Quantcast

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Toshihiro Nagoshi of Sega says that Nintendo's consoles do better with kids & teens.

Master of Shinobi

Default Toshihiro Nagoshi of Sega says that Nintendo's consoles do better with kids & teens.

Or maybe it was the translator who got it wrong? I don't know but I found it funny either way

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...ed_translation

The Future is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingESWAT Veteran Leynos's Avatar

It's taken out of context for when Super Monkey Ball was released on Gamecube. That was the "Nintendo is kiddie" era and Nintendo desperately trying to change that image with the edgy Emo US ads..yet showing Pikmin and publishing REmake. They fought that image even allowing BMX XXX as the only version with all the nudity. They almost changed their logo to a Graffiti logo in the US. Then the Wii and Wii U was just casual family time with grandma and dad I guess.

They will always have a more family appeal with first party games but they do publish and market a lot of M rated games and did let Travis Touchdown say "Fucky" in their E3 presentation. System has a number of western 3rd party games that do fairly well in sales. Switch is now the place where the anime games go to not be censored unlike Sony these days. Have you seen Waifu Uncensored? Full on nudity. Then again they paid for distribution of Wolfenstein New Colossus which also has female nudity. Their first party is again still family focused but they are publishing games to a broader age group than they ever have. Even with stuff not full on M rated but Astral Chain and Daemon X Machina or Dragon Quest. Putting M rated characters in Smash. They have mixed it up better than they ever have. I think the kiddie stuff belongs in the N64 era when everything released on that damn thing was another colorful platformer and little in between it felt like at the time. It's an image Nintendo has fought for the last 20 years with mixed results in perception.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Master of Shinobi

I just find it funny coming from Sega that's all. Like they are still battling like old times. Nintendo's reputation as being kid-friendly is well deserved, their top title in 2020 was Animal Crossing. But it's not like they don't have other games too.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner

interview with Nagoshi ? man, this is just his personal opinion, not SEGA opinion
    instead of making that kind of comment, he should be creating a new SEGA console, I donít promise anything, but I realized that SegaSammy is retelling Segaís story to the younger audience with a strong emphasis on Saturn, Saturn being the SEGA console most successful in Japan, it might not surprise us with a Sega Saturn 2

Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    I just find it funny coming from Sega that's all. Like they are still battling like old times. Nintendo's reputation as being kid-friendly is well deserved, their top title in 2020 was Animal Crossing. But it's not like they don't have other games too.
    The ironic thing in modern gaming is Call of Duty and Fornite appeals to the kids while adults are buying Animal Crossing and Pokemon now.

Outrunner

Quote Originally Posted by SegaAMD View Post
    interview with Nagoshi ? man, this is just his personal opinion, not SEGA opinion
    instead of making that kind of comment, he should be creating a new SEGA console, I donít promise anything, but I realized that SegaSammy is retelling Segaís story to the younger audience with a strong emphasis on Saturn, Saturn being the SEGA console most successful in Japan, it might not surprise us with a Sega Saturn 2

I understand times are tough and in tough times some people might turn to psychedelics to get by. But you really might want to drop it down a mushroom or ten or whatever you're taking.. ok?

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Leynos View Post
    The ironic thing in modern gaming is Call of Duty and Fornite appeals to the kids while adults are buying Animal Crossing and Pokemon now.
    Wow, you're right. I hadn't thought of that.

Quote Originally Posted by SegaAMD View Post
    I can guarantee that will never happen. Even if the console itself sold well for a bit in Japan, it never sold enough software to make money. There's a reason Sega always goes back to the Genesis era for nostalgia and pretends the Saturn doesn't exist. It would be like Nintendo launching Virtual Boy 2.

Your best hope is that Sega gets bought out by an eccentric superfan, like how that Saudi prince just bought SNK. You need someone with billions of dollars who could entertain these kinds of ideas.

It's a bit odd that they went with this translation, but even the linked article admits that there kind of still is a point in Il this. Compared to Sony and Microsoft, Nintendo can still very well be considered to be the more kid-friendly, family-oriented company. Which shouldn't be misconstrued as the old "Nintendo is for kids" slant prevalent throughout the 90s (and still present in the heads of marketing deciders during the GameCube era). These days it's more like "Nintendo is for the whole family, and also for the kids". I would say the success of the Switch and the Wii kind of proves that point (let's not talk about the WiiU though, this just goes to show that gimmicks alone don't sell consoles).

Also, considering Nagoshis career path, having first worked on something like Super Monkey Ball (a very decidedly kid-friendly game series) and later on the Yakuza games (a very much not kid-friendly series), I'm not surprised that his opinions on which platforms these games were most suited for contrast sharply. Mostly that's simply the target demographics from back in the day talking. He just goes on to say that Nintendo is still - and here the potential translation issues come in - either the more kiddier or the more kid-friendly (I'm rather leaning to the latter interpretation) platform vendor out there. And, well... He kind of has a point there, Nintendo never really lost sight of the younger demographic, and they fared pretty well doing so. I see nothing derogatory in a statement like that.
    The funny thing about an oxymoron is, even if you remove the ox, there'll always be a moron. The Question Remains: Y?

The most sensible thing Nagoshi-san ever said. Spot on too

Name me one In-House NCL game that doesn't use cartoon-style art?. I can't think of any TBH. Nintendo doesn't support voice chat on the Switch directly just in case somebody says something nasty to the children LOL
    Mind you it works and makes NCL billions
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner

I can guarantee that will never happen.
    no, you can't

Even if the console itself sold well for a bit in Japan, it never sold enough software to make money. There's a reason Sega always goes back to the Genesis era for nostalgia and pretends the Saturn doesn't exist. It would be like Nintendo launching Virtual Boy 2.
    you are comparing Sega Saturn with virtual boy there is no other logical reason why Sega Sammy is constantly talking about Saturn however it does. quite possibly they are doing SS2. perhaps can be imminent, who knows nov 2021.

Jealousy is a terrible thing to harbor.

Quote Originally Posted by JCU View Post
    Jealousy is a terrible thing to harbor.
    This and the title should reflect that it's not SEGA. It's just one person with an opinion.
    05/05/15

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Leynos View Post
    Thatís why I still appreciate the OG Xbox. You didnít run into a bunch of kids when you got online, and when you did, they werenít that vocal. I remember playing Burnout: The Regenge online with people from over in Europe. This kid was from Scotland and talked about his mum being friends with Madonna.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Quote Originally Posted by BonusKun View Post
    This and the title should reflect that it's not SEGA. It's just one person with an opinion.
    No, just the creative director of SEGA, So come on Bonus, how many NCL games have used adult thems and art?
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    No, just the creative director of SEGA, So come on Bonus, how many NCL games have used adult thems and art?
    Not this crap again. Who cares. Btw Captain Rainbow. Birdo has a dildo. Monolith another 1st party studio did develop Disaster Day of Crisis. Main character says shit a lot. Besides we know Nintendo publishes a lot of M rated games with adult content. What does it matter if NCL or MCL or ACL or AEW or AARP or NRA or whatever develops a game or not with some "adult" content. Besides rated M doesn't necessarily mean mature either.

Thread Information