Quantcast

Page 817 of 953 FirstFirst ... 317717767807813814815816817818819820821827867917 ... LastLast
Results 12,241 to 12,255 of 14281

Thread: Paprium: The Official Thread Mk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Devil N View Post
    If that's the case, have you already heard that Trump didn't get elected for a second term and won't be president anymore a month from now?
    Yeah. Still trying to fight it and still have to hear about him so staying in the dark.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert zborgerd's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chilled View Post

THAT INTRO
    That video has a LOT of spoilers but is cool.

95%. GOTY! ;P

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker

Does anyone know yet if the Datameister chip (or any other chip in the cartridge) is doing anything more than sound because i've flicked through a couple of playthroughs on youtube and it looks like the game is having way to many sprites with no or very little sprite flicker.

If the graphics are being done by the Megadrive alone then this game is truly impressive.

Has anyone checked the cartridge to make sure that it's not built in a way that could damage the consoles? I have basically trimmed the fat, as far as what Genesis consoles I have. I only buy HDG model 1 consoles, but I have 4 HDG model 1's, 2 model 2's and a model 3. I'm hoping I won't be having to worry about damaging consoles with Paprium, as a result of weird voltage issues, or PCB nonsense.

Tiido's apprentice Road Rasher TulioAdriano's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edek View Post
    Does anyone know yet if the Datameister chip (or any other chip in the cartridge) is doing anything more than sound because i've flicked through a couple of playthroughs on youtube and it looks like the game is having way to many sprites with no or very little sprite flicker.

If the graphics are being done by the Megadrive alone then this game is truly impressive.
    Even if the chips in the cart manipulate graphics, there's nothing they can add to the VDP specification. So whatever you're seeing was always possible on the MD. Even games that have officially stated graphics processors such as the SVP on Virtua Racing, can only generate the graphics that stream to the VDP, but in the end, it's bound by the VDP capabilities and constraints. That's the reason the 32X has a cable connecting the MD video output into its input, so that the 32X can output its own graphics and "chroma key" the Mega Drive graphics on it.

Without its own video output, the cartridge cannot do anything beyond the capability of the MD.

As a note (as I imagine some of you may be thinking of this) even if the cart were to compute all graphics and "bake in" Plane A or Plane B (or both), each plane still has the same limitations of how many colors are displayed per tile (16), so if a tile were to contain a sprite using palette 1, and a background behind the sprite using palette 2, that tile could not display all colors combined due to these restrictions.

Video encoders (Matt Bennion knows that very well) use some tricks to maximize colors by computing colors to spread across Plane A, Plane B, and Sprite Plane to maximize the number of colors in a single tile (8x8 cell), but if Paprium would do something like that, it wouldn't be having crisp graphics.

There are some clever tricks happening there (as pointed by Stef D.) but they are all working within what the VDP does and always did. ;-)

2021 will be the year 2Dream!

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyMonkey View Post
    Sprite limit doesn't honestly look like anything abnormal, at least the horizontal "sprite flickering", aka horizontal limit. When well used, sprite layer is actually more powerful than it seems. It also has nice visual compositing (...). You can achieve some good sprite scaling through software, too.
    Slight edits included
    Deep into weird, worrying and scary craze.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker

Quote Originally Posted by TulioAdriano View Post
    Even if the chips in the cart manipulate graphics, there's nothing they can add to the VDP specification. So whatever you're seeing was always possible on the MD. Even games that have officially stated graphics processors such as the SVP on Virtua Racing, can only generate the graphics that stream to the VDP, but in the end, it's bound by the VDP capabilities and constraints. That's the reason the 32X has a cable connecting the MD video output into its input, so that the 32X can output its own graphics and "chroma key" the Mega Drive graphics on it.

Without its own video output, the cartridge cannot do anything beyond the capability of the MD.

As a note (as I imagine some of you may be thinking of this) even if the cart were to compute all graphics and "bake in" Plane A or Plane B (or both), each plane still has the same limitations of how many colors are displayed per tile (16), so if a tile were to contain a sprite using palette 1, and a background behind the sprite using palette 2, that tile could not display all colors combined due to these restrictions.

Video encoders (Matt Bennion knows that very well) use some tricks to maximize colors by computing colors to spread across Plane A, Plane B, and Sprite Plane to maximize the number of colors in a single tile (8x8 cell), but if Paprium would do something like that, it wouldn't be having crisp graphics.

There are some clever tricks happening there (as pointed by Stef D.) but they are all working within what the VDP does and always did. ;-)
    Well they have done a great job then as this looks closer to a Neo Geo game. So could the cartridge chip be used to alleviate slow down and help with the scaling effects then?

Has anyone from South America received the game already? Mine still says "Packing..." since the 15th. I wonder if it's actually shipped but the status isn't being updated as some have confirmed getting the game before any information of a tracking number.

Has anyone who requested a refund received it yet? Seems like that would be easier to send out than the product.

Got a chance to put 1 1/2 hours into it tonight. I think there will be a consensus that it's not touching SoR2.

Still...it's pretty good. It's better than most of the 16-bit brawlers I've played. I still need to put more time into both SoR4 and Paprium to see which one's better, but at this point they're comparable.

I really, really enjoyed SoR4, so if it hits that level, I will be floored. (I have my doubts it's that good.)

BANG Wildside Expert Gadispalembang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by molasar View Post

90's Acid Dub
    90's Dance
    Asian Chill
    Bone Crusher
    Cyber Ninja
    Drumbass Boss
    Jazzy Shuffle
    Spiral
    Techno Beats

Easily my top 9 songs. Would be a top 10 list if we got that one missing song in the game.
    Granted this isn't the entire soundtrack that has been unlocked, so I'm hoping to complete
    the list! I'm rarely impressed by anything these days, so congrats to Groovemaster303 and
    Jredd for making my 21st century a lot more bearable!

Quote Originally Posted by majinga View Post
    The main CPU is an ALTERA 10m02scu169c8g, plus there is an STM32f446zej6, TmEE was right.
    There is another chip which I can't identify, but from the position probably is the EPROM for the FPGA.

Attachment 15738
    Attachment 15739
    Attachment 15740
    Wait, it's actually still labeled as an Altera chip? Where are they sourcing these chips from, a Shenzhen backalley second hand peddler? Altera was acquired by and incorporated into Intel back in 2015,new old stock with the original logo has been phased out years ago. Which means these must be at least 4 year old second-hand-chips acting as the heart of the cart. This does not really fill me with confidence regarding their durability, to be frank.
    The funny thing about an oxymoron is, even if you remove the ox, there'll always be a moron. The Question Remains: Y?

Video Game Modder Outrunner segasonicfan's Avatar

Default New Paprium Video (very thorough!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCxQXnVMqbs&t

Just posted an hour ago:

For anyone looking for a more in-depth feedback and review (in English).

My Website:
    SEGASONICFAN DESIGNS

Sorry, I don't respond to PM's for repair advice. Please consider posting on the forums - your question might be somebody else's answer!
    I offer free repair advice through public forums as a service to the community and as a repository of information.
    If you cannot post here, I recommend these places that don't have posting restrictions:
    https://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php
    https://www.smspower.org/forums/
    https://www.obscuregamers.com/forums/

Death Adder's minion

Quote Originally Posted by Rapha7 View Post
    Has anyone from South America received the game already? Mine still says "Packing..." since the 15th. I wonder if it's actually shipped but the status isn't being updated as some have confirmed getting the game before any information of a tracking number.
    Where is yours being shipped from?

Thread Information