Quantcast

Page 296 of 967 FirstFirst ... 196246286292293294295296297298299300306346396796 ... LastLast
Results 4,426 to 4,440 of 14503

Thread: Paprium: The Official Thread Mk 2

Yeah, Fonzie stole the bank switching code from Super Street Fighter 2 for the 80 MEGA POWER and the custom chip code from Virtua Racing, the actual game code is all lifted from Streets of Rage. Makes totally sense when you think of it - the box layout look exactly like the old Mega Drive boxes from back in the day, so why wouldn't the code be stolen as well? Mailed Capcom's and Sega's lawyers about it, hope they reply soon.
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher AggroSky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by avlon View Post
    Looks awesome. I'm not much of a twitter user, but I just started following you. Your art style is fantastic!

I don't know how feasible it is, but have you guys ever thought of reaching out to HD Retrovision for some type of cross-promotion? Most folks are still playing their Genesis via poor quality composite or even RF in the US, and will probably miss out on many little details in the game because of it. I have a pair of the component cables put out by them, and the difference is night and day.

Video of a Genny running via component on my 4kTV
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BJY1yzWjpax/

I have no affiliation with any company, but I'm interested in sharing good stuff with the community.
    I agree 100%. In fact, I wrote an article about it about a year and a half ago:

http://www.gamingrebellion.com/2015/...raded-systems/

I also did some comparison shots of Phantasy Star 2:

The difference is like night and day. Although personally I prefer the Framemeister to RGB method, although I know that is out of some people's price range. But the option you are recommending is a good one as well. Beats the hell out of crappy old composite any day of the week. I want to SEE those pixels!

Antiquing Hedgehog Lord QuickSciFi's Avatar

^I don't know, broham. Scart may be more optimal; but my version of Phantasy Star II looks nothing like that on my CRT via regular AV cables.
    Last edited by QuickSciFi; 03-31-2017 at 08:50 PM.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent avlon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AggroSky View Post

Nice article. You really went in on those mods! I've been tempted to go in on the Framemeister, but the price is a barrier for me atm. Also, the OSSC looks interesting as well.

It's a shame that most people (at least in the USA) will be playing in composite or even RF. This game should look gorgeous on a CRT via Component. The great thing about the HD Retrovision cables is that it's a simple, one cable solution that's affordable. The bad thing is that availability is scarce, though there should be another batch available by the time this game is released.

Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tryphon View Post
    Retrospiel did. And I don't buy it a second. I'm really shocked, to say the least, that Retrospiel, whose honesty I trust, said that. I just can think he was deceived by an ill-intentioned person.
    Have you played Slaughter Sport recently?
    Last edited by retrospiel; 03-31-2017 at 09:19 PM.
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Then we set about developing killer games.

- Hayao Nakayama, Mega Drive Collected Works (p. 17)

ToeJam is a wiener Hero of Algol Guntz's Avatar

Genesis has one of the worst composite signals of any console. Makes for a bit of a loaded comparison, don't you think? You should make a comparison GIF for PC Engine composite/RGB.

Framemeister Expert Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner Tower of Power's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by QuickSciFi View Post
    ^I don't know, broham. Scart may be more optimal; but my version of Phantasy Star II looks nothing like that on my CRT via regular AV cables.
    True, it really depends on how good your CRT is, some handle composite better than others. Also, the scanlines and other CRT artifacts give it a different look. The game was designed for a CRT TV, after all.

Road Rasher

I use HD Retrovision's component cables and the difference is huge, however A/V on my CRT is nowhere near as blurry as the photos above.

ToeJam is a wiener Hero of Algol Guntz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tower of Power View Post
    True, it really depends on how good your CRT is, some handle composite better than others. Also, the scanlines and other CRT artifacts give it a different look. The game was designed for a CRT TV, after all.
    NTSC video capture devices usually have horrible quality, they always look far worse than even a low end CRT.

Quote Originally Posted by Guntz View Post
    Genesis has one of the worst composite signals of any console. Makes for a bit of a loaded comparison, don't you think? You should make a comparison GIF for PC Engine composite/RGB.
    I should clarify (and I believe I did in the article) that those images are from an LCD, which on any retro console looks FAR worse using composite than on a CRT. The article was about upgrading your retro systems to play on modern displays and how to get the best results. Obviously composite is NOT the way to go on an LCD. I wanted to show how amazing the difference is when you use RGB upscaled on an LCD, not CRT. Because let's face it, they aren't making CRT's anymore and aren't likely to ever again (although I could be wrong....).

But yes, the Genesis does have an awful composite signal. But it also supposedly has the cleanest RGB, so I figured it would make an interesting comparison.

Either way though, I'm not a CRT guy. I'm all about RGB and upscaling with a Framemeister. That to me is the best look you can get. But I understand a lot of people enjoying the look of an old school CRT display.
    Last edited by AggroSky; 03-31-2017 at 11:29 PM.

The Genesis composite signal looks bad on both CRT and LCD. Of course, the LCD just amplifies how bad it looks, especially on the Genesis.
    Funny thing is that when composite was the only option readily available, it really detracted from the Genesis vs the SNES.
    Now that I own component cables for both, the Genesis looks much sharper and cleaner than the SNES does on the same TV. Games like Shadow Dancer, Beyond Oasis, and Monster World IV looks AMAZING via component.

Fun Fact 1: My 4k TV won't even display the SNES on component, but the Genesis runs perfectly on it.

Fun Fact 2: With a power base adapter, it's funny seeing 8-bit games look nearly as clean as the NES classic edition, yet still running on the original console.

The Genesis composite signal looks bad on both CRT and LCD. Of course, the LCD just amplifies how bad it looks, especially on the Genesis.
    Funny thing is that when composite was the only option readily available, it really detracted from the Genesis vs the SNES.
    Now that I own component cables for both, the Genesis looks much sharper and cleaner than the SNES does on the same TV. Games like Shadow Dancer, Beyond Oasis, and Monster World IV looks AMAZING via component. Fun Fact: My 4k TV won't even display the SNES on component, but the Genesis runs perfectly on it.
    Same here. I have a SNES mini modded for RGB (which is supposed to be the best SNES picture you can get) and my Genesis, with no RGB mods (as it displays it natively of course) looks better. It's amazing how sharp the Gens looks through RGB, even in an unmodded stock Model 1.

Ever compared an original SNES model SNS-001 vs a Genesis model 1 through RGB? There is NO comparison!

Same here. I have a SNES mini modded for RGB (which is supposed to be the best SNES picture you can get) and my Genesis, with no RGB mods (as it displays it natively of course) looks better. It's amazing how sharp the Gens looks through RGB, even in an unmodded stock Model 1.

Ever compared an original SNES model SNS-001 vs a Genesis model 1 through RGB? There is NO comparison!
    No comparison at all! Those are the models that I have. Via RGB/Component, it's almost like I traded my Genesis in for an arcade machine. The difference is that amazing to me. Though this pic is small, you can see just how bright, sharp, clear, and colorful Sonic 1 looks via my cheap, $20 Daewoo CRT. It almost looks like a monitor.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BKDgdqfD...-by=raycommend

No comparison at all! Those are the models that I have. Via RGB/Component, it's almost like I traded my Genesis in for an arcade machine. The difference is that amazing to me. Though this pic is small, you can see just how bright, sharp, clear, and colorful Sonic 1 looks via my cheap, $20 Daewoo CRT. It almost looks like a monitor.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BKDgdqfD...-by=raycommend
    Wow! That does look REALLY good.. for a CRT

Wow! That does look REALLY good.. for a CRT
    Light guns galore, and lag free.

Thread Information