Quantcast

Page 297 of 967 FirstFirst ... 197247287293294295296297298299300301307347397797 ... LastLast
Results 4,441 to 4,455 of 14503

Thread: Paprium: The Official Thread Mk 2

BANG Wildside Expert Gadispalembang's Avatar

I'm looking at the screenshots of the game and I am indeed disappointed with the lack of consistency in their detail/shading.
    I have a personal rule of thumb in terms of shading/colour in a sprite in that it needs at least three shades per "sector" (chest, upper leg, lower leg, upper arm, head, etc.).

The backgrounds vary from good to vaporwave styled indie trash simple.

Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar

If you were to be more specific (like MUCH more specific) I am sure that Watermelon to a degree could improve the things you mentioned seeing as there still is time and graphics and code are not handled by the same person.
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Then we set about developing killer games.

- Hayao Nakayama, Mega Drive Collected Works (p. 17)

Hero of Algol

Is it really necessary to point things as atrocious as that for them to realize it needs improvement? I don't think so.

Edit: There's also a few other spots here and there which simply look odd IMO:

(perspective seems to be a bit off)

(Character's face looks weird; no muscle definition in this part of the arm for this frame but usually it's there for other frames)

(Drawing inconsistency - both across enemies (probably due to different artists working on the game on various periods of time, sprites drawn earlier vs sprites drwan later in the development) but also from one frame to another, especially in terms of how the proportion of parts of the body changes in movement)
    (Looks pretty good here)

(One leg gets way too thick and the perspective of the foot in relation to it looks odd; the second part of the arm looks disproportional now)

But those are minor problems. That one enemy of the first shot looks really bad IMO. His shading is atrocious and parts of his sprite don't look proportional (especially the legs).
    Most of what has been shown looks good/very good IMO though.
    Last edited by Barone; 04-01-2017 at 07:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    But those are minor problems. That one enemy of the first shot looks really bad IMO. His shading is atrocious, he doesn't look proportional (especially the legs).
    Most of what has been shown looks good/very good IMO though.
    Even that pink guy (or that particular frame for him) on the right in the first picture looks rushed.
    The steel barrel in the middle of picture 2 appears to have been unfinished on it's rightmost area. Where is the dithering, for one?

The green guy seems to be the most completed of all, very solid design which should have been the standard for everything else in the game.

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by Gadispalembang View Post
    Even that pink guy (or that particular frame for him) on the right in the first picture looks rushed.
    The steel barrel in the middle of picture 2 appears to have been unfinished on it's rightmost area. Where is the dithering, for one?

The green guy seems to be the most completed of all, very solid design which should have been the standard for everything else in the game.
    I agree. But I guess the super long development cycle + different artists working on the game during that period (not necessarily collaborating at the same time) might have hurt the consistency of the graphics as a whole.

You can notice that the shading of the guard (white-shaded guy with a lantern on the shoulder) looks worlds apart from other enemies.
    Some enemies and tiles use dithering, some others don't.
    Some enemies and tiles use thick contours, some others don't.
    The shading "approach" seems to vary quite a bit as well, as the contrast usage for volume perception is well applied to some enemies and almost non-existent for some others (again, like the one in the first shot, he looks flat for the most part due to that).

I have a personal rule of thumb in terms of shading/colour in a sprite in that it needs at least three shades per "sector" (chest, upper leg, lower leg, upper arm, head, etc.).
    Try that and like 90% of artists out there will hunt you down to complain about pillow shading (there simply aren't enough pixels to make three shades to not look too smooth)

i hope the collision and "feel" of the game is there, though it doesn't look like it from that footage but it's only footage and gameplay could be right on point (i hope). just wish the hits seemed stronger, they don't seem to have a real weight to them, but again i could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    Try that and like 90% of artists out there will hunt you down to complain about pillow shading (there simply aren't enough pixels to make three shades to not look too smooth)
    Plenty of 90's game which utilize three to four shades of a colour. Two shades is just lazy and looks like indie trash.

^Screenshot from Wings of Wor. At least three shades in just about everything.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Gadispalembang; 04-01-2017 at 11:51 PM.

Raging in the Streets SEGA.GENESIS1989's Avatar

Plenty of 90's game which utilize three to four shades of a colour. Two shades is just lazy and looks like indie trash.

Attachment 12142

^Screenshot from Wings of Wor. At least three shades in just about everything.
    Someone needs to learn how to post attachments ...
    "There's nothing to fear, except fear itself"
    http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s486/link2link2link/YUZOKOSHIROISAGODNEOSEEDEDITION.gif

Quote Originally Posted by SEGA.GENESIS1989 View Post
    Someone needs to learn how to post attachments ...
    Can you see the image?

No.
    http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s486/link2link2link/YUZOKOSHIROISAGODNEOSEEDEDITION.gif

No.
    Then learn to be more helpful and show me how to attach images.

EDIT: [IMG] seems to work fine!
    Last edited by Gadispalembang; 04-01-2017 at 11:53 PM.

Then learn to be more helpful and show me how to attach images.
    No. Use google.

No. Use google.

Now figure out why that developer had the luxury of using shades of "color".

P.S. That scene is not that impressive at all ...

Thread Information