Quantcast

Thread: Did Acclaim manufacture some cartridges in Mexico, but they have "SEGA" on the back?

Genesis Did Acclaim manufacture some cartridges in Mexico, but they have "SEGA" on the back?

I just bought a copy of Pac-Man 2: The New Adventures, and it's an Acclaim-style cart (curved then flat on the sides unlike the SEGA-manufactured ones that are just curved), but it has the "SEGA" logo on the back and says "Assembled in Mexico" underneath the SEGA logo. Did Sega start using Acclaim to manufacture carts?

Comrade as in friend. Master of Shinobi ComradeOj's Avatar

This may be from a later release.

Some games were given another manufacturing run and sold in a cardboard box instead of a plastic clamshell case. Maybe the cartridge had different logos applied?

Or does it look like one of old unlicensed acclaim cartridges? Can you post a photo?
    Modded consoles:
    Master System (v7040) with s-video & direct AV out
    Model 1 with 10mhz overclock & halt switches
    Model 1 with 10mhz 68010
    Model 2 VA2.3 with unfiltered Mega Amp, & s-video
    Model 3 VA1 with compatibility fixes & s-video
    32X with s-video
    Visit my web site at www.mode5.net
    Or my collection of homebrew Genesis games, programs, and music on SEGA-16!

I believe those are the Majesco re-releases. I own the cardboard box version of Castlevania Bloodlines, which is a Majesco re-release and it also says "assembled in Mexico" despite being a Konami game and shaped like a regular konami cart.
    Please check out my YouTube channel

Quote Originally Posted by ComradeOj View Post
    This may be from a later release.

Some games were given another manufacturing run and sold in a cardboard box instead of a plastic clamshell case. Maybe the cartridge had different logos applied?

Or does it look like one of old unlicensed acclaim cartridges? Can you post a photo?
    I don't have it with me at the moment, but when I get around to it, I'll post a few pics.

EDIT- From left-to-right: SEGA- Assembled in Mexico, Acclaim- Assembled in Mexico, SEGA- Made in Japan.

Pac-Man and Carnage are practically identical with the edges looking like: images_1607338554805_1607809816158.png

but El Viento's edge is like:ヮ
    Last edited by NinMicroSega; 12-12-2020 at 04:52 PM.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker

This reminds me, we never got Pac-Man 2 in PAL regions.

Quote Originally Posted by slider1983 View Post
    This reminds me, we never got Pac-Man 2 in PAL regions.
    That sucks.

Variations for this release posted here:
    https://www.sega-16.com/forum/showth...l=1#post787110

The Sega Assembled on Mexico came in only one variation, #3 as in the list at the bottom of that post.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One zilogandmoto's Avatar

Yeah, this sounds accurate. I imported a copy of Bloodshot from the UK about two years ago, and at first when I got it, I thought I was ripped off due to the weirdness with the shell, but it turns out they did manufacture a lot of games like that.

Nonconformist Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent EyeDeeNo76's Avatar

I am not a fan of Majesco or Mexico cartridges.

IIRC, Acclaim and Capcom were one of the few (licensed) third-party companies that produced their own traditionally-sized Genesis cartridges; Acclaim in Mexico, Capcom in Japan.

Acclaim got hosed financially sometime in 1995-1996, during the transition between console gens, for overproducing tons of unsold cartridges. (Served them right for flooding the market with licensed crap and exclamation-laden print ads. ) After releasing "College Slam" in '96, it seems they jumped ship from the 16-Bit market and subsequently sold off their inventory of unsold carts to Majesco. Hence the re-labeled carts.

Nonconformist Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent EyeDeeNo76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aarzak View Post
    IIRC, Acclaim and Capcom were one of the few (licensed) third-party companies that produced their own traditionally-sized Genesis cartridges; Acclaim in Mexico, Capcom in Japan.

Acclaim got hosed financially sometime in 1995-1996, during the transition between console gens, for overproducing tons of unsold cartridges. (Served them right for flooding the market with licensed crap and exclamation-laden print ads. ) After releasing "College Slam" in '96, it seems they jumped ship from the 16-Bit market and subsequently sold off their inventory of unsold carts to Majesco. Hence the re-labeled carts.
    I just received the "Reply to thread" email 8:30am this morning for above post, only took eight days.

But anyway, I had Majesco copy of Paperboy many many years ago also at the time a model 2 Genesis and the stupid cartridge was made way to big enough so I had to fight to insert it and even more so to take it out. Thus the beginning of my dislike for Majesco cartridges than later Made in Mexico's too.

Thread Information