Quantcast

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dreamcast documentary. Sega Dev interviews

The Future is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingESWAT Veteran Leynos's Avatar

YouTube Dreamcast documentary. Sega Dev interviews

Apologies if posted before and esp if I have before. I don't remember if I did.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

very good documentary shows the devs viewpoint . the sales part wasn't their concern, their goals were to make good games but among those who interviewed only the guy from Crazy Taxi produced a game that worked commercially. Soul Calibur itself had very bad sales despite being a fabulous game and well rated by the critics.

I really like Dreamcast but I feel that it was a step back from everything that SEGA created on Saturn it was basically a mistake for Sega to have tried to imitate the PS1 philosophy and the worst to have tried to compete on equal terms with PS2, the best strategy for SEGA it was to imitate Nintendo with the N64 and focus only on its consumers with no intention of dominating the market, if SEGA had done this in 95, the story would have been different.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

SEGA of America was following what made the Genesis big the the West, sport titles. Sony of America copied that with the PlayStation. The Saturn wasnít marketed that way in the West, so PlayStation became the console for sports gamers.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Thanks for posting, this is really interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    SEGA of America was following what made the Genesis big the the West, sport titles. Sony of America copied that with the PlayStation. The Saturn wasnít marketed that way in the West, so PlayStation became the console for sports gamers.
    Saturn is mainly a Japanese video game, they achieved some success with Genesis but the Mega Drive wasn't doing well in Japan, Saturn came with this objective increasing SEGA's share in the eastern market. Mission was accomplished, SEGA finished second in japan.

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

It makes my heart break to hear the wonderful developers of such amazing and groundbreaking games on the Dreamcast say that they think the console failed because they just didn't make good enough games. No! The Dreamcast is loved and remembered to this day BECAUSE of it's wonderful games, not in spite of them. The console failed largely down to Sega themselves making financial blunder after financial blunder in the years following the Mega Drive's incredible international success. The Dreamcast was Sega's last hurrah, and it had a criminally short lifespan due to mistakes Sega had already made in the years prior, NOT to any software or hardware shortcomings of the Dreamcast itself. The console will always be one of my all time favourites and the games I enjoy on it to this day make up some of my happiest memories in gaming. Skies of Arcadia alone is one of the greatest games on ANY platform ever, let alone being a gem in the Dreamcast's impressive library. Thank you for posting these vids, Leynos. I enjoyed them immensely.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One Centrale's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mega Drive Bowlsey View Post
    It makes my heart break to hear the wonderful developers of such amazing and groundbreaking games on the Dreamcast say that they think the console failed because they just didn't make good enough games. No! The Dreamcast is loved and remembered to this day BECAUSE of it's wonderful games, not in spite of them.
    I feel the same way. These are creative geniuses who designed incredibly original, fun games that have stood the test of time. They shouldn't feel responsible for what went wrong on the business side of things.

Quote Originally Posted by SegaAMD View Post
    Saturn is mainly a Japanese video game, they achieved some success with Genesis but the Mega Drive wasn't doing well in Japan, Saturn came with this objective increasing SEGA's share in the eastern market. Mission was accomplished, SEGA finished second in japan.
    At the expense of losing the Western market in North America and Europe. It was a short sighted plan.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

At the expense of losing the Western market in North America and Europe. It was a short sighted plan.
    Trouble was SEGA Japan left it to Sega America to provide games Americans were meant to like and SEGA America in the 32Bit age didn't have a clue or couldn't even project manage games at a decent level; Most of their 32 Bit 32X or Saturn productions were of substandard quality
    Thankfully Bernie knew he needed a quality dedicated In-House Sports division to sort that issue out and even under Bernie's horrible Saturn reign, he at least provided top-quality sports games in NBA 98, NHL 98 (the best 3D hockey game there is)
    The issue then was it was all focused on American sports and no focus on sports that do well in Europe, with nobody in SEGA America or Japan thinking about making a quality football game for the Dreamcast for the Pal launch. You know football... the biggest sport in the entire world.

More madding when SEGA Japan already had the wonderful World Wide Soccer series under their belts, what the hell happened with SmileBits 90's minutes (which also came way too late) I don't know, even Pro Striker on my Mega Drive provided a better game of football than that crap. Never mind that French Babbon at SEGA Europe was spending millions on sponsoring every top Football club in Europe, but with no top quality to call their own and no EA Fifa to help out either.

It's funny to... You see Sega Europe just do everything right with the Mega Drive, you see Sega America do everything right with the DC, you see SEGA Japan do most things right the Saturn. Only for SEGA Europe and Japan to be utterly useless on DC making cock-up after cock-up. While SEGA America with limited cash and resources were doing wonderful things on the DC and really making a top fight of it.

Still, it might have only been a few years, but the DC was a far better system that the overrated crap, that is the PS2
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Having read various interpretations and reinterpretations of what went on with the Sega Saturn honestly, I believe and I have an argumentative and historical basis for this, that SEGA was the victim of a trap designed by third parties who wanted to get rid of Nintendo
    as Sega was more fragile it ended up succumbing perhaps what they did with Saturn is the biggest plot in the history of the entertainment industry, it involved everything, the media, varegistas, , a greater offer of exclusive temporary games. If we look at each other we will see that a multiplat rarely comes out at the same time on both consoles, on the contrary they arrived at Saturn with an average of 4 months, so it arrived as an old game because people were in new games.

the console market was given to Sony by third parties, namely namco, square, konami, EA, Midway some of them supported Sega Saturn but always in order to pretend an apparent neutrality but they wanted Saturn to sink quickly, Nintendo itself delayed the launch of the N64 so that the PS1 could cannibalize the Saturn market share

Sega itself isn't to blame for anything since its decisions were consequences, responses to the stimuli of the plan. The only mistake wasn't realizing in real time that they had been ambushed,
    was their biggest stupidity IMHO
    Last edited by SegaAMD; 11-07-2020 at 10:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    Still, it might have only been a few years, but the DC was a far better system that the overrated crap, that is the PS2
    keep Calm

https://youtu.be/dVfXbLgEYOo?t=3
    https://youtu.be/bPLiJYMaPbY?t=70
    https://youtu.be/7BfGvmmL6J8?t=9
    https://youtu.be/KZx1dSqjnX0?t=3

I don't want to compare but the dreamcast never generated games superior to these and would not do it even if it continued on the market for longer but I must admit that there are many creative and fun games on Dreamcast.

Iíve never been a fan of Tekken.

The Future is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingESWAT Veteran Leynos's Avatar

Same but Tekken Tag 2 is a great amount a fun.

TA PS2 was not crap. Has an insane library but I will admit. I don't like using that hardware.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

The PS2 hardware has a lot of short comings, but thereís no denying that it has one of the best software libraries available for a single video game console.

Quote Originally Posted by SegaAMD View Post
    keep Calm

I don't want to compare but the dreamcast never generated games superior to these and would not do it even if it continued on the market for longer but I must admit that there are many creative and fun games on Dreamcast.
    I'm quite calm. I've never understood the love for the PS2 myself. I get the love for the PS, just not the PS2. The DC and XBox were such better consoles. The only thing's I really loved about my PS2 was it played host to the best and most underrated football game there was with This Is Football 2003 and then the incredible ICO & God Of War (I never liked the sequel much) DMC (also didn't like the sequel or Par III much)
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Thread Information