Quantcast

Page 928 of 951 FirstFirst ... 428828878918924925926927928929930931932938 ... LastLast
Results 13,906 to 13,920 of 14251

Thread: Paprium: The Official Thread Mk 2

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner

Hands up who believes Fonzie has three undisclosed AAA games for SNES and MD?
    No one? Oh bummer.

BANG Wildside Expert Gadispalembang's Avatar

Played quite a bit of the game so far. My opinion remains mostly unchanged from several pages ago,
    come for the decent graphics and very good music, try to ignore the rough gameplay and jump-kicking
    unless you need to clear a screen/boss safely with the latter.

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by acem77 View Post
    So many haters, I'd love to see any troll here with nothing but negative things to say do some thing even close. Some people are too stupid to even now how stupid they are to realize what amount of work it takes to get this far. "Oh I sold mine for 500 and get a bootleg later if not who cares." Get the f out for real. You fing hater. How about buy another copy since you scalped the f out of it you turd.
    You don't need to be a carpenter to see that a chair is in need of improvement.

You don't need to be a carpenter to see that a carpenter is making a bigger job of the chair than is necessary.

You don't need to be a carpenter to see that other carpenters are doing chairs, and doing them in a more customer friendly way than the first carpenter.

Pointing these things out is not 'hating.' It is just normal behaviour. Have fun on the forum calling us all turds.

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by roce View Post
    Hands up who believes Fonzie has three undisclosed AAA games for SNES and MD?
    No one? Oh bummer.
    Correct. If he had a bunch of finished AAA games we would know about it, just like how we saw that expensive trailer for Paprium years before it was released. What I imagine he has are various assets that other people produced, like the music that was done for Project N years ago. I wonder how many of the people involved ever got paid for their work?

Training-in-Hedgehog Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher tokay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    Correct. If he had a bunch of finished AAA games we would know about it
    We heard about Langrisser 2, Vixen 357, Amb96, Project N. Could very well be these games.

we saw that expensive trailer for Paprium
    How much did it cost?

I wonder how many of the people involved ever got paid for their work?
    Who did not get paid? I asked about it several years ago and never got any feedback.

Go Piko! Buy everything from Fonzie and release Paprium on Steam

I've beaten the game several times on Very Hard, and have unlocked a good amount of the content. I'm not going to beat around the bush; the gameplay is poor. Think of a 90s beat-em-up of any prominence whatsoever, and it's a mechanically better game than Paprium.

There was never any hope for the game to be a Streets of Rage 2 killer, but unfortunately it doesn't even compare to the likes of the Final Fights, other SoR games, Maximum Carnage, most of the Konami arcade beat-em-ups, or even the first Golden Axe. Yes, Paprium has a significantly larger moveset and enemy roster than some of the games on that list, but it doesn't have the mechanics to make use of these assets properly. The game would have been better off being simpler, but mechanically sound.

What Paprium has going for it, as we all know by now, is that it is very technically impressive; the amount of on-screen action is unrivaled by any beat-em-up on the Genesis, and the music is phenomenal. Paprium has its moments visually as well, but even the visuals are affected by the horrendous jank that plagues the game throughout. Certain animations are lazy and just look bad. I encountered bugs, including one soft-lock, but the game doesn't seem to be as terribly buggy as some might expect.

No, the problem it has, which was always the problem it was going to have, is the moment-to-moment gameplay. It's not good. The enemy AI is retarded, the moves aren't satisfying to connect, the meta is fundamentally broken to the core with jump kicks being so overwhelming effective and everything else being relatively weak, grabbing looks bad and feels feeble. All of this is made worse by the fact that most of the characters don't play significantly differently from one another. The list of gameplay foibles goes on and on. I'd be a lot more forgiving if the game only had a couple of core gameplay issues, but compounded they ruin the game.

I find it hilariously ironic that almost 2 months to the day after the game's release, after all that talk of "YOU CAN ONLY PLAY IT ON '90S HARDWARE!", it now works fine with the Mega SG. All that time and effort that went into the troll game to keep people from playing the game they paid for should have been used to improve the gameplay and AI, instead of a stupid mini game that was completely circumvented with a simple firmware update.

I played Paprium last night on my Mega SG with a bluetooth 8bitdo wireless controller on a 45-inch HDTV. Fuck his '90s nostalgia.

And for Fonzie to act the victim when there are still people waiting for a refund or their game is incredible. The man has zero credibility.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent avlon's Avatar

I don't think that there was any doubt that the Mega SG would support it ASAP when most cheap clones already do.

Now if the Retron 5 ever gets support for it, THAT will be ironic.

I've played the game on both my 19 inch CRT and 65 inch OLED with 8bitdo 2.4G controllers and the experience was enjoyable.

Not perfect, but enjoyable enough. Alex and L. Ektra seem to have the tightest gameplay while Tug seems to feel the sloppiest with how his attacks and grab connect.

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

One thing I have come to realise is that with older games interesting animations and creative enemy attack patterns are everything. The vehicles in Paprium just jerk forwards, I have no desire to get in them bacause attacking with them is just, boring. It should be a highlight to get in a fork lift and see the cool things it can do like pick enemies up and throw them into others, spin round etc., but it just does the same as the robot thing, the rollerskates guy, the dodgem and so on. Boring (likely an 'Oh fuck it, that'll do 'cause I'm pushed for time decision).

If there are any unique attack patterns there is no opportunity to see them as you can just mash through. Each boss I have seen is essentially the same but with a different pixel skin. All very nice to see and hear, but boring again.

The thing is, I do like it. But what a shame that after all this time, I don't love it. I'm willing to bet there will be a workaround for this as the ROM will become playable eventually, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if it gets balanced up and poloished by a keen individual; I reckon there would be an appetite for that.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert

Fonzie without sunglasses and cool attire.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent avlon's Avatar

One of the interesting things is that the Fonz wanted to create a Neo Geo beatemup on the Genesis. Now he is (not completely unreasonably) jacking up the price.

Seems like a more colorful port to the Neo would do well *AND* that audience would gladly accept the price especially as the Neo beatemup's don't play that well. Plus, he could still develop a NG cart version to justify his price.

Training-in-Hedgehog Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher tokay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    All that time and effort that went into the troll game to keep people from playing the game they paid for should have been used to improve the gameplay and AI, instead of a stupid mini game that was completely circumvented with a simple firmware update.
    How long did it take to develop the troll game?

Where did you read it was developed as a protection against clone hardware?

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by cleeg View Post
    One thing I have come to realise is that with older games interesting animations and creative enemy attack patterns are everything. The vehicles in Paprium just jerk forwards, I have no desire to get in them bacause attacking with them is just, boring. It should be a highlight to get in a fork lift and see the cool things it can do like pick enemies up and throw them into others, spin round etc., but it just does the same as the robot thing, the rollerskates guy, the dodgem and so on. Boring (likely an 'Oh fuck it, that'll do 'cause I'm pushed for time decision).

If there are any unique attack patterns there is no opportunity to see them as you can just mash through. Each boss I have seen is essentially the same but with a different pixel skin. All very nice to see and hear, but boring again.

The thing is, I do like it. But what a shame that after all this time, I don't love it. I'm willing to bet there will be a workaround for this as the ROM will become playable eventually, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if it gets balanced up and poloished by a keen individual; I reckon there would be an appetite for that.
    Objectively speaking; it's interesting, from a development point of view, that the music and the graphics step towards that entry-level professional league, but the programming/design/balance/etc is definitely not. And guess who's responsible for ALL of that? Fonzie. His end of the doesn't live up to the rest of the production/team. And it's for this reason I don't consider it 'professional indie'. I really can't see Sega publishing this as-is too, specifically because of this reason - that would be an embarrassment for them. Or they bring in M2 to fix it haha.

Thread Information