Quantcast

Page 795 of 959 FirstFirst ... 295695745785791792793794795796797798799805845895 ... LastLast
Results 11,911 to 11,925 of 14379

Thread: Paprium: The Official Thread Mk 2

Wildside Expert Groovemaster303's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ryoandr View Post
    I remember reading about tracks being shuffled around.
    This may be why I feel stage 1 music shouldn't be like that. It gets far too much repetitive, and doesn't fit a full level.
    Me and Trevin (Jredd) composed a number of tracks (around 70) for the game including a different track for stage 1. We had no idea of what would be actually used on what levels though.
    I'd be interested to see how many songs made it into the game.

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Groovemaster303 View Post
    Me and Trevin (Jredd) composed a number of tracks (around 70) for the game including a different track for stage 1. We had no idea of what would be actually used on what levels though.
    I'd be interested to see how many songs made it into the game.
    yeah also there is no sound test so there's that, uh
    maybe it's unlockable, dunno
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cart sizes @ Top 5 @ Top 250 @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150) @ best European games

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner Stifu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Groovemaster303 View Post
    We had no idea of what would be actually used on what levels though.
    I know you had no say in the matter, but that does not sound like a good approach to me. Fonzie cares too much about secrecy, even if it ends up hurting his game. For what it's worth, the two game musicians I've worked wanted as much information as possible to make sure the music fits each stage / place, and one of them insisted shuffling musics was out of question.

Master of Shinobi

Here, let me put that love scene music into this grand battle scene...
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cart sizes @ Top 5 @ Top 250 @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150) @ best European games

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by evilevoix View Post
    Thanks for pointing out the sprite limit. It's interesting it can hit that limit without massive slow down. Why is 480i an interesting choice?
    Curious choice would be more appropriate.
    480i is used when you need more vertical resolution, it is used a lot in PS / Saturn games for inventories because of text.

On MD I've seen it used twice, Intro of Hokuto no Ken / Last Battle, because it's a scrolling text, and the most famous of course, Sonic 2 versus, has it needed to fit 2 players fields on one screen.

But Paprium assets are clearly made 240p, so using 480i you get a flickering display, and you lose the natural softening you get with 240p scanline effect...

Master of Shinobi

ok, so it's hooked and I'm hearing it through proper speakers, it's pumping me up so much I'm worried I'll let you down and go back to play haha.

I don't know what to do with all my sliders, I'll try with 50% with everything including MD's volume slider unless you tell me otherwise. This is a completely unmodded GEN VA6 so expect muffled sound I guess. No equalizing whatsoever on the PC side. Game's default settings.

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by chilled View Post
    As for the mic in, does it make a difference between the front and back plug? I'm on a simple Asrock h110m-itx/ac I don't even know what my audio chipset is, you can check if you want.
    Plug it into the blue jack on the back, it's the line in. Mic input is made only for mics obviously.

Master of Shinobi

Plug it into the blue jack on the back, it's the line in. Mic input is made only for mics obviously.
    WOW THATS MUCH MUCH LOUDER

So, MD slider at 50 or 100% ?

I'm worried recording at 100% on the PC side will distort, I don't know about those things. Also 16bit and 44100Hz because I don't see why I would go farther, I don't want my FLAC to be too huge (slow connection).

Ok so I'm doing 100% MD slider, 50% line in slider recording volume. I'll be off a bit while I record (same screen where I surf) and will try to take notes on the timmings if I don't get too distracted by the game and the music ! Audacity is now recording, onto attract mode now.

BTW sorry Fonzie the game looks awesome on LCD too, even with (excessive) smoothing filter on. I wouldn't dare do it without a rad2x or pricier options, though.

EDIT (again...) ok so Audacity doesn't find any clipping even if recording at 100% everywhere, I'm doing 90% line in just in case. 50% was too low. Hope it will sound good.
    Last edited by chilled; 12-18-2020 at 05:58 PM.

Wildside Expert Groovemaster303's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stifu View Post
    I know you had no say in the matter, but that does not sound like a good approach to me. Fonzie cares too much about secrecy, even if it ends up hurting his game. For what it's worth, the two game musicians I've worked wanted as much information as possible to make sure the music fits each stage / place, and one of them insisted shuffling musics was out of question.
    Early on it was fine, we had lots of concept art, list of potential stages and more than enough to help us get started on our journey. Tulio if I recall correct also had us quite involved and would ask how and where we would envisage each track potentially going. Of course as time went on and things changed at Watermelon I still had some contact with Fonzie. Once I sent in the final mixes, that was pretty much the end of my involvement, so sadly never had an opportunity to see the game in action or give an opinion on where I would place potential tracks.

So while that part is slightly frustrating for me, being an avid gamer and musician. I still respect Fonzie and his decision, for better or worse.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert zborgerd's Avatar

Curious choice would be more appropriate.
    480i is used when you need more vertical resolution, it is used a lot in PS / Saturn games for inventories because of text.

On MD I've seen it used twice, Intro of Hokuto no Ken / Last Battle, because it's a scrolling text, and the most famous of course, Sonic 2 versus, has it needed to fit 2 players fields on one screen.

But Paprium assets are clearly made 240p, so using 480i you get a flickering display, and you lose the natural softening you get with 240p scanline effect...
    Do we know for certain that it's 480i or just captured by something that can't correctly understand 240p?

This is very typical of a lot of ADC conversion into scalers, especially in televisions. Clearly that capture was not even 4:3. so I'm not sure until I get my hands on the game.

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by zborgerd View Post
    Do we know for certain that it's 480i or just captured by something that can't correctly understand 240p?

This is very typical of a lot of ADC scalers, especially in televisions.
    I've read a comment about it, and it would explain why CRT filming has that blurry look (outside of composite being blurry by nature).

Well, disregard, apparenly it was some bad cable setup.

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

I have an OSSC. I'll see what it says when I get mine, though I expect others will beat me to the punch.

Quote Originally Posted by cleeg View Post
    I have an OSSC. I'll see what it says when I get mine, though I expect others will beat me to the punch.
    Ditto. I'll use my OSSC if the Mega SG is a no go.

Quote Originally Posted by chilled View Post
    WOW THATS MUCH MUCH LOUDER

So, MD slider at 50 or 100% ?

I'm worried recording at 100% on the PC side will distort, I don't know about those things. Also 16bit and 44100Hz because I don't see why I would go farther, I don't want my FLAC to be too huge (slow connection).

Ok so I'm doing 100% MD slider, 50% line in slider recording volume. I'll be off a bit while I record (same screen where I surf) and will try to take notes on the timmings if I don't get too distracted by the game and the music ! Audacity is now recording, onto attract mode now.

BTW sorry Fonzie the game looks awesome on LCD too, even with (excessive) smoothing filter on. I wouldn't dare do it without a rad2x or pricier options, though.

EDIT (again...) ok so Audacity doesn't find any clipping even if recording at 100% everywhere, I'm doing 90% line in just in case. 50% was too low. Hope it will sound good.
    I think I used something between 1/2 to 3/4. The pots are old and I wouldn't expect every one to be identical. Don't max it out though.

Would be best to just look at a VU in your capture to avoid clipping in the "red". Also, make sure there is no added gain applied to your capture input in the settings if you've got it.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher nihilblack's Avatar

It'd be nice to have the soundtrack released like the Pier Solar was.

Thread Information