Quantcast

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dreamcast documentary. Sega Dev interviews

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by stu View Post
    All the disc based consoles I've bought from new have always worked flawlessly, my original Playstation from 1996, OG Xbox, PS2, Wii and Xbox360 all run like they just came out the box. The some of the second hand systems I've picked up over the years are a different matter tho..lol

The history of those 6th gen systems has been beaten to death over the years, I don't think its really necessary to regurgitate it again.
    it was just to give context, it is worth mentioning that this thread has as its central subject something historical.

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    Yeah, but where else can you play Gradius V, or R-Type final?
    I actually have Gradius V on my PS3 via download, but yeah it's an utter classic on the PS2. I'm not the biggest fan of R Type final mind I still have my PS2 for the odd classic game mind . I'm on my own, but I also really like the Getaway games on my PS2
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

Did people really have so many hardware issues with the Dreamcast? I don't remember that. My Dreamcast is the same one I got brand new back in 2000 and it's worked perfectly ever since for 20yrs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mega Drive Bowlsey View Post
    Did people really have so many hardware issues with the Dreamcast? I don't remember that. My Dreamcast is the same one I got brand new back in 2000 and it's worked perfectly ever since for 20yrs.
    The launch DC hardware in Japan wasn't the best at all. I mean my actual Japanese launch system still works but had issues with it reading and marking discs and also the launch joypad was of shocking quality. I bought a USA model in 2001 and it was so much better build wise and the Drive made less noise too
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Iíve heard that a 3rd party controller can blow out the fuse on the controller board, making all 4 controller ports useless. The internal clock eventually stops working, for some odd reason. The graphics chip flaked out in my Dreamcast.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    Iíve heard that a 3rd party controller can blow out the fuse on the controller board
    Yes that happened with the early launch models, wisely SEGA changed it for latter DC models. The left and right triggers on launch JP pad were of shocking quality too.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    The launch DC hardware in Japan wasn't the best at all. I mean my actual Japanese launch system still works but had issues with it reading and marking discs and also the launch joypad was of shocking quality. I bought a USA model in 2001 and it was so much better build wise and the Drive made less noise too
    Oh OK. My Dreamcast is a PAL model circa 2000. Must have been a much better build than the original Jap models.

The Future is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingESWAT Veteran Leynos's Avatar

I just found out none of my PS1's work nor my PS2 just all the sudden. Can't replace them as it's too expensive. PS2's going for stupid money untested units. So I may as well toss out the PS2 collection and my PS1 imports. Not a lot of good they do me now.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    Sounds like you experienced the two drive manufacturers. Yamaha and Samsung both made drives for DC, and it was mostly luck of the draw which one you got for all generations. Supposedly the Yamaha ones are better and quieter. That said my launch DC with the Samsung drive still works great and loud as ever.

I just found out none of my PS1's work nor my PS2 just all the sudden. Can't replace them as it's too expensive. PS2's going for stupid money untested units. So I may as well toss out the PS2 collection and my PS1 imports. Not a lot of good they do me now.
    Orrrrrrrrr you can give them to me.

How did all your Playstations break simultaneously.

I have no idea. My luck I guess. Tho I think I figured out I can maybe fix the PS2. It reads discs with a Gamecube on top of it. So going to take it apart and see if I can fix it. Never tried but what can it hurt. My PSone disc drive makes a buzzing noise and won't spin. PS1 I got at a thrift store ages ago and never used it til now becuse I used my PS3,PS2 or PS1 to play PS1 games but I want to play imports. Boy I wish the Polymega was real and was shipping this week as they promised despite Walmart charging me...ugh anyway. If I clean the PS2 maybe will work again. I can play US PS1 games on it and PS3. Japanese PS1 games tho, not sure what to do without buying hardware. PS2 slim even with the Gamecube on top will not read the Gameshark disc. Dunno if shitty PS2 or it can't read those. Why was Region locking ever a thing?

HA! I fixed the PS2. Easy to take apart. Cleaned it inside. Tightened some screws on the inside and it's humming like normal again! Dunno about the PSOne but PS3 and PS2 play PS1 games anyway. Still ondering a Japanese PS1 to play imports. Will have to figure some money around but might be worth it to play some imports. It was for Saturn.

Thread Information