Thread: A Saudi Prince bought SNK.

The Future is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingESWAT Veteran Leynos's Avatar

Neogeo A Saudi Prince bought SNK.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Leynos View Post
    RIP SNK..again.
    I don't understand. How does a Saudi oil billionaire who is into video games buying SNK equal their demise?

Master of Shinobi

Can't wait for the next KOF, imagine Mai Shiranui in a burka lol

Edit: Kidding of course, I know the Saudis use niqabs not burkas. But if this guy has any influence on the creative side I expect the female characters to be eliminated or at least separated from the rest of the roster, no more male vs female fights
    Last edited by axel; 11-26-2020 at 03:02 PM.

Lord of the Obscure Wildside Expert LordGeo's Avatar

It was quickly clarified that the Saudi Prince (technically the electronics company he's the majority owner of, but same difference) only purchased 33.3% of SNK's shares, making him the "majority shareholder". In other words, he has the most shares owned by a single person/entity, but that doesn't mean that he has any real control over SNK. If, say, he demanded that Mai's fanservice be toned down, I'd imagine the people who own the remaining 66.6% of SNK's shares would answer with "Screw you, that's how we make money from the character," but it's still a wild & crazy thing to happen, regardless.

As it is right now, though, the only thing I see happening soon is KOF XV including a Saudi Team, but that was probably already going to happen, if XIV's DLC character Nadj (which came from a contest done solely for the Saudi people) is brought back.

So they updated it. Still, I am not into the idea the guy who bought the shares assassinated that journalist then dismembered him.

So they updated it. Still, I am not into the idea the guy who bought the shares assassinated that journalist then dismembered him.
    If I were SNK, I'd revise their character roster immediately.

Well it took a day. he now basically owns it https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...t-stake-in-snk

Lord of the Obscure Wildside Expert LordGeo's Avatar

Yeah, this sucks. While it hasn't happened just yet, SNK's re-death is on the verge of happening, and that's just depressing.

Master of Shinobi

That article makes it sound even worse. I can imagine him calling the SNK execs into a meeting and going down the roster of characters, like "So... tell me about this one. A woman named King?"

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Well it took a day. he now basically owns it https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...t-stake-in-snk
    It's not a surprise. I thought that I'd read that he was going to purchase a majority share soon.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    That article makes it sound even worse. I can imagine him calling the SNK execs into a meeting and going down the roster of characters, like "So... tell me about this one. A woman named King?"
    It's more like. Who feels like keeping their head today?
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Master of Shinobi

It's not like they were releasing an overwhelming amount of memorable games lately.

There's a new Metal Slug in development which looks really promising though, seems like they are remaking the original trilogy with 3d graphics while keeping the same gameplay but adding new weapons, like an ice gun which allows you to walk on the frozen water. Hopefully it won't be another mobile piece of shit, but a proper new entry.

Quote Originally Posted by zyrobs View Post
    It's not like they were releasing an overwhelming amount of memorable games lately.

There's a new Metal Slug in development which looks really promising though, seems like they are remaking the original trilogy with 3d graphics while keeping the same gameplay but adding new weapons, like an ice gun which allows you to walk on the frozen water. Hopefully it won't be another mobile piece of shit, but a proper new entry.
    KOF14 was great. So was the recent Samurai Shodown. They contributed to terry in Smash. They been working with LRG for those cool releases. They just put out that arcade cab. Re-releasing Neo Geo Pocket Color games which I have been thankful for. I think SNK Heriones wasn't that bad. Kinda fun even tho stupid. The 40th collection is a nice take back pre, Neo Geo. They have probably re-released every major Neo Geo game on digital Stores. Not like they have not been doing anything last few years. Tho I guess you can leave the mini out the back. That thing sucks.

Thread Information