Quantcast

Thread: Sega Lord X Reviews Robocop vs. The Terminator

Genesis Sega Lord X Reviews Robocop vs. The Terminator

I'd consider this game a guilty pleasure. It's slow and a little formulaic with very basic level design, but it's still a lot of fun.

Yeah, I liked this game, and I agree with a lot of what SegaLordX covered. It's very much a Genesis game of its time. It has that look, feel, and sound, which I like to revisit. That being said, I don't really like the climbing and hanging speeds, as they are jarring, and I think it makes the pacing feel really disjointed. I wouldn't have minded a more slow, methodical approach to the gameplay.

It seems like there are a lot of "cheap" hits, but I think that was part of the design. It's not designed as a game that the player should be able to cruise through without taking damage. I think this makes sense, as part of RoboCop's power is his resilience, and that is communicated in the game play. I would have liked a more tank-like approach to the game. A sort of slow moving contra/metal slug. But I'm still happy with the game overall.

Master of Shinobi

This has always been a game that I wanted to like more than I actually did. It's okay I guess, but I really don't like a couple of things that the review mentions: cheap hits/deaths, and how you can end up pretty much boned if you don't have the right gun. The basic gun is farcically weak against bosses IIRC.

i agree Silanda, i wanted to love it but for me, it's too cheap. good game but just good.

The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar

Hard game, but very good. The final boss fight is a bullet sponge, it's ridiculous. I played through it last spring and did a little write up about it in the "Winner is You" thread:

A buddy of mine picked this one up recently and was talking to me about it. I've had a copy for at least a decade and probably hadn't played it in about half that time, so I decided to fire it up. It took me a couple of tries, and when I finally made it to the boss in the Skynet level, I ended up burning through all of my continues and almost all of my lives before I finally beat the giant Terminator head. Holy crap, does that thing take a ton of damage. That was about a 15-20 minute boss fight. Sheesh. Fortunately, he drops weapons and powerups throughout the fight, and as you rack up so many points blasting away, you'll occasionally earn a bonus life.

Throughout the first 9 levels, there are numerous health and one ups to be found which makes the game manageable in spite of the difficulty. I mean, there is a steady barrage of bullets and projectiles coming your way throughout the game, it is tough. I learned that if I had a good weapon to swap it out when I was about to die so that I didn't lose it. You can swap weapons with A. And when you respawn, you're invincible for several seconds, so that's a good time to just go through a difficult spot as quickly as possible. So there's a couple of tips which can hopefully help someone on their next playthough.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner Stifu's Avatar

Nice video. In case anyone missed it, Barone released a hack to remove the top black border from the game: https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3727/

Quote Originally Posted by Stifu View Post
    Nice video. In case anyone missed it, Barone released a hack to remove the top black border from the game: https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3727/
    Nice, thanks. I need to find a Linux rom patcher.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner Stifu's Avatar

There are a few on RHDN (see also "Indep" OS): https://www.romhacking.net/?page=uti...&utilsearch=Go

Hero of Algol

I think it's one of those games where the difficulty was ramped up due to the whole rental bs that plagued many games released in the US at the time.
    The Terminator on the Sega CD has better pacing and less issues with cheapo difficulty increase unlike we see here with blind hits and bullet sponge bosses.
    Level design is also cheaper here.

Technically speaking, its sprite/animation system is based on the David Perry's engine, so it's pretty advanced and push it beyond of what you'd see in a SNES game.
    The sound effects have some very good use of the PSG which isn't common among western-developed titles.
    Last edited by Barone; 12-05-2020 at 07:40 PM.

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

Love this game! Like I said in the comments section of the vid, I got it for my 11th birthday back in '94 and loved the gory shoot-'em-up action! It's a very playable tribute to both franchises.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker

SLX is really fast at putting these videos out. Good on him.

I think arguably this version of Robocop Vs Terminator is superior to the Snes version. It's certainly from what I've played so far the best Robocop game. I need to play it again.

Thread Information