Quantcast

Page 304 of 960 FirstFirst ... 204254294300301302303304305306307308314354404804 ... LastLast
Results 4,546 to 4,560 of 14388

Thread: Paprium: The Official Thread Mk 2

Quote Originally Posted by AggroSky View Post
    Alright, so I just wanted to fill everyone in on some other Paprium interview plans I've got.

First off, as I stated in my article (which you can read here if you haven't already: http://www.gamingrebellion.com/2017/...ermelon-games/), I have been trying to get an interview with Fonzie for about a year and a half now. He initially agreed back in 2015, but then went off the grid. Since then I haven't been able to get a hold of him and just gave up. Once I saw that the Paprium announcement was incoming, I emailed him again, still no response. So rather than miss the boat, I went ahead with the article I published this past week, which was all based on Tulios account of Watermelon and the early development of Paprium.

Well, low and behold, 2 days after I published it, I got an email from Fonzie. Suffice it to say that he wasn't happy and basically lambasted me for telling Tulios side of the story and not his...

So, I reached out again to him, saying that I wanted to be fair and give his side of the story also (that was always the plan from the very beginning anyway) but again he hasn't responded. It's obvious at this point that he doesn't like doing interviews. In fact, the only interview I've ever seen with him was from that Polygon article from 2012. And even then, probably 80% of the quotes were from Tulio.

So I reached out to XGoldenboyX who as I'm sure most of you know, has done A LOT of work on Paprium as well, and is in communication with Fonzie. We are going to do an interview on the development of Paprium and hopefully get some more detailed information on what's been going on for the past 4 years. That's my goal anyway. I want it to be as in depth and interesting as possible. And perhaps I can also tell a bit of Fonzie's story as well, even if it is through a 3rd party.

At any rate, I feel sort of bad about how things went down with my article. I never intended to make Fonzie look bad or attack him in any way. I was just telling a story. Everyone who read it and talked to me about it seemed to really like it. Even if it presents a one sided story. I tried my best to be objective and base most of it on Tulios accounts and my observations in this thread and Watermelons forums. I mean, it's no secret that people weren't happy with Fonzie for a very long time (many still aren't) but I've wanted from the beginning to give the guy a chance to defend himself. It's frustrating!

Anyway, I'm hoping I can accomplish something with this new article, as a followup of sorts to my last one. Even if it ends up just being about Paprium and XGoldenboysX experience working on it, I think it will make for an interesting read.

Thoughts? Any questions anyone wants me to ask him to elaborate on in the interview? I have lots of ideas
    AggroSky I just read your article and you did a very good job. It was a really enjoyable read and having Tulio's insight was excellent. It did not feel like the article was 'pro' Tulio and 'anti' Fonzie. You were just working with the information you had.

I can understand why Fonzie might feel offended but he shouldn't be. The game has some colorful history about two creators who are very passionate about their work. It would be great to see them work together again and from this article it does not feel like that bridge has been burned.

Maybe down the road Fonzie will give you some time and you can expand on the article. That would be very cool.
    Sega Dude

Visit my Instagram @RetroMegabit or RetroMegabit.com

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by OverDrone View Post
    I dunno, I think there was a lot of new content in the trailer as well as the new screenshots. And don't forget, nothing will have changed with Fonzie's MO - which has always been to surprise us on release rather than show off the whole game beforehand.

I still like to think there might be scaling motorcycle stages or something we don't know about yet.
    I would not be surprised if what we've seen in that video is really just an old alpha build of the game. Fonzie is probably laughing on us right now.
    Last edited by Barone; 04-03-2017 at 04:01 PM.

16-bits is all he needs Master of Shinobi matteus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    I would be surprised if what we've seen in that video is really just an old alpha build of the game. Fonzie is probably laughing on us right now.
    It's hard to know isn't it! This video was teased on the 9th September 2016.

Quote Originally Posted by matteus View Post
    It's hard to know isn't it! This video was teased on the 9th September 2016.
    This make's perfect sense, he hand's off footage to the trailer team and they put together the live action part's.

BANG Wildside Expert Gadispalembang's Avatar

With all those channels provided by the magic chip in PY, can we expect a track like this in the game?

A nice song with cheesy lyrics? Konami did manage to compress a few tracks like these into
    just a few megabytes. Utilizing tricks where all the vocals are just short voice sample files
    timed appropriately with a typical midi/tracker file.

If you listen to the new sampler you will hear one song using a bunch of vocals. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q44cXbcyWD8 Not the same but maybe more tracks like it, but it would have to fit. The only stage we seen that i am guessing that play's in, is the Blue Bar.

I also remember reading somewhere that Fonzie is not a big fan of vocal's, maybe it was Tulio that said so. I forgot where sadly.
    Last edited by zredgemz; 04-04-2017 at 04:04 AM.

I know Fonzie isn't a big fan of percussion (to the point that there was a setting to disable drums in Pier Solar). No idea if that applies to vocals too.

Extreme Procrastinator Master of Shinobi Flygon's Avatar

I just realized, the second track in the sampler reminds me of the driving theme from the SNES Outlander.
    Last edited by Flygon; 04-04-2017 at 06:20 AM.

Wildside Expert Groovemaster303's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zredgemz View Post
    If you listen to the new sampler you will hear one song using a bunch of vocals. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q44cXbcyWD8 Not the same but maybe more tracks like it, but it would have to fit. The only stage we seen that i am guessing that play's in, is the Blue Bar.

I also remember reading somewhere that Fonzie is not a big fan of vocal's, maybe it was Tulio that said so. I forgot where sadly.
    Tulio was my main go to guy throughout the making of the soundtrack. Later on I dealt with Fonz on updating a few things here and there.
    A few tracks have vocal samples the big one being the one in the sampler. Being a massive Jet Set Radio fan I love vocal samples used in a cool way but I'm also aware many people are not big fans of them. Also sample memory played a part so

I made a choice to focus on what we needed early on and to leave some spare space in case we found we needed say a certain sound. Once we pretty much completed the OST. We then returned to create a few new tunes and use up any available sample memory on some cool samples or new instruments. Which is where improvements to some existing tracks also came along.

Surely using samples without copyright is an issue here?

Wildside Expert Groovemaster303's Avatar

The majority if not all samples used are from sample CD's I own. We did have the SOR uh! but we didn't have the source for the original file so we removed it. Plus it felt like overkill to have it in.

Framemeister Expert Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner Tower of Power's Avatar

Surely using samples without copyright is an issue here?
    Well, the issue of how much you can/should sample from who is a debate that's been raging for a long time and I don't think it's totally settled. But from a legal perspective, you could sample yourself singing or saying something or playing an instrument and not run afoul of copyright.

He's never been confident with interviews. When I worked for watermelon I'd send him journalist questions and he'd send me the responses to edit.
    This is what I don't understand. You don't talk to the press or anyone, provide almost no information to the people who financially backed your game, and then get mad when information is actually published? Too bad. If Fonzie was indeed so concerned about what's being said, then he shouldn't have forced press outlets to piece together a story like an episode of Scooby-Doo. I assume he actually does want the word to spread about the game, but if he's not confident/interested/capable of doing interviews, then he should delegate that task to someone else. Most game companies have someone who does that and only that. As far as I'm concerned, you don't get to complain about what's printed if you don't want to provide any facts.

To be fair, this time around was much easier than the information nightmare that was Pier Solar. At least there was a press kit this time, with a release and assets, so writing a standard preview was easy enough. There's nothing more than that, so I'm not exactly sure what kind of coverage Fonzie thinks he'll get if he doesn't share anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Groovemaster303 View Post
    The majority if not all samples used are from sample CD's I own. We did have the SOR uh! but we didn't have the source for the original file so we removed it. Plus it felt like overkill to have it in.
    If you're using samples that aren't your own then you'll need to clear copyright, unfortunately owning the CD doesn't count :/

http://diymusician.cdbaby.com/music-...righted-music/

I mean lots of people do it without permission and it's pretty unlike you'll get flagged for it but I'd seriously consider using your own recorded voice samples where you can.

Thread Information