Quantcast

Page 901 of 951 FirstFirst ... 401801851891897898899900901902903904905911 ... LastLast
Results 13,501 to 13,515 of 14265

Thread: Paprium: The Official Thread Mk 2

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher nihilblack's Avatar

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to chilled again

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner Stifu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chilled View Post
    I for one would have sued Sega for ripping Final Fight's main character off
    No way. He has a blue headband and a different name.
    Seriously though, Cody's design was pretty simple and generic, and Sega did not steal any of Capcom's assets. This cannot be compared with what Fonzie did.

It's called a Mega Drive Master of Shinobi Devil N's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stifu View Post
    Seriously though, Cody's design was pretty simple and generic, and Sega did not steal any of Capcom's assets. This cannot be compared with what Fonzie did.
    This. There is a very clear legal difference between creating a character that looks similar to and is inspired by someone else's franchise, versus directly copying sprites from another game without permission. If the former wasn't allowed we could basically just give up creative arts altogether, because every painting or piece of music is always inspired by something else. Cody himself will also have been inspired by a character from some martial arts movie, that's just how these things go. But that's not the same as when Capcom or Sega had digitized clips from a movie and put those directly into their games; that is copying and that falls under copyright. It gets a bit more complicated if a character is trademarked, but even then it's usually fine if you loosely base another character on them, so long as you don't directly reference the original inspiration.

Nameless One

Quote Originally Posted by Stifu View Post

Even if streets of rage is my favourite beat em up saga, sega must be sued for the music of Sor 1 and Sor 2.

The real tracks that Yuzo used as "inspiration" XD

01.The Streets of rage = Soul II Soul - Get a Life (1989)
    02.The Streets of rage = Enigma - Sadeness (Part I) (1990)
    03.Fighting in the Street = Royal House - Can You Party (1988)
    04.Dilapidated Town = Beau Dollar - Who Knows (1970)
    05.Moon Beach = The Night Writers - Let the Music (1987)
    06.Keep the Groovin = Black Box - Open Your Eyes (1990)
    07.Beatnik on the Ship = Electribe 101 - Talking With Myself (1988)
    08.Stealthy Steps = Black Box - Hold on (1990)
    09.Attack the Barbarian = Royal House - Can You Party (1988)

01.Go Straight = Inner City - Good Life (1988)
    02.Go Straight=Hithouse-Move Your Feet to the Rhythm of the Beat (1989)
    03.Go Straight = Landlord - I Like It (1989)
    04.Go Straight = Magoria - Mutoid Waste (1990)
    05.Go Straight = Bass Value - Do You Wanna Party (1991)
    06.Go Straight = Bass Bumpers - The Music's Got Me (1992)
    07.Under Logic = The Shamen - Move Any Mountain (1991)
    08.Too Deep = Bob James - Take Me to the Mardi Gras (1975)
    09.Too Deep = Public Enemy - Rebel Without a Pause (1987)
    10.Slow Moon = Childish Gambino - Hold You Down (2011)
    11.Wave 131 = Black Box - Everybody Everybody (1990)
    Last edited by pepodmc; 01-24-2021 at 07:17 PM.

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Devil N View Post
    This. There is a very clear legal difference between creating a character that looks similar to and is inspired by someone else's franchise, versus directly copying sprites from another game without permission. If the former wasn't allowed we could basically just give up creative arts altogether, because every painting or piece of music is always inspired by something else. Cody himself will also have been inspired by a character from some martial arts movie, that's just how these things go. But that's not the same as when Capcom or Sega had digitized clips from a movie and put those directly into their games; that is copying and that falls under copyright. It gets a bit more complicated if a character is trademarked, but even then it's usually fine if you loosely base another character on them, so long as you don't directly reference the original inspiration.
    Correct, Cody was inspired by Tom Cody from the film Streets of Fire, which is also where the name Streets of Rage comes from. Final Fight also borrows elements from Double Dragon.

What Fonzie did was really stupid though, he narrowly avoided being sued by his own customers only to risk a lawsuit or C&D from Sega.
    Can he alter the sprite via the MegaWire? That would be the best solution, just change it via software update.

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    Correct, Cody was inspired by Tom Cody from the film Streets of Fire, which is also where the name Streets of Rage comes from. Final Fight also borrows elements from Double Dragon.

What Fonzie did was really stupid though, he narrowly avoided being sued by his own customers only to risk a lawsuit or C&D from Sega.
    Can he alter the sprite via the MegaWire? That would be the best solution, just change it via software update.
    Background tiles also look like straight rips from SoR and GAIII

I find it quite funny that some are reeee-ing about Pap being reverse engineered and eventually dumped, but straight bitmap rips, "This is fine".

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One SBlaise84's Avatar

Sitting here playing the rom dump of the mini game. I wonder how much longer til those enterprising Russian hackers crack the copy protection? If you go by 4chan it's any day now but obviously that can't be right; I'm expecting it to take years. It truly is a shame there won't be an official rom for purchase for us digital only folks...

Quote Originally Posted by pepodmc View Post
    Even if streets of rage is my favourite beat em up saga, sega must be sued for the music of Sor 1 and Sor 2.

The real tracks that Yuzo used as "inspiration" XD
    That's still not copyright infringement though. Even if he directly mimicked the melodies, Yuzo Koshiro had to program these songs from scratch and re-orchestrate them to work for the Mega Drive's audio chips. That's more like making a cover of a song, which is generally allowed. The resulting tracks are sufficiently different that you can't reasonably claim they're copies. It would be copyright infringement if Sega had ripped those songs from an album and used them directly as Red Book audio on a Mega CD game.

Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    That depends on what Sega will do and what their demands might be. The easiest solution would be to just cut the content entirely from future releases. They're optional hidden bonuses so the game will work fine without them. Knowing Fonzie though, he would likely say he cut the content but keep it in anyway, just make it a lot more complicated to access. Then blame Sega for being mean to him when he inevitably gets into trouble again.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Kamon's Avatar

Well it's the 25th, are we allowed to ask for the games we're owed again? As far as can be seen, the rest of the games haven't been sent off. If fonzie promised to get milk on the way home, he'd disappear for a week and come back with soy milk and tell you to be thankful you're getting anything.

Training-in-Hedgehog Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher tokay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chilled View Post
    I for one would have sued Sega for ripping Final Fight's main character off
    This and that: https://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?9817 :-D

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training Frost Blossom's Avatar

i don't know what he would have to be thinking to put in what appears to be literally sprites from other games in Paprium. There's inspiration and then this. I doubt anything would happen because Paprium is such an obscure game but it still doesn't seem very intelligent to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Frost Blossom View Post
    i don't know what he would have to be thinking to put in what appears to be literally sprites from other games in Paprium. There's inspiration and then this. I doubt anything would happen because Paprium is such an obscure game but it still doesn't seem very intelligent to do.
    Paprium is being sold as a commercial product, so the fact that it's targeted at a niche audience doesn't really matter. Plenty of free fan-made tribute projects are being shut down with cease & desists, because companies simply cannot allow people to just run away with their intellectual properties. Nintendo especially can be very harsh in that respect and I'm 100% sure they would have acted already if Paprium had copied any of their assets. I'm not sure how strict Sega is compared to that, but I can't imagine they'll simply let this one go.

I also confirmed the existence of the Golden Axe III tribute area. Once you see the pattern it wasn't hard to guess where it would be hidden: in the Deep Storage stage. Yeah this is quite damning:

Quote Originally Posted by Kamon View Post
    Well it's the 25th, are we allowed to ask for the games we're owed again? As far as can be seen, the rest of the games haven't been sent off. If fonzie promised to get milk on the way home, he'd disappear for a week and come back with soy milk and tell you to be thankful you're getting anything.
    I’d fucking hope so. In late December, Luis was doing the rounds saying he was told that the remaining games would be shipping the first week of January. Well, January is almost over and we’ve seen nothing, save for that joke of an email from Fonzie a little while back dismissing everyone’s legitimate concerns. At this rate, there’s a very real chance that even if he shipped the games this week, some people may not see their stuff until two months after the game’s December 16 launch given the current state of the USPS.

This is, hands down, the most miserable customer service I’ve ever witnessed. At this point the hype is dead, and everything the game has to show has been revealed in posts on this forum, Twitter, etc. Considering how big of a deal Fonzie made about not showing any footage or screens because it’d spoil the experience for those who waited so long, the fact that he’s left so many pre-order customers empty-handed so long after the game’s release is simply inexcusable.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil N View Post
    Okay I've tracked down the secret areas in Bion-Mart, Reformatory and Central Park now. Here are the screenshots:

https://i.imgur.com/HjeSoxz.png (Bion-Mart)
    https://i.imgur.com/qq2Vj6F.png (Central Park)
    https://i.imgur.com/gn3KOnA.png (Reformatory)

I also have a short video up with the Streets of Rage homage area, which hopefully makes it a bit easier for people to find the right spot in the future:

Added these to the guide, including video links, along with some info I have received via email.

Quote Originally Posted by The Wizard who says Ni View Post
    Guys, the LX-V thing is being teased by @1985MAX2 :
    https://twitter.com/1985MAX2/status/1353421993446543361

Is anybody able to guess the content of that first boot line ?
    Never had that line ...
    Not related to the LX-V thing as far as I know. That screen is just the hidden button combo to show the Datenmeister's serial number. (Hold B at boot until the Sanophix Terminal screen)
    Last edited by Mr. Ksoft; 01-25-2021 at 02:23 PM.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

Woops you're right, nothing interesting here then. Thank you !
    Wiz

Thread Information