Quantcast

Thread: How to build Arcade Control Panel/Joystick for a Sega Genesis

arcade How to build Arcade Control Panel/Joystick for a Sega Genesis

Hi Guys,

I'm looking for a hobby project and I've been thinking about putting a Genesis into an Arcade Cabinet.

My first thought is to wire a micro switch joystick and arcade buttons so that they can plug into a Genesis gamepad port.

I want to have the electronics working before I worry about an actual wood cabinet.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

It looks like I'll need an interface for the joystick/control panel. Something like this:

Joystick Interface
    https://monsterjoysticks.com/mega-dr...tick-interface

Is this a good product? Are there alternatives that ship from Canada or the US?

What do you guys like to use for buttons and joysticks?

For Genesis do I need a 4-way or 8-way joystick? I'm thinking 8-way is a must.

Here's what I think I want.

Sanwa or Seimitsu brand names.

30mm convex screw-in buttons. *Would be cool if the buttons allowed for an image/graphic to be placed inside.

A joystick something like this:
    sanwa-jlw-tm-8 /w Bat Top
    https://retroactivearcade.ca/collect...sanwa-jlw-tm-8

I'm new to this so let me know your thoughts.

Thank you!
    Sega Dude

Visit my Instagram @RetroMegabit or RetroMegabit.com

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

If I was doing it it I would probably just take a 6 button pad and hack it up, mainly since I have a lot of those around and I'd know for sure what's going into it. My one concern with the adapter you linked is that it looks like it's only equipped to handle 3-button instead of 6-button games based on the kits. Another option would be taking apart an Arcade Power Stick, I'm not sure how they're wired though.

Also yes, I'd go for an 8-way joystick myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

Master of Shinobi

You can either print your own PCB (google around for schematics) or hack up an existing 6-button controller and connect it to individual buttons.

I have a bunch of buttons lying around which I don't use, I wanted to pimp up my Saturn virtua stick but that ultimately went nowhere. I can sell those for you if you want. It's a Seimitsu LS-56-01-VF stick with blue ball and both round (octagonal) and 4-way gates, and almost a dozen PS-15s of various colours (2 green, 3 pink, 1 black, and one each with black rim and blue/green/red/yellow/ash).

I'm actually just going to start with 3-buttons. I don't play any Genesis games that need the 6 button controller.

I don't love the idea of sacrificing a joystick for this little project (mostly because of my inexperience with this kind of stuff).

@zyrobs Thanks for the offer on the parts. But I've already ordered most of what I think I'll need.
    Sega Dude

Visit my Instagram @RetroMegabit or RetroMegabit.com

Thread Information