Quantcast

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 32x ROM Editors

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by Tony H View Post
    You mean an editor that would let you patch some of the data in the SRAM file?
    I think he meant to say patch the ROM so it uses SRAM instead of EEPROM.
    Similar to this one:
    https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/514/

EDIT: There's an old thread on the subject. Not an easy task as it seems.
    Last edited by Barone; 01-07-2021 at 02:11 PM.

Ahh, yes. Have never tried it, but as you mentioned, probably difficult.

Nameless One

I always end up writing in a hurry, I should have been more clear.

Thanks Barone for clarifying.

Yes, it shouldn't be easy because probably involves discovering instructions/addresses for a specific eeprom model.

Anyway, don't bother with this if it's too much trouble.

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by joyeux View Post
    Thanks Barone for clarifying.

Yes, it shouldn't be easy because probably involves discovering instructions/addresses for a specific eeprom model.

Anyway, don't bother with this if it's too much trouble.
    You're welcome.

I'll see what I can do, but have no expectations.
    The hack is something like this:
    - EEPROM is written to in serial manner.
    - SRAM is written to in parallel.
    - First task would be to search and pinpoint the method(s) related to such writes.
    - Second task would be to convert or replace those methods for parallel writing and the new address range.
    - Third task would be to setup a SRAM mechanism based on other games; to analyze the Mega Man hack would be my first step here.
    - Fourth task: integrate the new methods with the SRAM saving system you've implemented.
    - Fifth task: test it to see if it's working properly on real hardware. Objective should be to make it run with a working saving system on cheap flashcarts which only support SRAM.

It shouldn't be more complex than that. EEPROM use suggests that the saved data is very minimal, so tiny SRAM (which usually have better support vs something like Duke Nukem 3D saves which require unusual 64KB saves).

The problem with 32X games hacking is the lack of proper debugging tools. You have to do all the work you can based on the Genesis version and then pray that you can find reused code in the 32X ROM and then just transfer the changes there and use trial and error if you need to make further adjustments.
    My little hack for Pinocchio 32X prototype was basically done like that: blinded for the most part.

Nameless One

Your detailed plan steps are a very good reading, Barone.

I have tried in some ocasions to hex compare two mega drive games hacked from EEPROM to SRAM with the NBA Jam TE, even the Mega Drive version.

For exemple, Wonderboy in Monster World has just a few bytes changed IIRC, in the header. But Mega Man Wily Wars has a lot more. I tried searching for byte sequences that looked alike between these games and NBA Jam TE. But every hex edit I tried I failed.

I even tried to examine the hex differences of some guy's NBA Jam (the original) SRAM hack (which doesn't seem to work AFAIK), but the first game code has nothing to do with the 32X TE version.

The Neo Myth cart, which I own, has an EEPROM, but very few games are supported, and there aren't any supporters at this point.

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by joyeux View Post
    The Neo Myth cart, which I own, has an EEPROM, but very few games are supported, and there aren't any supporters at this point.
    I feel your pain.
    Living in Brazil, we learn the hardware that software-based fixes are the best alternative. 'Cause hardware upgrade is, like now, prohibitive in cost.
    I do have a flashcart that should support it, but despite what was promised, the saves don't work well with my 32X. I don't know if I'm supposed to reset every time or not, but even so, it's such a hassle I just wanted to fix it for good with a ROM hack to use SRAM.

Thread Information