Quantcast

Thread: Arcade Details - Sega Retro or System 16 ?

Wildside Expert

Default Arcade Details - Sega Retro or System 16 ?

Iím currently putting all Sega arcade games onto Launchbox but then breaking them down into arcade boards (I am also adding games that are not dumped or available for reference purposes).

I have been using both Sega Retro and System 16 as reference sources but occasionally they contradict each other with regards to what arcade board a game was released on. For example Fortress is a discrete logic game on Sega Retro but a VIC dual game on System 16.

Any idea when games do contradict which site is likely to be have the information correct ?

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Sut View Post
    Iím currently putting all Sega arcade games onto Launchbox but then breaking them down into arcade boards (I am also adding games that are not dumped or available for reference purposes).

I have been using both Sega Retro and System 16 as reference sources but occasionally they contradict each other with regards to what arcade board a game was released on. For example Fortress is a discrete logic game on Sega Retro but a VIC dual game on System 16.

Any idea when games do contradict which site is likely to be have the information correct ?
    System 16 is usually correct. The issue with Fortress is that it hasn't been dumped so we can't just look at the MAME driver to see what it's using. But see this video, the guy mentions there's a Z80 on the board.

Wildside Expert

Thanks for the video, makes me wonder if itís a bit of an hybrid of discrete logic and microprocessor as the graphics look fairly static.

Hero of Algol

Sega Retro is usually bad, with a lot of made up bs. Avoid it for hardware info.

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Sut View Post
    Thanks for the video, makes me wonder if itís a bit of an hybrid of discrete logic and microprocessor as the graphics look fairly static.
    I'm sure it does but once there's a CPU it shouldn't be described as a discrete logic game. The graphics are indeed primitive and that probably explains the confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    Sega Retro is usually bad, with a lot of made up bs. Avoid it for hardware info.
    I never want to say anything bad because people have worked very hard on that site but sometimes I'll follow a link there and think "that can't possibly be right, where did they come up with this?"

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    That's putting it mildly.

Thread Information