Quantcast

Thread: Classic Interview: Tom Kalinske

Sonic Classic Interview: Tom Kalinske

Sega of America President Tom Kalinske did this interesting interview with the Spanish magazine TodoSega at the June '93 CES. In it, he talks about all aspects of Sega's business, including the Sonic 3, the Sega CD, Sega's VR helmet, and the Saturn. Read the full article for all the details.

Most of our new CD titles havenít been revealed because weíre still filming parts for them. One of the most advanced is Jurassic Park, which I told you earlier looks superb.

Thereís another game thatís still untitled but looks really promising. Itís a boxing simulator that presents real video footage of the fighters at the moment they receive a punch. Itís impressive how you can erase an opponentís smile with a solid left hook!

Hooo boy... imagine reading something like that back in 1993! 13-year-old me would've found that absolutely amazing, incredible even! Clearly, this was going the be the future, the most amazing gaming experience yet.

Then "Prize Fighter" actually came out, and was absolutely horrible. It may not be quite the worst game ever to (dis-)grace the SegaCD (I guess this honor goes either to Slam City or Supreme Warrior), but I never felt that I could "erase an opponentís smile with a solid left hook" the way Kalinske puts it. In hindsight it's obvious why these early FMV endeavors died a quick, ignoble death, but back then they honestly believed this to be the way forward.
    Last edited by Phantar; 10-23-2020 at 04:29 AM.
    The funny thing about an oxymoron is, even if you remove the ox, there'll always be a moron. The Question Remains: Y?

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingMaster of Shinobi Gryson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Phantar View Post
    In hindsight it's obvious why these early FMV endeavors died a quick, ignoble death, but back then they honestly believed this to be the way forward.
    Did they really believe it, though? Or was it just about marketability? The concept looks so good on paper, and the magazine screenshots look so amazing that it's a marketing department's wet dream.

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

Hooo boy... imagine reading something like that back in 1993! 13-year-old me would've found that absolutely amazing, incredible even! Clearly, this was going the be the future, the most amazing gaming experience yet.

Then "Prize Fighter" actually came out, and was absolutely horrible. It may not be quite the worst game ever to (dis-)grace the SegaCD (I guess this honor goes either to Slam City or Supreme Warrior), but I never felt that I could "erase an opponentís smile with a solid left hook" the way Kalinske puts it. In hindsight it's obvious why these early FMV endeavors died a quick, ignoble death, but back then they honestly believed this to be the way forward.
    Agreed. On paper games like Prize Fighter sound amazing, but in actuality they're nigh on unplayable. However, as you point out, FMV games were seen as the future at the time.

counter of beans Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Cafeman's Avatar

Thanks for the link. So Saturn might have been BC with Sega CD ... too bad it wasn't.

And to think, so many here made out the Saturn was hidden from SEGA America, those were the days...
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Quote Originally Posted by Gryson View Post
    Did they really believe it, though? Or was it just about marketability? The concept looks so good on paper, and the magazine screenshots look so amazing that it's a marketing department's wet dream.
    Oh there certainly was a huge amount of marketing buzz involved, no doubt about that. Still, they must've believed in it to no small degree, otherwise they wouldn't have been willing to literally pour millions into developing such titles. (A game like Surgical Strike for example had a budget of 2 million US-$, which was huge for 1994 - gaming companies don't invest this kind of money unless they're convinced that they'll make a quick ROI).
    The funny thing about an oxymoron is, even if you remove the ox, there'll always be a moron. The Question Remains: Y?

Oh there certainly was a huge amount of marketing buzz involved, no doubt about that. Still, they must've believed in it to no small degree, otherwise they wouldn't have been willing to literally pour millions into developing such titles. (A game like Surgical Strike for example had a budget of 2 million US-$, which was huge for 1994 - gaming companies don't invest this kind of money unless they're convinced that they'll make a quick ROI).
    Of course, SEGA America believed in FMV. Not only did they spend a fortune on it, they even set up a brand new Multi Media studio to handle such titles too at the cost of $20 million Even after the fad ,SEGA America was still in love with FMV with them spending over $6 million on Sacred Pools only for it to be dropped or making Mr Bones which SEGA America told GameFan (I believe) was their most expensive game ever made
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Thread Information