Quantcast

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Sonic 3 + Michael Jackson?!

Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar

He knew Moonwalker and Sonic 1 & 2 so he must have known what to expect.

There was an interesting interview here at Sega-16 where someone loosely involved with Sonic 3 mentioned something in regards to what was done to the soundtrack at the last minute... gotta dig it up when time permits.
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Then we set about developing killer games.

- Hayao Nakayama, Mega Drive Collected Works (p. 17)

Still not afraid of Y2K Shining Hero Rusty Venture's Avatar

I honestly don't understand why everyone wants/cares so much about MJ and Sonic 3.

I understand MJ, what I don't understand is the fervor in linking the two together. Its not like Sonic 3 needs MJ to justify its existence, its one of the best Sonic games ever. If MJ's ghost magically appears on "Good Morning America" and tells the world he had nothing to do with the game, it not going to change my love for the game one bit.

If this was MJ circa "Bad" I could see caring more, but this was 1992/1993 MJ...when his career had peaked and he was transitioning towards catering to established fans.

Join the USA/NZ strike force team!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantar View Post
    a swedish android, awakened by the touch of Raśl Julia...

Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar

Personally I did not care all too much up until now. But thanks to that video it is indeed an irrefutable fact Michael Jackson was involved at one point. Now, we do know so much about how Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 came to be, and so little in regards to Sonic 3 (other than that it was meant to be Sonic 3 & Knuckles from the very beginning and split up in early 1994 due to pressure from Sega of America), and I always find it interesting to know more about the things I enjoy.
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Then we set about developing killer games.

- Hayao Nakayama, Mega Drive Collected Works (p. 17)

Japanese Sonic CD FTW!!! Master of Shinobi Ecco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Venture View Post
    I honestly don't understand why everyone wants/cares so much about MJ and Sonic 3.

I understand MJ, what I don't understand is the fervor in linking the two together. Its not like Sonic 3 needs MJ to justify its existence, its one of the best Sonic games ever. If MJ's ghost magically appears on "Good Morning America" and tells the world he had nothing to do with the game, it not going to change my love for the game one bit.

If this was MJ circa "Bad" I could see caring more, but this was 1992/1993 MJ...when his career had peaked and he was transitioning towards catering to established fans.
    I don't know, maybe it depends how you view the two things: Sonic 3 & also MJ. They're both so controversial all by themselves. So linking them creates more controversy.

Sonic 3 is best to some, but worst to others. (I tend to dislike the new directions it took.) I was never much of a fan of MJ but I think his peak was way before the 90's lol. Plus the obvious child molestation charges at that point, would theoretically explain WHY he'd get dropped last minute.

Also if you dislike the new directions that Sonic 3 took, and if you believe MJ was involved, then he can be blamed a bit for things like new music style etc. lol

(BTW the ending song of Sonic 3 sounds so much like Stranger in Moscow, that it was what originally convinced me of his involvement.)

The part I really can't believe is that no one tried to ask MJ much about this before his death??? That seems to be the real shame of the issue...

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ecco View Post
    I don't know, maybe it depends how you view the two things: Sonic 3 & also MJ. They're both so controversial all by themselves. So linking them creates more controversy.
    "Controversy" was Prince, not MJ.

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces.

Japanese Sonic CD FTW!!! Master of Shinobi Ecco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    "Controversy" was Prince, not MJ.
    Ha thanks. You made me learn the name of an album of an artist I never liked lol.

He and Michael seem so similar, both very womanly black rockstars. Honestly I never got the appeal of either of them. I always figured I just missed the right time period bc I was born too late or whatever. But WTF were people thinking?! lol

I remain nonsequitur Shining Hero sheath's Avatar

The funniest thing about Prince is that he tries to look manly, especially in his movie.
    "... If Sony reduced the price of the Playstation, Sega would have to follow suit in order to stay competitive, but Saturn's high manufacturing cost would then translate into huge losses for the company." p170 Revolutionaries at Sony.

"We ... put Sega out of the hardware business ..." Peter Dille senior vice president of marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment

I'd imagine Michael Jackson had some involvement with the music composition, even if it was just humming and beatboxing into a tape recorder, supposedly his typical method of writing songs. He wrote and produced Do The Bartman and went uncredited due to being under contract to a record label. The same deal probably would have applied if he'd been involved in something like Sonic 2. Sony would have been looking for a million bucks from Sega and they would have figured it wasn't worth it. He was super geeky about videogames and cartoons so it's quite likely he was prepared to do it for free or on the DL.

Thread Information