Quantcast

Page 893 of 939 FirstFirst ... 393793843883889890891892893894895896897903 ... LastLast
Results 13,381 to 13,395 of 14072

Thread: Paprium: The Official Thread Mk 2

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher nihilblack's Avatar

Yes, all Paprium threads (except the original one) were merged into this one. Not the best idea, the others were useful, and now are lost here.

It's called a Mega Drive Master of Shinobi Devil N's Avatar

I've had Loempiavreter over the floor this afternoon (yes against lockdown advice but we've both been sensible and self-isolated so it should be fine) and we managed to fix his copy of the game. It turns out his Mega Drive cartridge slot was rather dirty, and cleaning both it and the game cartridge with some isopropyl alcohol cleared up all of the stability issues. We've been able to play through the Mid-Levels in arcade mode in two-player on his copy without any issues. A quick and easy fix then, fortunately.

Along the way we made some interesting discoveries. Turns out there are some rather significant differences between the various editions of the game. He has a Japanese Limited Edition while I have the plain Classic Edition. The first difference is already noticeable on the title screen:

My copy is on the left; it shows the various tech promo logos above the title. His Japanese edition however contains the word メガロポリス (Megalopolis) above the title. Both were run in US region mode so it's not the console's region setting that affects this; it's an actual difference in the ROM.

Second, his copy contains the track title labels at the start of each stage, which is something people have been wondering about. My copy does not have this at all.

Third, on his copy the Showtime character will pop up in the bottom right corner whenever you throw an item at an enemy. My copy only plays the "Showtime!" and "Yeah!" voice samples when you do.

Fourth, his copy shows a hit counter whenever you perform a combo. Again my copy does not have this.

Very oddly, in his copy we were not able to taunt. You just get this ?! look and the announcer saying "Oh no!". We're not sure if this is an actual difference between our copies, or whether the ability to taunt is something you need to unlock by playing Original mode.

Last but not least, we discovered that there are bonus mini games when you play in two-player mode! This one has you competing to see who can throw the most enemies into a hoop. It took us a bit too long to figure out what you're supposed to do and how it works, so we didn't actually get to play it properly.

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by Devil N View Post
    I've had Loempiavreter over the floor this afternoon (yes against lockdown advice but we've both been sensible and self-isolated so it should be fine) and we managed to fix his copy of the game. It turns out his Mega Drive cartridge slot was rather dirty, and cleaning both it and the game cartridge with some isopropyl alcohol cleared up all of the stability issues. We've been able to play through the Mid-Levels in arcade mode in two-player on his copy without any issues. A quick and easy fix then, fortunately.
    This is good news. Good that he can enjoy his copy now.
    And thanks for sharing all the info on the versions differences. Rep given.

Toejam is a wiener. Master of Shinobi SEGA-Jorge's Avatar

I've thought there were differences in versions from the get go. I was commenting on The Wizard who says Ni's YT videos trying to get to the bottom of this. During conversations with Ni on discord I tested 4 separate model 1's, trying to see if I got any different behavior from my game in different consoles, and nothing. My game doesn't have any of that stuff, while his does. Additionally, all my model 1 consoles show up as model 2's in the jukebox. So now we have to seriously consider the ramifications regarding versions of the game that went out, and how WM will remedy this, if at all.

This is such a damn debacle...

My guess is these differences are actually intentional, to give people who paid for the more expensive versions a couple of exclusive features. I wouldn't put it past Fonzie to decide on such a thing. Once again it's the lack of transparency that's the real problem here.

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    Also did something happen and threads were merged?
    Yes, it was a rather unnecessary moderating action by Baloo. Its not like this part of the forum (or any parts) was all that busy to warrant this now rather cluttered thread.

Toejam is a wiener. Master of Shinobi SEGA-Jorge's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Devil N View Post
    My guess is these differences are actually intentional, to give people who paid for the more expensive versions a couple of exclusive features. I wouldn't put it past Fonzie to decide on such a thing. Once again it's the lack of transparency that's the real problem here.
    Well, if it was an accident, expect to be told that the differences are indeed on purpose. If so, Fonzie should be ashamed of himself. If this was on purpose, and he actively went out of his way to imit content from the game for non-limited edition versions of the game, I seriously couldn't be more disappointed. Someone at WM needs to clear this up right away. This is just messed up.

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by SEGA-Jorge View Post
    Well, if it was an accident, expect to be told that the differences are indeed on purpose. If so, Fonzie should be ashamed of himself. If this was on purpose, and he actively went out of his way to imit content from the game for non-limited edition versions of the game, I seriously couldn't be more disappointed. Someone at WM needs to clear this up right away. This is just messed up.
    Just another slap in the face of the consumer. Answering emails is too much but producing crippleware took priority.

There may be different ROMs:

I have the Euro limited edition (cardboard case, purple cart), and my game it's like Devil N's plastic classic edition (no music tracks names, no combo counter, etc).

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

Wait a minute, aren't the additions japan-only instead? If so, it's not the first time it happens.
    Deep into weird, worrying and scary craze.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner Stifu's Avatar

What if the version with more content is simply from a more recent batch? Like, a minor game revision. It would be surprising after so little time, but Fonzie did mention that people who ordered before at certain year would be getting a buggier game, although I can't find the exact quote.

I don't know about that, but my copy was ordered the first day of pre-orders, March 28th 2017, I think. I was one of the first 1988 who got the manga, so it's possible. Maybe a future update with the fabled MegaWire will make every ROM the same, but I wouldn't bet any money on that

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Kamon's Avatar

Wait whaaaat? First the arcade three player mode now this? I assume people have tried switching to Japanese in language settings to see if it unlocks these features. I'm also surprised that this is the first time the mini games have been found. Although with covid I shouldn't be surprised. Had the game been sent to countries who actually dealt with the pandemic well enough for people to be able to hang out we may have found it earlier.

Man what I would give to have the Rom dumped of this game. The dormant features would be so fascinating to dive through let alone the cut content! I have a feeling there's still a few secrets hiding in there. Anyone figure out how to get into arcade mode yet?

It's possible that at least the "basketball" minigame is in both carts, It popped for me the day I received the game and played an arcade two player game with my brother.

Yeah I think the mini-games are just something that only shows up in two-player mode and, well... not many people have been able to play with another player yet. I didn't mean to imply that *all* of the above findings are missing from my copy; I just had never seen those before.

It's also very well possible as Stifu says that they're different revisions of the game that got flashed at different moments, making some of the copies out there incomplete compared to others.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamon View Post
    I assume people have tried switching to Japanese in language settings to see if it unlocks these features.
    Loempiavreter's game was set to English just like mine, so I don't think it has anything to do with the language setting. It's just differences in the ROM.

Anyone figure out how to get into arcade mode yet?
    I tried a couple of things last night but no luck yet.

Thread Information