Quantcast

Thread: Black Onyx, The

SG-1000 Black Onyx, The

Largely unknown to Western games, The Black Onyx is something of a legend in Japan and laid the foundation for many console and computer RPGs to come. It's quite barebones now, but it's remarkable that the SG-1000 even got the game, considering it was released well into the Famicom era. Read our full review for more details.
    Last edited by Melf; 11-06-2020 at 08:52 PM.

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

Good review. I played through this a while ago (using the ColecoVision conversion) and found it to be a pretty humdrum experience, with nothing really memorable or exciting to offer. It's possible to have a no-frills dungeon crawler that's actually fun, but this wasn't it.

Still interesting from a historical perspective, but that's basically all.

I've seen Screenshots from earlier computer versions of the game that at least have better graphics, but even they seemed to have the same miniscule gameplay and limited scope. Aside from equipment showing on the characters and the irregular shape of the dungeons, this game really doesn't offer anything that other dungeon crawlers hadn't already done better before.

I'm kind of curious about the full story behind that game. The Edge interview that I've mentioned has Henk Rogers claiming that the game was pretty much the earliest RPG success story in Japan, which would insinuate that the gaming public there simply didn't know any better, since they had nothing to compare it to. However, I once read an article on Hardcoregaming101 (can't seem to find a link to it right now) that calls these statements into question, since a) there apparently were indeed a few other Rpgs made in Japan roughly around the same time, and b) the sales numbers seem to come only from the mouth of Henk Rogers himself and can't really be confirmed otherwise. It must have had some fans at any rate though, otherwise I couldn't think of any reason why anyone would decide to still port the game to a console platform that long after its original release (relatively speaking, if course).
    The funny thing about an oxymoron is, even if you remove the ox, there'll always be a moron. The Question Remains: Y?

Thread Information