Quantcast

Thread: Is my Phelios Sega Genesis box art legit?

Default Is my Phelios Sega Genesis box art legit?

Hi. Recently purchased Phelios CIB from a ‘professional’ re seller on eBay. When I received it I couldn’t help but remove the case art, just to check it was real. I don’t usually bother if it looks/feels legit.

Now, in my experience all Sega Genesis/ MegaDrive box art is printed on a lightweight glossy paper, not too thick or shiny but quite distinctive- you know when it feels like the real deal right?

Well this one is printed on thicker, yet still glossy paper (But feels more like 100 gsm I think).
    Feels more like card stock and has some fading along the bottom edge that I haven’t really seen before either. Can anyone confirm that alternative printer paper was used by Sega (or Namco?) in any other games out there?

The box feels good, slightly thicker than early Sega titles such as Last Battle, but not as thick as EA. It almost reminds me of a newer ‘blue/red label’ box. Shiny and very crisp looking. Since I never owned an original I’m unsure of the exact case style that it ships with. Paper smells musty and has some fading but this cover art could of been printed a long time ago, who knows.

I will upload some pics and hopefully someone may be able to help.

Thanks

Note: the cart is legit, I opened it. Manual is too. Also the double creases on the folds to me show potential case swapping but I’m just not sure.
    Last edited by glitchyghost; 11-24-2020 at 06:04 AM.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One Centrale's Avatar

I checked my copy of Phelios, and it does indeed have a thicker stock than usual for the cover. The wear on the bottom edge of yours looks like maybe it was mis-aligned in the case for a while and got worn.

Thanks. That’s good to know.

Road Rasher

I'd say that the wear along the bottom is the best indicator of legitimate box art. Fake box art is usually too perfect - I doubt anyone would have a reason to sell fake box art with that much wear. While I don't own Phelios, I checked my only Namco game (Splatterhouse 3) and the box art is noticeably thicker than most Genesis art.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner

I remember being curious about this when I acquired a copy of Burning Force years ago. I completely forgot about this until now and never actually looked into it. Considering it is also a Namco game, it appears it might be legit.

Yes, I checked mine too and the paper is thicker than other games.

I checked my Phelios and it's also a much thicker paper. Like you say, more like card stock.

I bought my Phelios used for $10 or $20 in the early 2000's when that's what they were worth.

It does sound like yours is authentic.
    Sega Dude

Visit my Instagram @RetroMegabit or RetroMegabit.com

Thanks again guys, great responses. I am definitely keeping it, forgot how awesome it is. Cheers!

It really is a great game! One of my favorites on the Genesis.
    Sega Dude

Visit my Instagram @RetroMegabit or RetroMegabit.com

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One

Just to add to the chorus, my copy of Phelios is like that, too. I checked my copy of Quad Challenge, and it also has the thicker stock, so I'm thinking that was just a Namco thing at the time. I've got to say, 30 years down the road, I don't mind the more durable paper.

I'm really glad I bought all my games in the 80s and 90s so I don't have to worry about repros.

Thread Information