Quantcast

Page 634 of 967 FirstFirst ... 134534584624630631632633634635636637638644684734 ... LastLast
Results 9,496 to 9,510 of 14503

Thread: Paprium: The Official Thread Mk 2

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner Stifu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by needler420 View Post
    You just basically stated why they need to be licensed and regulated. Enjoy your carts catching on fire or like the SNES street fighter 2 repro that can brick your system and catch on fire.

Honestly those people deserve it though paying for a street fighter 2 repro. Mind you this was $100 and licensed to Iam8bit from Capcom. Made like 4,500 of them. They made two versions. They basically printed scarcity. iam8bit are the ones who are cashing in. They go to game companies and propose projects like this, not the other way around. You guys don't even realize they are doing the ultimate form of pandering to collectors. Buy whatever you want though. It's your money. Mind kind will still make fun of collectards and they will still make fun of me for thinking my regions releases are the gold standard.
    How are overpriced reprints related to new indie games? The former are cash grabs while the latter are not.
    No doubt a few badly-made indie games might damage consoles. They're issues that should be pointed out, publicized and fixed. But that doesn't mean you should throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Anyway, for someone who looks down on "collectards", it doesn't sound like you play games much. You're probably too busy hating on others while treasuring your original licensed games. So I wouldn't worry about your console catching fire, you'd need to turn it on first.

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Stifu View Post
    How are overpriced reprints related to new indie games? The former are cash grabs while the latter are not.
    No doubt a few badly-made indie games might damage consoles. They're issues that should be pointed out, publicized and fixed. But that doesn't mean you should throw the baby out with the bathwater.
    Thing is it's up to the consumer to decide if they want to try the cart or not. I doubt Sega even has the resources to test out new Mega Drive carts today, does anyone really expect SoJ to open up the carts and check voltages or play through looking for bugs? There is zero financial incentive for them to license a new game.

If this was really that important to gamers maybe someone could start their own independent certification process for indie games. But for collectors it will never be enough. Their loss since there's a lot of good stuff coming out now.

I've sold my consoles and am only paying for ROM releases from now on, so I should be safe. Less stuff to worry about.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher nihilblack's Avatar

Come on, guys, everyone knows that a fully licensed release like, say, Barbie Super Model, is a far better "investment" and a lot more "collectable" than an AWESOME homebrew like Tšnzer

You just basically stated why they need to be licensed and regulated. Enjoy your carts catching on fire or like the SNES street fighter 2 repro that can brick your system and catch on fire.
    So, licensed is good, except when it's licensed? This isn't as black and white as you make it out to be.

Many of these companies making new games or translating Japan-only titles have actually tried to get licensing. Nintendo and Sega won't do it because they don't manufacture those machines anymore. Sega basically shrugs its shoulders and says" eh, knock yourself out," which is as close as you can get nowadays. So, you're really making a moot argument. And if you're pissed about the Capcom SF II cartridge, yell at Capcom, since they licensed it. Maybe they should be a bit stricter about what companies do with their license?

Mind kind will still make fun of collectards and they will still make fun of me for thinking my regions releases are the gold standard.
    When you call people "collectards," you really don't do your argument any favors. Play what you want, or don't! Others will do the same.

Remaking genesis controllers is a cash grab though. You can find them super easy and cheaper then repro controllers. All it is is new product for the collectard.
    Really? When did Sega start making blutooth wireless controllers that work on all my Genesis models and PC? Retro-Bits' controllers are licensed by Sega, BTW.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert

What is the point of this discussion?
    It does not make sense !

Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    So, licensed is good, except when it's licensed? This isn't as black and white as you make it out to be.

Many of these companies making new games or translating Japan-only titles have actually tried to get licensing. Nintendo and Sega won't do it because they don't manufacture those machines anymore. Sega basically shrugs its shoulders and says" eh, knock yourself out," which is as close as you can get nowadays. So, you're really making a moot argument. And if you're pissed about the Capcom SF II cartridge, yell at Capcom, since they licensed it. Maybe they should be a bit stricter about what companies do with their license?

When you call people "collectards," you really don't do your argument any favors. Play what you want, or don't! Others will do the same.

Really? When did Sega start making blutooth wireless controllers that work on all my Genesis models and PC? Retro-Bits' controllers are licensed by Sega, BTW.
    My SF II is just a example. I don't care enough to tell capcom anything. I don't care if you're the sucker who bought one.

My opinion is of many others overpriced cash grab on the retro scene. Collectards is a harsh not nice word but I didn't event the saying. It's become part of the culture of collecting video games. It's like smelly smash players. Just part of the culture.

I don't know if the controllers were bluetooth but official wireless ones have existed since the consoles release. They aren't easy to find and do have issues dropping signal from the receiver. The repro controllers do make a little more sense though.

Like someone else said they are hard to come by and expensive in his region. So when you look at the picture from a international level then I can see a market in other regions.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One

Hm, somehow i think topics got mixed up.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert

While we wait for a new gameplay video there is one from SoR4 demo.

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by molasar View Post
    While we wait for a new gameplay video there is one from SoR4 demo.
    I wasn't crazy about the art style at first but when everything is in motion it does look pretty good, I would buy that on Steam.

Paprium killer.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training jrdoran's Avatar

Collectards is a harsh not nice word but I didn't event the saying. It's become part of the culture of collecting video games.

I frequent many places on the internet where collector's tend to visit and have never seen or heard the word until you used it. You can argue collecting licensed over unlicensed games without resulting to childish insults.

It's become part of the culture of collecting video games. It's like smelly smash players. Just part of the culture.
    A toxic culture you're perpetuating. Please don't hide behind such embarrassing excuses.

Quote Originally Posted by nihilblack View Post
    Paprium killer.
    The one and only Paprium killer is Fonzie. If Paprium was properly finished, I'd rather play it over SoR 4. Even though SoR 4 looks better and more enjoyable overall, it still looks like a remake of SoR 2, a game I've already played to death.

Man, it was meant as a joke, since Paprium was labelled Streets of Rage 2 killer . Even more fun is the fact that a new Streets of Rage is coming out before Paprium. Crazy stuff happens around Fonzie.

I thought we all left all the '____tard' baloney behind when we left high school.

As for me? I just enjoy playing games on real H/W. It's just part of the experience for me, not necessarily something I can put a finger on.
    I won't be too much of an ass to folks playing games on emulators though, I really don't care anymore just so long as they don't start drawing a bunch of undue assumptions about things.

(That's partly why I get miffed with lazy emulator authors who insist on using outdated emulation cores, as it leads folks to believe the consoles and/or games look and/or sound a lot worse than they really are. I do make exceptions for certain emulators if they do things in a funny or otherwise interesting manner, though.)

All that said, I do believe that some folks on eBay ask for WAY too flippin much money for old cartridges. I can sorta stomach $70 for an uncommon game, but $550? No frickin way.
    Just gotta remember to not jump at the first offer I come across, and not be afraid to hold out til I find someone who somehow still sanely prices things. (They're pretty uncommon these days, but almost always worth the wait.)
    Last edited by Eep386; 06-03-2019 at 04:49 PM. Reason: I don't care ANYMORE

Thread Information