Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Resources for classic consoles on modern TVs

Default Resources for classic consoles on modern TVs

I recently got a brand new Samsung TV that only has HDMI inputs. Of course my older systems such as PS2 and even Wii don't have HDMI connections. How are people connecting their older consoles to new TVs?

I tried a Hyperkin PS1/PS2 cable but apparently it is not compatible with new Samsung 4K TVs, according to Hyperkin, and doesn't work. PS1 through the cable looked great on my friend's HDTV though.

I would imagine the ideal solution would be some kind of RGB to HDMI device with low latency, and a European RGB cable for the systems themselves. Are there any resources for this purpose?

I also have a functional CRT, but it'd be great to have pixel-perfect display on the new giant TV.

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

I'm having my DC and X Box HDMI modded, but for the rest I use an OSSC and RGB or component cables, it's such a good device and gives you options to use a border for Sinden light guns etc. It's a must have.

Also, I used to use the XRGB mini (it's for sale in the bazaar if you're interested), which is very good bar three caveats: 480p through it doesn't look too great, Sonic 2's vs mode uses a resolution the unit can't process, and the real killer is when it switches resolution it drops out to black, so Saturn / PS1 can be a pain on there. I'd recommend it for consoles that stick to one resolution for the most part, it's a great device once you know its quirks.

Otherwise, RAD2X cables are getting good reviews and are a bit more plug and play in nature.

Check out Retro RGB, it's the site for this topic, has a lot about the OSSC etc and tons of good links.

TLDR: OSSC all the way, with cables from Retro Gaming Cables (UK). Hope this helps.

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/

https://www.retrorgb.com/
    Last edited by cleeg; 11-27-2020 at 02:49 AM.

I have a Framemeister for most of my retro stuff, but also have a component VGA to HDMI PRO Box, for my VHS Video and Dreamcast via VGA
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

How does that thing handle 240p?

Have a look at a Retrotink

https://stoneagegamer.com/retrotink/

The Best Genesis Master of Shinobi GohanX's Avatar

There are many options to do this, depending on your budget and if you just want it to work or if you want it to look really good. If you want something simple but good, look at the Retrotink line. They are line doublers, so they won't actually scale the image to your TV, but with a lot of TVs that's good enough. My set does a good job of upscaling 480p content so it works pretty well. There are different models that have different types of inputs, and the higher end ones allow a scanline option.

The OSSC is a bit more expensive and more advanced. It can take a little tinkering but the image from 240p sources is outstanding, and if you take the time to understand the advanced settings you can make it even better. Or cheat and just look up FirebrandX's profiles. The only real fault is that it only takes RGB, component, and VGA inputs so no composite or svideo connections. Also some OSSC/TV combinations don't like certain systems due to the sync rates, such as SNES. Works fine on my set though.

The Framemeister is a relatively high end option but these days I'd get an OSSC or a Retrotink pro over the FM. The FM has the best compatibility and options, and the largest variety of potential inputs. However, it's only really good with RGB inputs, the other connections leave something to be desired. But the main reason I don't like using it is that buffer it has allows it to work with pretty much any HDMI TV, but causes a touch of lag that the other options don't have. If your TV/monitor is low lag you probably won't notice it as it's only like 16 ms, but on my TV it's pretty noticeable in a game like Sonic or SMB.

I didn't mention anything cheap because they are largely garbage. There are individual cables of varying quality, the best probably being the Rad2x which is basically a Retrotink in a cable, but if you need more than one old system you might as well just get the Retrotink instead of buying multiple cables.

I really don't like any of these options for 480i videogame content though. They'll work but none of the videogame scalers do great with 480i content, the Framemeister being the best at it. I have an iScan Duo video processor that's amazing for 480i stuff, but that's diving way into the deep end and otherwise it's pretty terrible for video games. I only have it because I used to use it for laserdisc.
    Quote Originally Posted by CMA Death Adder
    Recently I sold the majority of my 32X games for a measly 18 bucks. With it, I bought some tacos. Definitely a more pleasing choice.

Quote Originally Posted by cleeg View Post
    How does that thing handle 240p?
    The Framemeister is just something else tbh and almost like using a CRT TV All the old consoles look stunning through HDMI. I just would have liked for it to have VGA support
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    The Framemeister is just something else tbh and almost like using a CRT TV All the old consoles look stunning through HDMI. I just would have liked for it to have VGA support
    No, I meant that VGA pro box .

Framemeister is out of print is it not? I can't even fathom the secondary market on those.

Quote Originally Posted by cleeg View Post
    No, I meant that VGA pro box .
    Well for 30 one can't expect too much, but it does the job and a very decent at scaling up my VGA DC and also VHS RCA singles up to 720P. Very handy for VHS videos as the bloody Framemeister drops out a lot with the poor VHS single LOL.
    TBH Mind I've just bought an Link For Dreamcast to HDMI AdapterHDMI converter for the DC, on an Amazon Prime deal. So looking forward to what that will look like
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

My setup is simple but also complex and takes up quite a bit of space, but gives me a massive amount of freedom on connections. I use an older Extron 7SC AV selector. It can take inputs from composite to component and RGBs, RGBHV (VGA). From there it internally upscales and outputs all inputs as a VGA output signal. I can setup the amount of upscaling from 640x480 to 1080P but I find it works and looks best using a locked 640x480P 60Hz output from it. That in turn goes into the VGA input on my OSSC and then to my AV receiver and finally to the TV.

But the Extron devices have their own caveats you have to work with. Examples are that most of them use BNC connectors instead of standard RCA but you can get adapters cheap to take care of that (What I do). The audio inputs and outputs on most Extron selectors use Phoenix connectors and so you have to manually wire in the audio inputs and outputs. Because the 7SC I use has the Phoenix connectors so close to the lower input BNC jacks I wasn't able to use the DB electronics adapters and had to wire in RCA jacks manually but not too big a deal. But the ability to use composite, s-video, component, RGB, and VGA on any of the inputs and have a universal VGA output makes it easy to work with in this case and while I'm sure there is some lag present in this mix I'm using, it isn't enough for me to notice and it is much much better compared to the cheap composite/s-video to HDMI converter I was using previously in regards to lag.

Another thing to keep in mind is that Extron devices were meant for commercial use and so they are large devices and very industrial looking with most of them designed for rack mounting.

So my entire setup of retro stuff is primarily connected to the Extron, my PS2, Wii, and SMS go into the Extron with my Saturn, Jaguar, and SNES using RGB through a SCART selector into the SCART input of the OSSC and then finally, my Genesis/32x/SegaCD combo uses a set of HDRetrovision cables directly into the component input on the OSSC by itself.

So again, it takes up quite a bit of space, but with the exception of the OSSC the rest of the stuff being used was pretty inexpensive. I only paid about $40 shipped for my Extron 7SC and about a $1 each for the BNC to RCA adapters.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'm going to pick one, see how it works, and report back. OSSC looks good.

OSSC all the way is my recommendation, good luck, hope you get it sorted.

Sorry if this is obvious, but if I wanted to use the OSSC with something like a 3DO, that doesn't have RGB out, I need this?

The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    Have a look at a Retrotink

https://stoneagegamer.com/retrotink/
    I bought a Retrotink about a month ago, and it has been perfect. It supports 240 and 480. It converts composite, s-video and component to HDMI. Mine is the 2x-Pro Multifotmat, I believe, but there are other models. Definitely one of the better gaming purchases I've made.

https://www.retrotink.com/

Edit:
    The regular Retrotink Pro is fine for most consoles, but I wanted one that could handle more modern consoles that display in 480p better (ps2, xbox, etc). I think the regular Retrotink Pro cannot do this properly.

"The RetroTINK-2X Pro Multiformat (RT2X-M) is a new product in the 2X line that supports passing thru 480p content for the newer consoles that are capable of progressive scan component output. At the same time, the 2X-M is capable of zero-lag line doubling of 240p/288p/480i/576i content like the rest of the 2X family."
    Last edited by profholt82; 04-10-2021 at 10:56 AM.

Thread Information