2D power mind
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •