Quantcast

Page 790 of 967 FirstFirst ... 290690740780786787788789790791792793794800840890 ... LastLast
Results 11,836 to 11,850 of 14503

Thread: Paprium: The Official Thread Mk 2

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent avlon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    S-Video, please.
    Seconded.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One

I don't know Fonzie and I didn't put in a preorder years ago so I don't hold any resentment towards Fonzie/WM. This game looks awesome. I can't help but feel if this was anyone other than Fonzie everyone would be super stoked.

Unfortunately, I didn't get into contemporary MD/Genesis releases until later and when I contacted WM years ago and asked about a release date they couldn't give a concrete answer so I passed on a preorder. I've sucked up the raised price and looking forward to getting my hands on this and one of the Grand Sticks. Hoping WM delivers.

The first Paprium thread is probably the most popular thread ever on this forum. For many people in the retro-gaming community who don't frequent here, that thread has become what Sega-16 is known for. Now that the game comes up again, this forum is the busiest it's been in a long time. Sega-16 and Paprium have such strange relationship with each other, whether they want to acknowledge it or not lol.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Kamon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by avlon View Post
    Seconded.
    Thirdeded

If i can i will definitely watch the stream Tuilo. Interested in your whole take with it when you try it out.

Sports Talker

S-Video, for details!
    When we see stripes, we know that's a transparency attempt.

Wildside Expert

I will copy what I said to steph but for me Paprium is not pure SOR2 besides I would find it sad if it was a copy of an SOR2 just with a "paprium" skin but I find it picks up everywhere in the gameplay there is a bit of SOR2 with rushing beat + double dragon and to this is really added a lot of items that add fun and also potato with the famous "shock pill" + drinks who add special shots for 30s, it stirs well. Do not forget also that we have 2 characters to unlock so potentially other characters with different characteristics!

Frankly it's pretty cool in the end and I think I'm far from having seen everything, what I showed you are the first 3 levels, after that I think that on 2-3 things it lacks a bit of poliche especially bugs where you pierce a few posts, certain enemies or objects if you don't press any key I think it's not much and that there will be an update but the game pushes the megadrive really far with waves up to 7 enemies + a whole bunch of onscreen stuff that didn't bother me more than that.

I find the game generous there may not be the "speed" side of an SOR2 but the game really offers a lot of variety!
    for the 3 basic characters the one with the big sprite Tug with the head of Honda it made me think of Haggar in Final Fight rather heavy, powerful blows (not a basic fan of this kind of characters in the BTAs I quickly switched), Dice the green character with the glasses gameplay level it makes you think of rushing beat you have to see the anime of the kick return ^^, and the chick Alex is the one I prefer the most "speed "it is closer to a SOR2! Remain the 2 other characters to unlock also but I think that with these 3 basic characters there is already for all styles!

After that is my opinion, we will see when others have received the game the felt pad in hand and that is specific to each I want to say.
    From kainrijames the uploader of the first 4 videos

I'll stop here for the moment, but this game in the hands of people in the Neo Geo forums or the shmups forum would be heavily criticized for such fundamental gameplay-related flaws.
    I guess a lot of SOR2/SOR3 hardcore players will also have a lot to criticize here.

And before someone tells me I'm being unfair with the comparisons, WM proposed them from the start.
    Sure. But I never expected it to be blown away gameplay wise since Fonzie wanted to implement RPG elements. I have to say I haven' t noticed those RPG features yet... but we will see. Fighting system wise it looks a little bit simplistic. But who knows maybe the RPG system will unlock a larger moveset? Like i've stated before I do not like the panic button, from games like golden axe and SOR1. I prefer a megacrunch desperation move.

A basic fighting system is not a make or break deal for the genre tho. All I ask of Paprium is to have decent crowd control gameplay, 7 enemies is a good start. I still hold Final Fight arcade still as one of the most balanced belt scroll entries. For some reason there are more enemies on screen as subsequent capcom titles, so it's pure crowd control gameplay, not the juggle borefests of later belt scrollers and the megacrunch actually feels like a balanced desperation crowd control move. I still think either Final Fight or The Guardians/Denjin Makai II (which has a juggle system... but much better implemented as the capcom/sengoku3 games) that is the pinnacle of the genre. So all in all, Paprium can still be solid if it has a basic fighting system, and even better if it has a cool score system (Knights of the Round's enemy colour coded score system for example). That being said Final Fight's AI is highly aggresive and hardly runs away... so that's what Paprium already lacks :P It's more a console belt scroll AI :P

I dunno about the neo geo or shmup forums, there seems to be some belt scroll fans who prefer a juggle system, im personally not a fan of entries like the D&D Mystara games or Sengoku 3 tho, enemies block and are big HP sponges, for the juggle system to work. And for me this brings the pacing down big time and isn't half a thrill as a good crowd control sesh. It's like juggles in tekken or 2d fighters ain't a big deal, that's some muscle memory here and there. it's the mind games in tournaments that actual matter, same with belt scrollers. It's how to approach enemy waves and crowd control, and also have a cool scoring system or so.

But what I did expect from Paprium, is aesthetics. And so far it has shown to be a pretty strong case in that matter, not only in the potrayal of the setting but in the presentation from enemies waltzing in front of the screen, to the anouncers to sprite scaling of the boss character. It's kind of like Cyberpunk 2077. It delivers on the portrayal of it's setting and aesthetics and stuff, and the gameplay is spotty at best. And bugs in the Cyberpunk genre is a pretty fitting trope haha.
    Last edited by loempiavreter; 12-17-2020 at 10:29 PM.

this game looks like a jaleco game for the snes, like rival turf levels of animation. It looks stiff in motion, i do love the color palette and the sound seems cool from what i can hear.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert zborgerd's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cabear View Post
    this game looks like a jaleco game for the snes, like rival turf levels of animation. It looks stiff in motion, i do love the color palette and the sound seems cool from what i can hear.
    I hadn't thought of Rival Turf, but now that you mention it there are indeed some similarities.

What really hurts the gameplay is the total enemies lack of aggressiveness.

That video was on easy if you did not know.

Quote Originally Posted by zredgemz View Post
    That video was on easy if you did not know.
    Really? I want to play this game in a challenging way.
    Last edited by EPSYLON EAGLE; 12-17-2020 at 10:54 PM.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One

Quote Originally Posted by zborgerd View Post
    I hadn't thought of Rival Turf, but now that you mention it there are indeed some similarities.
    I mentioned this either yesterday or the day before

Quote Originally Posted by DrLight99 View Post
    The combat reminds me of a mix between Streets of Rage 2 and Rival Turf. A lot of people hated Rival Turf but I actually really like the game so i don't mind some jankiness to the combat lol. I want to know how many enemies can appear on screen at once and how many different stages there are.

I don't think it's a good game (and it surely doesn't justify the current price tag nor all the money invested in it) but it doesn't look boring either.
    I want to play it with my friends, I'm sure we could have fun with it.
    @Barone Don't forget to thank the people who worked hard and did all they could to help make Paprium actually release... you know, so that you can play it with your friends and have all that fun.

@Chilled Thank you for the videos you posted. They were great to see. You helped get a lot of people excited about playing Paprium.
    Sega Dude

Visit my Instagram @RetroMegabit or RetroMegabit.com

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert zborgerd's Avatar

We liked RIval Turf back in the day but that's because most of the neighbor kids had SNES at the time. Would be a little later where we played SoR.

I don't think I've ever played the other two games related to Rival Turf. Have to give them a shot.

Road Rasher

Iirc baptism of fire changes the name of ennemies with names of investors before 2013

Thread Information