Quantcast

Thread: Handheld emulation

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker SBlaise84's Avatar

Default Handheld emulation

So does anyone here use handheld devices for emulation? I use either a Galaxy Android phone or an RG350 I bought last year.

20201020_121141.jpg

My phone plays pretty much anything I throw at it, the RG350 tops out at PS1 and some of the emulators could be better. I do like the feel of actual controls though, as touch screens are terrible for most games that aren't rpgs or very slow paced.

What devices do any of you play on, and what're your opinions?

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

I have a rooted GPDXD original model. It runs anything up to DC with good results all round. Battery life could be better, and the OS bottlenecks the use of the very capable Yaba Sanshiro emulator to a lower revision, but otherwise quite a nice machine.

There is a plus model on Android 7.

Quote Originally Posted by cleeg View Post
    I have a rooted GPDXD original model. It runs anything up to DC with good results all round. Battery life could be better, and the OS bottlenecks the use of the very capable Yaba Sanshiro emulator to a lower revision, but otherwise quite a nice machine.

There is a plus model on Android 7.
    How does it feel holding that? Those GPDXDs always catch my eye but it looks a little awkward to hold.

I'm using an rg350 for most of my retro gaming. I don't play much over ps1 anyways so it works best for me. Other retro gaming is done on a shield tv. The rg just works for me but I do like the rg351p, but I'll wait a bit to see what it can do .

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SBlaise84 View Post
    How does it feel holding that? Those GPDXDs always catch my eye but it looks a little awkward to hold.
    Pretty comfy as it goes. The second triggers can be a bit of a bugger to reach, but the weight is good and I never feel cramped or anything. I quite like it really.

Nice screen, and I'd give the controls a 7 / 10 for tactility. Thumb sticks feel quite nice too.

I did have a Wikipad 7, that was really nice for the price, but really underpowered. The tab didn't last long and borked out quite quickly but I still have the controller; I just need a good tablet with a charging port on the long edge now so I can attach it...
    Last edited by cleeg; 10-20-2020 at 04:59 PM.

Master of Shinobi

I use my New 3DS XL running CFW, it obviously can't emulate modern systems but it runs pretty much everything from the 3rd and 4th gen. The display is 240p so the older games look good on it.

The one thing I wish it could do is run some of the older DOS games, with the touch screen as a mousepad / keyboard. So far I have not found a satisfactory solution for that.

Quote Originally Posted by cabear View Post
    I'm using an rg350 for most of my retro gaming. I don't play much over ps1 anyways so it works best for me. Other retro gaming is done on a shield tv. The rg just works for me but I do like the rg351p, but I'll wait a bit to see what it can do .
    I have a Shield TV Pro 2019 in my living room that I emulate on; I like it a lot. I get great performance, and it works with all my various Bluetooth controllers. Lately I've been into playing Mame games with my 8bitdo arcade stick.

Quote Originally Posted by cleeg View Post
    Pretty comfy as it goes. The second triggers can be a bit of a bugger to reach, but the weight is good and I never feel cramped or anything. I quite like it really.
    Ok yeah I thought the triggers looked a little hard to use from pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    I use my New 3DS XL running CFW, it obviously can't emulate modern systems but it runs pretty much everything from the 3rd and 4th gen. The display is 240p so the older games look good on it.

The one thing I wish it could do is run some of the older DOS games, with the touch screen as a mousepad / keyboard. So far I have not found a satisfactory solution for that.
    There's no version of Dosbox for the 3DS? The one I use in Android is great, the touchscreen works perfectly as a mouse.

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by SBlaise84 View Post
    There's no version of Dosbox for the 3DS? The one I use in Android is great, the touchscreen works perfectly as a mouse.
    It's been awhile since I tried it... but when I used it awhile back I wasn't impressed. I should probably just use the Android version instead but I like having real buttons and don't carry a controller for my phone.

Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    I should probably just use the Android version instead but I like having real buttons and don't carry a controller for my phone.
    I hear that. The only DOS games I actually play are pretty much mouse driven so a controller is usually not an issue. For other systems I only emulate rpgs on my phone if at all.

Thread Information