Quantcast

Page 747 of 951 FirstFirst ... 247647697737743744745746747748749750751757797847 ... LastLast
Results 11,191 to 11,205 of 14251

Thread: Paprium: The Official Thread Mk 2

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by Scrobins09 View Post
    Video Game Sage has risen in the last year to offer a forum community after the fall of NintendoAge and SegaAge, and it isnít specific to any console or company.
    That's for collectors.

2020 Sega-16 forum is a shadow of what this forum once was and for a lot of reasons.
    Some of the former active members which were hardcore modders and CRT collectors are now active in Facebook groups.
    Developers and hackers discuss on discord now.
    News are mostly shared on Twitter.

The shitty part is that a lot of idiots who have no interest in Mega Drive games are still active here, we never seen to have a shortage of those; I've been saying this for years, but having a Off Topic section these days is like seeding cancer.
    By the way, this is the thread with most views in the forum, but the most active ones are in the Off Topic and Insert Coin sections.

That says a lot.

Most Sega-16 active members don't play Mega Drive games nor discuss about them and much less have anything insightful to say about Sega games in general.
    If we are campaigning to shutdown this thread due to its stupidity and negativism, I'd strongly recommend shutting down the cancerous and troll-filled Off Topic section first.

Toejam is a wiener. Master of Shinobi SEGA-Jorge's Avatar

Ultimately, something needs to be done about the forum. It really does seem like it's on its last legs. I don't really know where everyone hangs out. Some older folks are still in IRC, very few are in the discord. r/SegaGenesis is still pretty active. I don't really believe any of those options fill the unique long-form discussion that forums do. I'd hate to see the forum go, but I also think that there is almost no discussion going on in a vast majority of the threads. I don't really know what the solution is, but it really seems to be in dire straits.

Nameless One

Default How about an improvement thread?

Sadly I've noticed this forum going down hill lately. It's mostly the lack of new content and discussions. The forum used to be chocked full of new content and I'm just not seeing it.

Lately, I've really been into homebrews on this site, but the blast processing thread was changed and it seems like people stopped posting.

I know Sega Genesis retro gaming is not dying because I have like 5 games pre-ordered.

If I owned this site, I would consider a re-design and focus. Like making this site work better with cell phones. More focus on new games, repros and homebrews. You have the order stuff covered.

But what do I know? How about a pinned thread on making this place better?

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner Stifu's Avatar

I've never known this place back when it was really active, but anyway... The way I see it, considering some forums are barely active anymore, I'd just merge forums to reduce their number and have fewer but more active forums. For example, I'd merge Developer's Den with Genesis Does!.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker peido's Avatar

I think that the trouble that all new users must go through to become active also helps to the lack of activity on the forum.

About this thread, I know that most of you don't like it because it doesn't have new news, but I like to sometimes come here and read rants about Fonzie (I'm still mad about the money that I lost) :P

Quote Originally Posted by homerhomer View Post
    Sadly I've noticed this forum going down hill lately. It's mostly the lack of new content and discussions. The forum used to be chocked full of new content and I'm just not seeing it.

Lately, I've really been into homebrews on this site, but the blast processing thread was changed and it seems like people stopped posting.

I know Sega Genesis retro gaming is not dying because I have like 5 games pre-ordered.

If I owned this site, I would consider a re-design and focus. Like making this site work better with cell phones. More focus on new games, repros and homebrews. You have the order stuff covered.

But what do I know? How about a pinned thread on making this place better?
    Why are you posting these suggestions here in the "Let's all dump on Paprium"-thread, and not in the dedicated "Site & Forum Feedback" section which is, you know, designed to give Feedback and Suggestions on how to improve Site and Forum? I think over there it would be much more likely for someone who actually could implement your suggestions to actually find and read them.
    The funny thing about an oxymoron is, even if you remove the ox, there'll always be a moron. The Question Remains: Y?

We went over this before and the only thing we managed to get is make Melf create more sections, not less. That's how we got Developer's Den, which only ended up making things worse as new homebrew got even less visibility than before by pushing them into a subsection of the section that was originally meant to hold them in the first place.

And also let's be honest, homebrew is starting to feel more like a fad. People will be way more excited about a color hack or a balance hack of an existing game from the '90s than over some new game for which they have no nostalgia at all.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One Scrobins09's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    And also let's be honest, homebrew is starting to feel more like a fad. People will be way more excited about a color hack or a balance hack of an existing game from the '90s than over some new game for which they have no nostalgia at all.
    I don't think that's true at all. Genesis (and Sega generally) homebrew isn't particularly robust, but NES homebrew is thriving. I think hacks may be more likely to fade as that market gets saturated.

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    That's for collectors.

2020 Sega-16 forum is a shadow of what this forum once was and for a lot of reasons.
    Some of the former active members which were hardcore modders and CRT collectors are now active in Facebook groups.
    Developers and hackers discuss on discord now.
    News are mostly shared on Twitter.
    That a pretty good succinct version of where most people have gone. PCEngineFans was built out of the rubble of PCEngineFX and it's got maybe a dozen regulars as well.

Like you say, just a lot more people on Facebook and Discord now. Neither is good for long term preservation of information though. Facebook is absolute garbage in terms of longevity especially, if you tried to discuss Paprium there it would be a huge number of disparate threads all over the place.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Spendle's Avatar

I think you're onto something there. I had an epiphany a few months ago where I realised that I was wasting my money on new mega drive games as they did nothing for me. If I'm going to spend some of my earnings on old system games I want to experience the originals - primarily buying games I wanted to own but never did.

The first homebrew games on the mega drive had the novelty of resurrecting the system but these days new games come thick and fast. They aren't cheap either so I'd rather divert my cash to something that is original and developed under the challenges and constraints of the time. Not everyone will think similarly to me, I get that.

Once I've unboxed my games from storage I will be selling the few homebrew titles that I do have and reinvesting any cash on original software.

Death Bringer ESWAT Veteran Black_Tiger's Avatar

Discord sucks because it's a glorified chatroom. You can't document and easily search through priceless info like you can on a message board.

Revisionism and historical documentation slipping away was already bad enough. Soon there won't be enough people who know much about classic gaming to even have substantial discussions.

Meanwhile new games for classic consoles will still come and go in order to fill collectors' shelves.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Death Bringer ESWAT Veteran Black_Tiger's Avatar

We went over this before and the only thing we managed to get is make Melf create more sections, not less. That's how we got Developer's Den, which only ended up making things worse as new homebrew got even less visibility than before by pushing them into a subsection of the section that was originally meant to hold them in the first place.

It depends on the console. The Mega Drive already got hubdreds of solid games that make decent use of the hardware.

Homebrew productions that make good use of the potential of pre-8-bit gen console hardware continue to gain momentum.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Toejam is a wiener. Master of Shinobi SEGA-Jorge's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    Discord sucks because it's a glorified chatroom. You can't document and easily search through priceless info like you can on a message board.

Revisionism and historical documentation slipping away was already bad enough. Soon there won't be enough people who know much about classic gaming to even have substantial discussions.

Meanwhile new games for classic consoles will still come and go in order to fill collectors' shelves.
    I think discord is great for discussion, sharing videos, info, etc. We also can pin stuff. That being said, I think our Sega-16 discord should work together with the forum. Hardware and software stuff needs to have a home, and for the most part, the way we've gathered stuff here is pretty helpful. A lot of the hardware and repair stuff has been really helpful to tons of visitors, and I can't tell you how many times I've had a question about a game/game's mechanics and found stuff here. Granted, it's only for Sega stuff, but it's helpful. I've tried to collect my stuff here, and there are absolutely times that my info have appeared somewhere else, or I've had a question about a game I used to play, and run into posts by ME that documented all the stuffs. We have good content here, we just need to have our separate elements working together. Twitter/Discord/YT (if that ever happens)/main site/forum.

If we can have all the separate entities each doing their jobs, they'll have content.

Also, information about these games isn't going anywhere. It's all here, on YT, on Sega Retro, etc. There's plenty of information and people that know and share it. We should be more concerned that people don't give a sh*t about that info. Collectors care more about the games as items, than actual games, so you have people that review/comment on games, and know very little about the games within their historical context, at a competitive level, as alternatives to arcade/console rival options, etc. We have collectors cataloguing our knowledge base for these games, and as a result, that base of knowledge is rather limited in regard to technical and design details. I have entire score attack threads with literally, the only info on those games on the entirety of the internet, and they get zero traction. It's because no one cares. Collector's collect. Worse off, emulation (not that I have anything against it) makes it so that new players get shotgun blasts of options from within the existing library of each retro console. They don't tend to explore those titles they are spending time with very much, and as a result, we have new vintage game enthusiasts that know next to nothing about a large range of games.

How many collectors went ham collecting Renovation titles, but know absolutely nothing about the actual games themselves? That's like the majority of the existing collector/retro enthusiast base.

I guess what bums me out is that a lot of these games have so much to offer, and we lose that by not talking about it, sharing it, and making it part of the vintage gaming experience. The roots of console gaming are found in the 3rd/4th/5th generations of console gaming. And we kinda don't focus, as a community, on some of those aspects. Currently, YT, Podcasts, and Forums are the best way to gather this info, in my opinion. Outside dedicated sites to specific titles, these are our best options.
    Last edited by SEGA-Jorge; 11-09-2020 at 12:43 PM.

Combine forums (Genesis,32x, Sega CD and Genesis home-brew). Get rid of dead forums like Sega Arcade and SG-1000. Simplify everything and centralize conversation.

Raging in the Streets Thunderblaze16's Avatar

Well...even though I honestly don't come here as often as I use to (military life) and if the site does get to the point it has to be shut down.

I'll still continue to visit here till that day comes.
    Gentlemen...,It's been an absolute pleasure knowing you all since the beginning.
    Last edited by Thunderblaze16; 11-10-2020 at 07:44 AM.
    ***Visualshock! Speedshock! Soundshock! Now is time to the 68000 heart on fire!***
    http://ban-game-4.gamewise.co/musha-metallic-uniframe-super-hybrid-armor_banner65-61867-full.jpeg

Thread Information