Quantcast

Thread: Any advice about selling my entire collection of mostly SEGA-console games?

Pengo Any advice about selling my entire collection of mostly SEGA-console games?

I have a family emergency and really need to raise some money to help my family member, but the only thing of value I have is my game collection. I have pretty much every good game for all of SEGA's consoles as well as some others. I'm in Europe, so they're mostly PAL releases, but I also have a lot of JP and some USA games, especially Saturn where I have more JP imports than PAL games.

I bought most of my games new 10-30 years ago and looking at the prices on pricecharting.com, they've soared in value since then. I'm almost done inputting my games onto that site:

https://www.pricecharting.com/offers...ndition-id=all

(Note that I have the PAL version of Snatcher, for some reason only the US version is listed, same goes for most of the 32X games which are missing PAL listings. Kolibri is the only US 32X game I have)

According to that site, my games are worth more than 26,000.

How realistic is it that I could sell the whole collection in a few lots without needing to list each game individually on ebay and waiting months for them to sell?

I live on an island, where shipping costs are high, so I'd rather ship out boxes of 50-100 games with an express courier like Fedex or DHL to avoid the fuss of shipping out 600-700 games one by one and then face the problems with covid shipping delays that are occuring with post offices. Brexit is also looming, which might make selling to UK people harder because they'll have to pay customs tax once they leave the EU at the end of the month, and the UK is the biggest market for SEGA games in Europe.

I was planning to list them on here in per-console/region lots - so every JP Saturn game in one lot, and every PAL Dreamcast game in another lot, etc, and price them 10% - 15% lower than their ebay value. But looking at the recent threads, it looks like they all failed to sell and the users were forced to resort to ebay. And those were just single games, not huge lots filled with rare games. Are there other retro forums that are more active? Thanks in advance for any advice you have.

Generally it's best to sell with prices slightly below pricecharting/Ebay prices. I sold off a ton of my stuff that way but sadly it was more of the lower priced goods since the bigger ticket items hardly got touched.
    05/05/15

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One Centrale's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by eeplox View Post
    How realistic is it that I could sell the whole collection in a few lots without needing to list each game individually on ebay and waiting months for them to sell?

Are there other retro forums that are more active? Thanks in advance for any advice you have.
    It's not impossible, but it's not likely that you'll be able to sell it all in huge lots like those. There just aren't that many people with that much cash on hand, and the ones who do have it would likely already have many of the titles that you select for your lots. It took a significant amount of time for you to build your collection, and you can realistically expect that it will take a significant amount of time to sell it if you want to get the most value out of it. It's also a difficult time of year because many people have maxed out their spending on holiday gifts.

Regarding other forums to visit, I would suggest checking out the AtariAge forums as they're among the most active that I've found (and when it comes to buying and selling, there are people interested in everything, not just Atari).

Good luck, and best wishes for your family member!

I guess I should try listing them in huge lots, with a 10% cheaper price than normal first and then break them up into smaller bundles if it doesn't work.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One nitelich's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by eeplox View Post
    I bought most of my games new 10-30 years ago...
    I take it you don't have any newer homebrew games, then? I know pricecharting doesn't always list them.

Asking just in case I'm wrong, and you do have some newer homebrew games to sell.
    Managed memory, in my VDP? It's more likely than you think.
    Expand your ROM size with this one weird pointer dereference (Fonzie hates them).

Keeping the list of new physically released homebrew games up to date! ...And looking to buy a few I've missed.

I've got most of the Dreamcast ones, Pier Solar, FX Unit Yuki and Beggar Prince. I'm only going to sell them in big lots though.

Super Sexy Sega Master of Shinobi cowboyscowboys's Avatar

People buying big lots are generally looking to pay 50-60% of the value because they will keep what they need and sell off everything else. Obviously time is money and piecing things out take way more time for a multitude of reasons.

I would sell your big ticket items individually about 10-20% lower then going rate on forums where your not being raped by selling fees. On ebay you have a worldwide market and seeling fees so it's more understandable to price your items as a premium. Additionally, if you need to move them quick you might really have to suck it up and sell even lower at 20-30% undervalue.

If time isn't an issue then you can just sit and wait for someone to pay a premium. The harsh reality of what somethinig is worth and what something will sell for becomes very apparent when you need to unload anything of value quickly that isn't extremely luquid.
    Last edited by cowboyscowboys; 12-09-2020 at 12:04 AM.
    Beat Em Up- Streets of Rage 2
    Platformer- Sonic 3 and Knuckles
    Run and Gun- Gunstar Heroes
    Adventure- Story of Thor
    Action- Shinobi 3

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Spendle's Avatar

Posting in here so as to leave your other thread clean.

It's a tricky one trying to sell en masse - you're looking for that person who wants to get their hands on everything instantly AND has the cash to do so. I'm not so sure how many of those people exist. I've been watching a complete PAL MD collection on eBay for a few months and it hasn't sold, the seller has reduced the asking price by 50% over that time but wealthy collectors/buyers haven't emerged from the woodwork.

A lot of collectors tend to build their collections in piecemeal form. Depending on the speediness you require, the time and effort of splitting things up into smaller lots may actually result in you selling everything more quickly and raise more money in the process.

If you do split up some PAL MD games then please let me know - my burning wish is The Punisher if you have that!

Either way, good luck with the sale and I hope you raise what you need to from this - it makes me sad you've been forced to sell something I imagine you invested a lot of time, effort and care into accumulating, but it sounds like a noble reason behind it.

I have a lot of PAL MD games, but I don't think I have The Punisher.

I'm selling to pay for someone's surgery.

EDIT:

Just found that ebay listing you mentioned, it says: EUR 20,000.00 + EUR 55,000.00 postage, even though I'm in the EU same as them. It's not surprising it's not selling.

Hoping I'll have better luck than others who have tried to sell in big lots.
    Last edited by eeplox; 12-10-2020 at 07:27 AM.

Nameless One

Hi mate, did you end up listing these anywhere?
    Looking for a PAL disc only of Mega CD Marko's Magic Football if you want to sell me one.

Quote Originally Posted by sashadarko View Post
    Hey, moustache fuck, if you still read this very thread. You're ARE speedy speedy Sonic, right?.

Quote Originally Posted by shifted View Post
    Hi mate, did you end up listing these anywhere?
    Yeah, someone from here bought them all. Going to list my Mega Drive games soon.

Thread Information